Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

Back out running again these last few weeks.  When i wasn't running I didn't miss it but now I'm back out I look forward to runs now. Entered the big one in October again and been out training with a lad who is a lot fitter than me but it has dragged me on well. Ran 5 miles the other night in 44 minutes and that would be way above the level I was at in 2014.  Hoping to break 4 hrs 30 in October which would be a big drop from 4.55 last time round. As long as I see the finish line though I'll be happy.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

imtommygunn

Either champion chip ireland or ni running seanie. I have seen placings but there were no times.

magpie seanie

I got the results via a link on the race FB page. Guy I know did a good time for his first marathon considering the heat.

Went out for a run myself there earlier and am wrecked after it.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 05, 2016, 09:08:32 PM
I got the results via a link on the race FB page. Guy I know did a good time for his first marathon considering the heat.

Went out for a run myself there earlier and am wrecked after it.

Some heat though in fairness seanie.
Just back myself from a 8miler and wearing a heartstrap. Pace was way slower than it normally is at 70%. Must be the heat.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

tonto1888

looking to do a bit of running lads so advice would be appreciated. Haven't ran anything since I done Liverpool half marathon a few years ago 1.57 with no training. Where should I start? (I do crossfit if that's any help)

Verticalball

New to the forum folks, looking a bit of advice. I've been running on and off for 4-5 years now, started to get knee pain and a scan showed that it's patellar tendonitis. Basically I want to get back to running as the one target I have is to complete the Dublin Marathon having completed Belfast twice  and was wondering if anyone has advice to speed up the process? I've been told to cycle but it seems to be flaring up rather than helping, to hit the weights to strengthen the leg muscles which I have been doing.

heffo

Quote from: Verticalball on June 08, 2016, 01:44:22 PM
New to the forum folks, looking a bit of advice. I've been running on and off for 4-5 years now, started to get knee pain and a scan showed that it's patellar tendonitis. Basically I want to get back to running as the one target I have is to complete the Dublin Marathon having completed Belfast twice  and was wondering if anyone has advice to speed up the process? I've been told to cycle but it seems to be flaring up rather than helping, to hit the weights to strengthen the leg muscles which I have been doing.

Obviously I think most people will tell you to go to a physio but aside from that:

Swimming - great cross training non-impact cardio
S&C classes - great for your core - take it handy on the knee until you know yourself what you can and can't do
Try a static bike or turbo for the cycling

I'm doing a marathon in two weeks doing less than four weeks running training and mainly cross training as above..

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on June 08, 2016, 04:03:41 PM

I'm doing a marathon in two weeks doing less than four weeks running training and mainly cross training as above..
Which one you doing.

I signed up for the Rock n Roll Half in a few months. If I remember rightly you did that last year didn't you?

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on June 08, 2016, 04:16:45 PM

Which one you doing.

I signed up for the Rock n Roll Half in a few months. If I remember rightly you did that last year didn't you?

Waterford - I'll let you know how it works out - could be a disaster yet!

Really enjoyed Rock n roll last year - good route

The Iceman

Lads Stevey McGeown is running the perimeter of Ireland - he started 8 days ago and is doing 39.3 miles a day for 60 consecutive days to raise money for 3 great charities.  For the runners on here who could join him for a few miles or for those of you who would donate a few shillings...
https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/steveys-epic-adventure-1
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on June 08, 2016, 06:59:22 PM
Lads Stevey McGeown is running the perimeter of Ireland - he started 8 days ago and is doing 39.3 miles a day for 60 consecutive days to raise money for 3 great charities.  For the runners on here who could join him for a few miles or for those of you who would donate a few shillings...
https://give.everydayhero.com/ie/steveys-epic-adventure-1

Fair play to him, that is some challenge.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on June 08, 2016, 05:01:18 PM

Which one you doing.

Is there pacers at the rock n roll half?

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2016, 08:54:42 AM
Quote from: heffo on June 08, 2016, 05:01:18 PM

Which one you doing.

Is there pacers at the rock n roll half?

I don't remember seeing any last year

laoislad

So I bought a fancy Garmin 225 (ebay second hand €90 bargin)with a heart rate sensor built into the wrist.
I've tried hr training before and always hated wearing the strap on my chest but liked the results I was getting so I'm hoping the watch will help me stick at it.
Anyways my question is..I had thought Zone 2 was the right zone for long runs/easy runs.
The garmin has a screen telling you what zone you are in. What has me confused is the aerobic zone as they call it is zone 3 70% to 80% HRR.
I believed zone 2 was the aerobic zone.
See attached picture for the different zones as per the watch.
So what zone should I be in for those lovely long easy runs.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on June 09, 2016, 09:02:27 PM
So I bought a fancy Garmin 225 (ebay second hand €90 bargin)with a heart rate sensor built into the wrist.
I've tried hr training before and always hated wearing the strap on my chest but liked the results I was getting so I'm hoping the watch will help me stick at it.
Anyways my question is..I had thought Zone 2 was the right zone for long runs/easy runs.
The garmin has a screen telling you what zone you are in. What has me confused is the aerobic zone as they call it is zone 3 70% to 80% HRR.
I believed zone 2 was the aerobic zone.
See attached picture for the different zones as per the watch.
So what zone should I be in for those lovely long easy runs.

My understanding = Z2

Are you calculating your HR manually or did you have a VO2 max test done?