Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2016, 09:39:38 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 01, 2016, 08:49:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 01, 2016, 11:18:03 AM
thanks to some serious interval training, 3.30 1km repeats with 500 m jog in between, i can now do a 41 minute 10km. Never raced a half marathon before but do you think 90 mins is achievable? thanks
What were your times before you started the interval training?

44 mins. 21 for 5km
Do you feel the intervals really gave you the boost to go faster? Did you mix it up with long slow runs also or was it all just intervals you did?

mixed in long runs as well but nothing over 12km which i guess is not really that long. i cant see how the long runs would help tho.  just wondering if i could keep a 4.15 pace for 21k's. i think it might be possible but il not find out til i do an actual race i guess

trueblue1234

Hill Repeats? What format should they take? Over what length and climb should you be looking for? And how many/ how long should you do them for? I haven't a clue!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Hill repeats are all about form over speed. They are to build efficiency.

They should be ~1 minute long with a reasonably steep, but not too steep, incline and you should start with about 6 and build to about 16 upping by 2 reps every 2 weeks.

Key thing is form and you should be doing the last one in the same time as the first.

Intervals are great too and both have their place in a training program. They can be both be used in a well periodised program. Short intervals will improve you very quickly but will only improve you for 4-8 weeks so doing them indefinitely won't keep improving you.

The idea is build the strength prior to intervals then build on the strength with the speed. Speed comes from strength is our coach's motto...

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 01, 2016, 11:57:40 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2016, 09:39:38 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 01, 2016, 08:49:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on February 01, 2016, 04:44:44 PM
Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on February 01, 2016, 11:18:03 AM
thanks to some serious interval training, 3.30 1km repeats with 500 m jog in between, i can now do a 41 minute 10km. Never raced a half marathon before but do you think 90 mins is achievable? thanks
What were your times before you started the interval training?

44 mins. 21 for 5km
Do you feel the intervals really gave you the boost to go faster? Did you mix it up with long slow runs also or was it all just intervals you did?

mixed in long runs as well but nothing over 12km which i guess is not really that long. i cant see how the long runs would help tho.  just wondering if i could keep a 4.15 pace for 21k's. i think it might be possible but il not find out til i do an actual race i guess

Long runs (90-120 mins) will bring you on no end, a slow pace. Its probably whats holding you back from a sub 20 and sub 40 5k/10k if you're doing 3.30/km intervals. Also I'd mix them up. Try maybe 3k-1.5k-500m, progressively faster. 2 x3k, 4x1500m etc. How many repeats of the 1k are you doing and are you holding the 3.30?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

A long run is a must. 10 mile min i wouod say. Speed will get you good 5k but you'll die off in a 10k...

magpie seanie

Quote from: heffo on February 01, 2016, 11:58:12 AM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 01, 2016, 11:11:14 AM
I did Heffo, it was a good event, i think around 3k started, came in a minute and a half under my target, so not bad for January. The route was a bit flatter this year, due to the roadworks done on the seafront, maybe that helped my time.

Great running!

Good event, enjoyed it

I see our Mary Cullen won the ladies race in a pretty tasty time. Exceptionally talented athlete who has been unlucky with injuries etc over the years. She's determined to go to Rio and should be able to do the qualifying times for 5000 and 10000 if she stays healthy. We've never had a female Olympian from Sligo (only two men ever) so it would be great to see. Good luck to her.

No1

Kilclief GAC's annual 10k race coming up on Sunday 28 February.  Starts at 1pm from St Malachy's Park, Kilclief (couple of mile outside Strangford).  A nice flat out and back course.  5k option also on offer.

It clashes with the Down V Kerry game in Newry but not being at that might be a blessing in disguise for some of us!  :o

trueblue1234

Been doing a few 10K runs lately. about 1 a week. Not races just on my own. No great times. Then did a 11 mile run at the weekend (Preparing for a Half). But I've had a pain in the sole of my foot since. Really sore when walking. I don't think I've broken anything but feels like really bad bruised. Any ideas of what it might be and what to do? Don't really want to rest too long given the timeframe for the half.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

ballinaman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 18, 2016, 10:28:24 AM
Been doing a few 10K runs lately. about 1 a week. Not races just on my own. No great times. Then did a 11 mile run at the weekend (Preparing for a Half). But I've had a pain in the sole of my foot since. Really sore when walking. I don't think I've broken anything but feels like really bad bruised. Any ideas of what it might be and what to do? Don't really want to rest too long given the timeframe for the half.
Recommend seeing your local sports physician or chartered physiotherapist. Likely to be nothing serious but best off getting it looked at for A) accurate diagnosis B) find out what caused problem in 1st place.

Bod Mor

Quote from: ballinaman on February 18, 2016, 11:07:58 AM
Recommend seeing your local sports physician or chartered physiotherapist. Likely to be nothing serious but best off getting it looked at for A) accurate diagnosis B) find out what caused problem in 1st place.
This is going to sound mental to some people but I had something similar before and guess how I overcame it? More running! The old saying run it off isn't a myth.
I did Connemarathon last year and it was absolutely brilliant. Just wish I was back home for it this year. A seriously well organised event.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

DrinkingHarp

Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-topic-overview

But defitinely have it looked at
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 19, 2016, 05:58:58 AM

Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis:

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/plantar-fasciitis-topic-overview

But defitinely have it looked at

Sounds like Plantar Fasciitis alright. I had it for a year. Pure torture and very sore.

Tried a number of different stretching techniques and using a bottle of ice to roll it. It ended up it was the type of trainers I was using to run. Unbelievable what a difference if makes when you get the right fit

johnneycool

ciara seems to be coming into a bit of form;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/35625546

Ciara Mageean set her second Irish indoor record in a fortnight as she placed sixth in the women's Wanamaker Mile at the Millrose Games in New York.

Hopefully she'll still be available for the Ballygalget 10K on Easter Sunday, not sure if we can afford the appearance fee anymore  ;D

pullhard

Just set a new 5k pb and achieved one of my years goals, 19 min 5k, I wanted under 20 so delighted, considering im training for a half marathon.

Other goals are to 10k in under 40mins and half mararthon in under 1.30

laoislad

Quote from: pullhard on February 25, 2016, 01:57:10 PM
Just set a new 5k pb and achieved one of my years goals, 19 min 5k, I wanted under 20 so delighted, considering im training for a half marathon.

Fair play.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.