Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

I've run five times in the last eleven days - no method to it, just running up the hill and back down. Today was first day I really tried to push it a bit more. At this stage I just want to run and finish a 5k and was hoping to do that in the 25 mins as mentioned - I hadn't considered doind any sort of programmed training. Would I be best starting that already?

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on May 25, 2016, 09:13:38 AM
Was doing C25K last year and was all set to do my first parkrun before getting a trapped nerve in my back. That, plus leaving Ireland set me back and I fell away from it. Have started again in the last couple of weeks and have been doing runs here that are just under 5k (between 4.4. and 4.6), but they're up a hill and back down. It's a pretty steep f**king hill (Montjuic in Barcelona for those of you who know it) with the total ascent being about 90m.

Am hoping to do a few more weeks of this and perhaps a slightly longer route to get the distance into my legs before running my first 5k (at last!), but my question is how does hill running translate to the flat? This morning I ran the hill route in 25.49 and while there may have been a little bit of scope for pushing the pace more on the uphill section, it wouldn0t be much. I have in my head that I'd like to be able to dip under 25 mins for 5k. Is this feasible at this stage?

Still hate the f**king thing, so no sign of that bug you spoke of Laoislad. It would want to hurry the f**k up!
Maybe if stopped running up hills all the time you would start to enjoy it!!
Seriously though hills are great and I actually love doing them but you should maybe do some interval sessions on a flat surface?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on May 25, 2016, 10:42:43 AM
Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2016, 10:16:19 AM
I think you will easily break 25 mins if you are training on a hill. Just find a flat track and a race environment will pull you along.

Even if the training is only half on the hill? It was 2.3km uphill (at what I worked out to be about 4% gradient) and then the other half back down the same way.

I think so. Running down hill isn't that easy either. Flat is easier either way. As said above, do a parkrun (there doesn't appear to be any in Spain) or find a local 5k race and you will break 25mins. 

Here is one in August: https://www.mynextrun.com/color-obstacle-rush-barcelona

There was one a few days ago unfortunately.

There seems to be loads of 10k runs but very few 5ks in Barcelona. Maybe if you are home some weekend do a parkrun for free. Remember to sign up online for your barcode to get a time.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2016, 01:17:28 PM
I think you will easily break 25 mins if you are training on a hill. Just find a flat track and a race environment will pull you along.

Even if the training is only half on the hill? It was 2.3km uphill (at what I worked out to be about 4% gradient) and then the other half back down the same way.

I think so. Running down hill isn't that easy either. Flat is easier either way. As said above, do a parkrun (there doesn't appear to be any in Spain) or find a local 5k race and you will break 25mins. 

There seems to be loads of 10k runs but very few 5ks in Barcelona. Maybe if you are home some weekend do a parkrun for free. Remember to sign up online for your barcode to get a time.

Yes, I signed up for PArkrun last year before banjaxing myself. The above is an "event race" - obstacle course etc. I'd signed up for one in September but now have to go to a wedding for it ffs.

Had planned on doing them any time I'm home in Belfast or Dublin, but nothing booked yet.

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on May 25, 2016, 01:27:05 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2016, 01:17:28 PM

Yes, I signed up for PArkrun last year before banjaxing myself. The above is an "event race" - obstacle course etc. I'd signed up for one in September but now have to go to a wedding for it ffs.

Had planned on doing them any time I'm home in Belfast or Dublin, but nothing booked yet.

Ah right, hard to get a pb then.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse of a city to run in actually - vast majority of system is in blocks, so you hit traffic lights all the time. That's one of the reasons I've been doing the hill run - it's a decent uniterrupted stretch.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on May 25, 2016, 01:44:34 PM
Yeah, it's a pain in the arse of a city to run in actually - vast majority of system is in blocks, so you hit traffic lights all the time. That's one of the reasons I've been doing the hill run - it's a decent uniterrupted stretch.

bound to be parks with a track walking area around it!! map out a 5k and away ya go?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Have you gotten back into it yet muppet?

Clov

I notice on Strava that they give you a Gradient Adjusted Pace (GAP) that translates your hill efforts into an estimate of what your pace might have been on the flat. Not sure how accurate it is though.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

laoislad

Quote from: Clov on May 25, 2016, 03:34:08 PM
I notice on Strava that they give you a Gradient Adjusted Pace (GAP) that translates your hill efforts into an estimate of what your pace might have been on the flat. Not sure how accurate it is though.
I've always wondered what that was.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2016, 02:07:57 PM
Have you gotten back into it yet muppet?

Very slowly. Up to 8k and 28 mins for 5.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: gallsman on May 25, 2016, 11:32:49 AM
I've run five times in the last eleven days - no method to it, just running up the hill and back down. Today was first day I really tried to push it a bit more. At this stage I just want to run and finish a 5k and was hoping to do that in the 25 mins as mentioned - I hadn't considered doind any sort of programmed training. Would I be best starting that already?

Basic structure - build cardio, build strength then build speed.

If you run longer slower for a bit , ie a month or two, your cardio will build up. While it sounds counter intuitive to run slower and get faster it actually works really well when you are starting out at the running.

After that then build in hill reps,fartleks,controlled faster running etc but if you use slow runs as your training runs for a while you will see a lot of gain. Longer does not mean miles and miles - even 8k would do if your current is 5 or 6 or whatever.

Basically train slow and run hard in your parkrun for a bit... You will also enjoy it more.

Orior

Anyone here do the Newry marathon yesterday? It was a hot one!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SHEEDY

Done newry half marathon on Sunday, serious heat to run in. Enjoyed it though.
nil satis nisi optimum

magpie seanie

Anyone know where I can find Derry marathon results? A work colleague was doing it (his first marathon) and hoping he did ok. Not great weather for running!