Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: pullhard on January 18, 2016, 02:21:22 PM
Completed my sencond half yesterday, have not trained for a month due to flu, finished 1.37. Please enough, Need to lose weight and put in both speed and distance work, would like to break 1.30

Great going!

Milltown Row2

Completed my sencond half yesterday, have not trained for a month due to flu, finished 1.37. Please enough, Need to lose weight and put in both speed and distance work, would like to break 1.30

Brilliant time...  I'd imagine if you keep chipping away at it then taking 7 minutes off would be ok, what part of the race did you feel stronger? It's the last 2 miles I find that I started to sprint!! do the next one and stick to a 1.30 pacer (if they have them, most good races they do)

I've done a couple but can't beat 1.38 but I'm not a distance runner, at 5.6" I'm at a serious disadvantage  >:(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

any runners here suffer from exercise induced asthma?

trueblue1234

Quote from: clarshack on January 18, 2016, 03:48:08 PM

Very much so. Especially in the cold weather.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Maroon Manc

Started back running 2 weeks ago, just the 5 minutes slower on a 5k than I was in early November before I got injured; At least I've managed to knock 3 minutes off that since then.

I'd like to do a marathon but would not have the motivation to run for that long. The longest I've run so far is a 10k and did it in 51 minutes but only did that once.

clarshack

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 18, 2016, 03:56:18 PM
Quote from: clarshack on January 18, 2016, 03:48:08 PM

Very much so. Especially in the cold weather.

suffer from it myself. i began running a couple of years ago but can't seem to break the 5k barrier. pb is 24.30 but i want to finally do a 10k this year. i take my inhaler about 15 mins before i run which helps a bit but is there anything else i can do to improve things?

trueblue1234

Just use inhaler myself, but still find it tough. Get shallow breathing at times which isn't great. But usually it passes after the 2nd mile. I've a slight cold at the minute which isn't helping either.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

pullhard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2016, 03:40:19 PM

Brilliant time...  I'd imagine if you keep chipping away at it then taking 7 minutes off would be ok, what part of the race did you feel stronger? It's the last 2 miles I find that I started to sprint!! do the next one and stick to a 1.30 pacer (if they have them, most good races they do)

I've done a couple but can't beat 1.38 but I'm not a distance runner, at 5.6" I'm at a serious disadvantage  >:(
[/quote

Felt terrible throughout thought I was going die or bonk for the last mile.
I love your suggestion about sticking to 1.30

Have asthma, controlled using symbicort, found the blue inhaler didn't work with me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pullhard on January 18, 2016, 09:01:14 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2016, 03:40:19 PM

[/quote

Felt terrible throughout thought I was going die or bonk for the last mile.
I love your suggestion about sticking to 1.30

Have asthma, controlled using symbicort, found the blue inhaler didn't work with me

Pacers are a good target....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Working down in Cork city next week. Anyone know of anywhere I can go for a run in the evening other than run on city streets or hotel treadmill. Somewhere like a well lit park.I'm staying right in the centre of the city.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

We'll say from the Clarion head towards Pairc Ui Chaoigh, head down along the river there and it will eventually lead onto a nice path that runs over to Mahon and eventually Rochestown, its a lovely run, just turn and come back when you're half way through!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

laoislad

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 19, 2016, 12:32:02 PM
We'll say from the Clarion head towards Pairc Ui Chaoigh, head down along the river there and it will eventually lead onto a nice path that runs over to Mahon and eventually Rochestown, its a lovely run, just turn and come back when you're half way through!
Cheers. I'm staying in the Metropole, think that's near enough the Clarion so a route like that sounds good. Would it be a well lit route?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mayo4Sam

Yes, well enough I think, not street light level but its busy, theres always people on it

I would feel safe on it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

pullhard

What the best way to train to break the 1.30 mark for half marathon?

imtommygunn

Two key things are tempo running and long runs.

Tempo is threshold type running. It will get your body used to running at more stressful paces.

All the above and hills will increase your strength.