Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 12, 2016, 12:02:58 PM
If you use the 70% heart rate rule for your cardio you will be able to go longer and that will help if you're worried on weight. Once you start running 90 minutes plus regularly the weight drops off.

Gels for what - long runs? I've only ever went 90 minutes to 2 hours and have never really seen the need for them... They are just things you have to get used to if you want them or there are glucose tablets i think i know some people take?

Wholewheat pasta, brown rice and porridge are your friends as a runner... (Probably sweet potatoes too I think??)

Yeah for half marathon I used them. I know some others swear by the jelly beans. I struggle with the gels to be honest so would try and avoid if I could, but I know others really rate them.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 12, 2016, 12:13:07 PM
If you use the 70% heart rate rule for your cardio you will be able to go longer and that will help if you're worried on weight. Once you start running 90 minutes plus regularly the weight drops off.

Gels for what - long runs? I've only ever went 90 minutes to 2 hours and have never really seen the need for them... They are just things you have to get used to if you want them or there are glucose tablets i think i know some people take?

Wholewheat pasta, brown rice and porridge are your friends as a runner... (Probably sweet potatoes too I think??)

Yeah for half marathon I used them. I know some others swear by the jelly beans. I struggle with the gels to be honest so would try and avoid if I could, but I know others really rate them.

What i find brilliant for a boost during long runs are club milks! A mate of mine swears by dried apricots and dates, each to their own i suppose.

muppet

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 11, 2016, 03:48:14 PM
Cheers guys, does it cover the like of diet, how to prepare for the race etc as well or is it all Heart rate focused?

I would recommend it, if I was running that is. But when I was running it changed everything for me within a month.

Here are used versions starting at $0.79 plus $3.99 shipping: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1891369849/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Can't go wrong with that.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

The reason I keep giving up on the heart rate training is I hate wearing the heart rate strap on my chest. It drives me mad after a while.
Are the new watches that measure your HR from your wrist any good? I'd buy one if I thought they were accurate enough because I do think the HR training does work.
I think Garmin have one .
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 12, 2016, 02:46:27 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 12, 2016, 12:13:07 PM

What i find brilliant for a boost during long runs are club milks! A mate of mine swears by dried apricots and dates, each to their own i suppose.
I used jelly for triathlons
just the basic bar of jelly straight off the supermarket shelf

magpie seanie

Right lads and lassies. I'm getting back into it but I'm in bad shape. Struggled to do 4.5k last week and couldn't walk properly for couple of days. Did 5k this evening and worried about the stairs the next few days but this has gone too far. Need a target to work towards but the next 3 weeks are just to get some sort of strength back into the legs. No Warriors Run for me this year, fairly sure I'm going to be away that weekend. Think a half marathon would be a good challenge.

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 12, 2016, 11:36:03 PM
Right lads and lassies. I'm getting back into it but I'm in bad shape. Struggled to do 4.5k last week and couldn't walk properly for couple of days. Did 5k this evening and worried about the stairs the next few days but this has gone too far. Need a target to work towards but the next 3 weeks are just to get some sort of strength back into the legs. No Warriors Run for me this year, fairly sure I'm going to be away that weekend. Think a half marathon would be a good challenge.

I would suggest that you just go out and run consistently (at least 4/5 times a week for a month or 2 - min. 20 miles/ week)  without having any particular goal in mind. When you get a bit of fitness/endurance going, maybe then target an event. There is no way a 4 or 5k should be leaving you sore in fairness. If they are, you are just not fit at all.

On a different note I did Manchester Marathon on Sunday. Not great. My 3rd fastest time over the distance but wheels started coming off a long way off and it was a disappointment as regards time. I've already given myself several reasons why it went pear-shaped but we all know reasons are just excuses and to hell with that.
Apart from my time I was a but disappointed by the event. The route is nowhere near the city centre and has little character.
The collection of belongings after was a joke. People who were 4/5 hours out on the road spent up to another 3 hours standing in a queue to pick up their bags after. The first time I ve ever seen a Q that was literally a mile long! And the Q was 2/3 wide. It snaked around the stands of the cricked ground in several folds. Fair play to English folk - the stiff upper lip still exists and they are prepared to queue for ever  and put up with any hardship without much complaint. You could see why they were willing to obey orders, and take over the world for their betters. 
They had 15,000 runners and they will be lucky to get half that after that mess. They were lucky it was a decent afternoon weather-wise.
A windy wet day there would have been serious issues with hypothermia. It was ridiculous and left a sour taste. 
The event itself could be a lot better if they got the afters sorted. Nobody wants to battle their way out through a crowd and Q for any length of time after a marathon.

muppet

Snap. Except I am probably in worse shape. When I stopped getting even close to PBs last summer, I lost all interest and haven't even run for last orders in 6 months.

I need major motivation and in that regard I am thinking of targeting the big one in October.

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb: http://www.active.com/running/articles/how-to-go-from-zero-to-marathon-in-six-months
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on April 13, 2016, 12:57:34 AM

I would suggest that you just go out and run consistently (at least 4/5 times a week for a month or 2 - min. 20 miles/ week)  without having any particular goal in mind. When you get a bit of fitness/endurance going, maybe then target an event. There is no way a 4 or 5k should be leaving you sore in fairness. If they are, you are just not fit at all.

On a different note I did Manchester Marathon on Sunday. Not great. My 3rd fastest time over the distance but wheels started coming off a long way off and it was a disappointment as regards time. I've already given myself several reasons why it went pear-shaped but we all know reasons are just excuses and to hell with that.
Apart from my time I was a but disappointed by the event. The route is nowhere near the city centre and has little character.
The collection of belongings after was a joke. People who were 4/5 hours out on the road spent up to another 3 hours standing in a queue to pick up their bags after. The first time I ve ever seen a Q that was literally a mile long! And the Q was 2/3 wide. It snaked around the stands of the cricked ground in several folds. Fair play to English folk - the stiff upper lip still exists and they are prepared to queue for ever  and put up with any hardship without much complaint. You could see why they were willing to obey orders, and take over the world for their betters. 
They had 15,000 runners and they will be lucky to get half that after that mess. They were lucky it was a decent afternoon weather-wise.
A windy wet day there would have been serious issues with hypothermia. It was ridiculous and left a sour taste. 
The event itself could be a lot better if they got the afters sorted. Nobody wants to battle their way out through a crowd and Q for any length of time after a marathon.
That'll surely dent their intentions to be top UK marathon after London. Heard course is flat though? Manchester wouldn't be the most aesthetically pleasing place at the best of times...like most UK cities.

Dubh driocht

Well done Moysider, sounds a bad show and that's a reminder of how well organised Dublin is. Muppet and MS- find your nearest parkrun. It's a great job for rebuilding the commitment and getting the old buzz again.

Orior

Interesting development that is affecting one Parkrun in England. The local authority want to charge Parkrun for the use of its park.

Argument for: 300 runners every Saturday means extra maintenance

Argument against: the majority of runners already pay council tax for the upkeep of the parks

The council voted for. This could be the first of many, north and south.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

It was a 5-4 vote in favour with a few abstaining from what i read.

There was a problem in cardiff a few years ago too.

Really don't think it will take off. The councils fund these things as it helps them meet targets for adult participation so it scratches their back too.

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on April 13, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Snap. Except I am probably in worse shape. When I stopped getting even close to PBs last summer, I lost all interest and haven't even run for last orders in 6 months.

I need major motivation and in that regard I am thinking of targeting the big one in October.

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb: http://www.active.com/running/articles/how-to-go-from-zero-to-marathon-in-six-months
Good luck lads. Get a few runs under the belt and you'll have the buzz back soon enough.
See you at the start line in October muppet!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Best of luck Muppet, special commemorative DCM medal this year too

Rois

Same here. MS I felt the same after my first run since Jan. Lungs were burning!! But I've been here before and know it will get easier. Did a 10k pb this time last year.
Maybe Lisburn 10k for me in June.