Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I'd only bring the ipod occasionally on a run but when I do its usually on a long run and I'd listen to podcasts more so than music.The Graham Hunter podcasts are pretty good and can pass an hour easily when on a run. The interview he did with Damien Duff was excellent.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Cool. He's a good listen alright. I go through phases but at the moment I need shit to listen to because it's a little uncomfortable building back up to any sort of level. Thanks.

mrdeeds

Does anyone know if the Bohermeen 5km is relatively flat and favourable for PRs? Done Royal county last week and last 3km climbing and serious wind into face.

imtommygunn

http://fb.me/4I6j6nzwk

Great video from irish universities that has went viral.

pullhard

I've got a half marathon on sunday, but chafed badly around my nuts on a long run last week. any tips to aid recovery?

laoislad

What is it about running in the rain!
Just in the door from a 10k run in the lashings of rain, fecking loved every second of it!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Hell and Back race on this weekend in Monaghan.... Anyone doing it? Or done before? 100 of us doing it on Saturday
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleafgael

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 19, 2016, 08:00:04 AM
Hell and Back race on this weekend in Monaghan.... Anyone doing it? Or done before? 100 of us doing it on Saturday

Monaghan? Is there two of them on this weekend?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleafgael on May 19, 2016, 09:51:38 AM

I'm sure its Monaghan ... well I'm getting picked up at 9.. my wave starts at 12... where is the other one? Bray? must be some money maker

21 MAY
HELL & BACK Zeus
Saturday at 10:30
Baronscourt Estate
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 19, 2016, 05:13:18 PM

I'm sure its Monaghan ... well I'm getting picked up at 9.. my wave starts at 12... where is the other one? Bray? must be some money maker

21 MAY
HELL & BACK Zeus
Baronscourt Estate

Is the Baronscourt Estate not in Newtonstewart, Co.Tyrone?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 19, 2016, 07:03:05 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 19, 2016, 05:13:18 PM

21 MAY
HELL & BACK Zeus
Baronscourt Estate

Is the Baronscourt Estate not in Newtonstewart, Co.Tyrone?

Haven't a foggy.... Someone said Monaghan... Tyrone it is then

gallsman

Was doing C25K last year and was all set to do my first parkrun before getting a trapped nerve in my back. That, plus leaving Ireland set me back and I fell away from it. Have started again in the last couple of weeks and have been doing runs here that are just under 5k (between 4.4. and 4.6), but they're up a hill and back down. It's a pretty steep f**king hill (Montjuic in Barcelona for those of you who know it) with the total ascent being about 90m.

Am hoping to do a few more weeks of this and perhaps a slightly longer route to get the distance into my legs before running my first 5k (at last!), but my question is how does hill running translate to the flat? This morning I ran the hill route in 25.49 and while there may have been a little bit of scope for pushing the pace more on the uphill section, it wouldn0t be much. I have in my head that I'd like to be able to dip under 25 mins for 5k. Is this feasible at this stage?

Still hate the f**king thing, so no sign of that bug you spoke of Laoislad. It would want to hurry the f**k up!

muppet

Quote from: gallsman on May 25, 2016, 09:13:38 AM
Was doing C25K last year and was all set to do my first parkrun before getting a trapped nerve in my back. That, plus leaving Ireland set me back and I fell away from it. Have started again in the last couple of weeks and have been doing runs here that are just under 5k (between 4.4. and 4.6), but they're up a hill and back down. It's a pretty steep f**king hill (Montjuic in Barcelona for those of you who know it) with the total ascent being about 90m.

Am hoping to do a few more weeks of this and perhaps a slightly longer route to get the distance into my legs before running my first 5k (at last!), but my question is how does hill running translate to the flat? This morning I ran the hill route in 25.49 and while there may have been a little bit of scope for pushing the pace more on the uphill section, it wouldn0t be much. I have in my head that I'd like to be able to dip under 25 mins for 5k. Is this feasible at this stage?

Still hate the f**king thing, so no sign of that bug you spoke of Laoislad. It would want to hurry the f**k up!

I think you will easily break 25 mins if you are training on a hill. Just find a flat track and a race environment will pull you along.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2016, 10:16:19 AM
I think you will easily break 25 mins if you are training on a hill. Just find a flat track and a race environment will pull you along.

Even if the training is only half on the hill? It was 2.3km uphill (at what I worked out to be about 4% gradient) and then the other half back down the same way.

imtommygunn

The best way to train for these things is not to go flat out on your runs and aim for times...

Aim for the times in parkruns etc and use the runs to increase fitness to begin with. You'd actually benefit more from doing that loop twice at a slower pace.

What you're doing will improve you but not as much as a slower run more beneficial to your cardio. (Assuming you are running hard all the time!)