Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on April 01, 2016, 08:18:46 AM
I went for a long run yesterday evening(what a beautiful evening it was too!) and half way through I got what I can only describe as pins and needles or a numbness like sensation in my left foot. It lasted for a few miles and then went.
What could be the reason for something like that? It felt weird but didn't hurt so I just kept running.
Does your foot feel numb as well? I used to get this changed my trainers n doesn't happen anymore. Mind you I'm only a casual runner but still was weird when I got felt like I could easily topple over.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: ballinaman on March 31, 2016, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on March 31, 2016, 01:17:39 PM
Wondering if anyone is doing Connemara on April 10th? Always a good way to kick off the year.
Sadists who came up with that course. Lovely scenery.....in a car!!
Best of luck An Gaeilgoir!

Have a lot of work done for it around the hills of Tourmakeady... looking forward to it..

laoislad

Anyone else do the Great Ireland run in the Phoenix Park yesterday?
Windy and Hilly!
First 5k was fine,the second half was torture.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Gaeilgoir

Not as Hilly and  windy as Connemara yesterday! ;D, after a couple of years of slippage, it was back to its best yesterday, managed to know 13 minutes off last years time and bagged a new PB for the half....

laoislad

Good man fair play.
You going to do Dublin Marathon again this year?

An Gaeilgoir

No, mainly do the halves now, cant commit to the time or the training, would run a half most weeks, either in training or in a race, its a distance that suits me. The memories of Roebuck road are still too fresh in the memory to go through all that again.

trueblue1234

Anyone care to recommend a good book that will help cover things with regards to training for longer distances? Ideally one that will include how the hell to use a heart rate monitor to help improve times. I generally just google things, but would be interested in reading an in-depth approach that would cover diet, training, recovery etc.

TIA
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on April 11, 2016, 02:22:22 PM
No, mainly do the halves now, cant commit to the time or the training, would run a half most weeks, either in training or in a race, its a distance that suits me. The memories of Roebuck road are still too fresh in the memory to go through all that again.
Aye, we were in some state when I met you at the bottom of Roebuck alright!
I never felt pain like it before or since.
I'm going to give it another go this year hopefully.

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 11, 2016, 02:28:39 PM
Anyone care to recommend a good book that will help cover things with regards to training for longer distances? Ideally one that will include how the hell to use a heart rate monitor to help improve times. I generally just google things, but would be interested in reading an in-depth approach that would cover diet, training, recovery etc.

TIA
A few of us on here bought a book called Heart rate training for the compleat idiot by John L Parker
I use it now and again but can never really stick to training just by heart rate.

imtommygunn

I would swear by that book true blue. It explains it well and there are some training schedules in there.

Heart rate training takes discipline but it really is worth it.

trueblue1234

Cheers guys, does it cover the like of diet, how to prepare for the race etc as well or is it all Heart rate focused?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 11, 2016, 03:48:14 PM
Cheers guys, does it cover the like of diet, how to prepare for the race etc as well or is it all Heart rate focused?

I wouldn't worry too much about your diet
If you're worried about losing weight then it will naturally fall off you once you're training hard. Take it handy on the booze and takeaways. Don't eat too late at night

If its nutrition, my advice would be to eat sensibly, not too many carbs, try and get protein into you as soon as you can after a hard session. Have a good balance to your diet, keep the portions in check. Don't eat immediately before you go running. If you're doing longer distances see what works for you. I don't find gels much use but other swear by them, others get sick from them.
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

trueblue1234

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 12, 2016, 11:51:32 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on April 11, 2016, 03:48:14 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about your diet
If you're worried about losing weight then it will naturally fall off you once you're training hard. Take it handy on the booze and takeaways. Don't eat too late at night

If its nutrition, my advice would be to eat sensibly, not too many carbs, try and get protein into you as soon as you can after a hard session. Have a good balance to your diet, keep the portions in check. Don't eat immediately before you go running. If you're doing longer distances see what works for you. I don't find gels much use but other swear by them, others get sick from them.

Yeah it was more the nutrition side of things. I've tried gels and am a bit meh on them to be honest. I don't know if they help or hinder as some of them are a struggle to swallow.

imtommygunn

If you use the 70% heart rate rule for your cardio you will be able to go longer and that will help if you're worried on weight. Once you start running 90 minutes plus regularly the weight drops off.

Gels for what - long runs? I've only ever went 90 minutes to 2 hours and have never really seen the need for them... They are just things you have to get used to if you want them or there are glucose tablets i think i know some people take?

Wholewheat pasta, brown rice and porridge are your friends as a runner... (Probably sweet potatoes too I think??)

Clov

In the last marathon i did, a couple of years ago, the gels gave me the runs  :-[ Made the mistake of not using at all in training.

I'm back in training for another marathon this June. Anyone recommend a good alternative to the gels for refuelling during the race? I was thinking of using a carbohydrate drink?
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"