Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Apologies if on the wrong thread here folks.

Started getting into a fair bit of cardio/circuits at the gym recently with the aim of starting (light) weight training in the new year. Just to tone up really.

What's the general thoughts on taking protein shakes? Never taken them before. Do they work? If so which is the best on the market?

Don't want creatine or any of that weight gaining stuff.

Cheers.

pullhard

I don't use them myself. But can understand the benefits of having a lump of easy to take protein.

That said protein shakes/bars are no substitute for balanced diet. I'd take along a pre made egg white sandwich and destroy theat instead.

Link

Whey protein can work out at 30-50p a shake and can taste nice depending on the flavour. Obviously helpful if you don't get enough protein in your current diet and usually low in carbs/fat/calories as well when taken with water. Very convenient to have a shaker filled with a scoop of protein in your gear bag for after exercise to tide you over a bit until your next meal.

They also contain BCAAs which can help with recovery.

Does no harm if you can afford the initial outlay and maybe don't get enough protein in your current diet.

Walter Cronc

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Link on December 08, 2015, 12:02:56 PM
Whey protein can work out at 30-50p a shake and can taste nice depending on the flavour. Obviously helpful if you don't get enough protein in your current diet and usually low in carbs/fat/calories as well when taken with water. Very convenient to have a shaker filled with a scoop of protein in your gear bag for after exercise to tide you over a bit until your next meal.

Does no harm if you can afford the initial outlay and maybe don't get enough protein in your current diet.

Never use them and hate the bollox's at the gym who throw their powder all over the place and shake the bottle like their life depended on it.... if they'd exercise as hard as they shake that thing they'd be bigger!!

Which makes me wonder (as the vast majority at the gym use them) what the feck do they have for dinner? do they not have a balanced diet at all? and if you don't have a balanced diet surely having a protein shake wont make a hell of a difference?? Like I said I don't use them so probably ignorant to them, but in fairness I don't see a wild bit of difference in body shapes by people that use them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 08, 2015, 01:41:14 PM

Never use them and hate the bollox's at the gym who throw their powder all over the place and shake the bottle like their life depended on it.... if they'd exercise as hard as they shake that thing they'd be bigger!!

Which makes me wonder (as the vast majority at the gym use them) what the feck do they have for dinner? do they not have a balanced diet at all? and if you don't have a balanced diet surely having a protein shake wont make a hell of a difference?? Like I said I don't use them so probably ignorant to them, but in fairness I don't see a wild bit of difference in body shapes by people that use them

We had a nutritionist in with the club last year and she totally ruled out using protein shakes or any other supplements. This was all on the basis that people exercising regularly should be more focused on their diets than taking shortcuts. He main point is that the body doesn't expect the protein in this form and it is forced into the body in large quantities above and in a different form than the body normally deals with.

Far more natural ways to take it in directly after exercise eg dairy products, milk, certain nuts and then eat correctly.

I like the nutri-bullet myself and can load up after a run on that.

Link

Quote from: Bingo on December 08, 2015, 01:54:40 PM

We had a nutritionist in with the club last year and she totally ruled out using protein shakes or any other supplements. This was all on the basis that people exercising regularly should be more focused on their diets than taking shortcuts. He main point is that the body doesn't expect the protein in this form and it is forced into the body in large quantities above and in a different form than the body normally deals with.

Far more natural ways to take it in directly after exercise eg dairy products, milk, certain nuts and then eat correctly.

I agree on the whole diet thing but that's why they are called supplements. I.e. to supplement your diet, not replace it.

a protein shake has around 23-27g of protein per serving, roughly the same as 2 eggs, 1 tin of tuna, 1 chicken fillet, 1 medium sirloin steak. don't really buy the large quantities argument she uses.

i'll know to use my shaker in private round the gyms in belfast.  ;)

Bingo

Quote from: Link on December 08, 2015, 02:38:38 PM
Quote from: Bingo on December 08, 2015, 01:54:40 PM

I agree on the whole diet thing but that's why they are called supplements. I.e. to supplement your diet, not replace it.

a protein shake has around 23-27g of protein per serving, roughly the same as 2 eggs, 1 tin of tuna, 1 chicken fillet, 1 medium sirloin steak. don't really buy the large quantities argument she uses.

i'll know to use my shaker in private round the gyms in belfast.  ;)

I think the point was that it was unnatural and digested in an unnatural manner - hence the rush of it into the system bypassing the natural digestion and breakdown process.

And for the record, she hated the phrase supplement as it only emphasised the need to avoid them if you have a balanced diet.

laoislad

Very quiet in here lads! Way down on page 5..!
Anyone doing anything at all?
Trying to keep ticking away myself but mostly indoors on the treadmill or the bike turbo trainer but trying to get at least one longish run outside a week.
Hard to get time these days/nights in fairness.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on December 20, 2015, 06:02:49 PM
Very quiet in here lads! Way down on page 5..!
Anyone doing anything at all?
Trying to keep ticking away myself but mostly indoors on the treadmill or the bike turbo trainer but trying to get at least one longish run outside a week.
Hard to get time these days/nights in fairness.

Am getting out every second day but it's a while since I've done more than 10k!

Going cycling up the mountains in the morning

magpie seanie

A bit sporadic. Roads and forest trails in shite after recent flooding but I'm trying to do enough to keep the wolf from the door completely. A few (very slow) 6/7k's but sometimes only one a week.

muppet

The comeback........
MWWSI 2017

redzone

Ways the target muppet. 10k, half marathon or full

magpie seanie

See you in Bundoran in March Muppet.

muppet

Quote from: redzone on December 23, 2015, 09:23:10 PM
Ways the target muppet. 10k, half marathon or full

Just to run at least 3 days a week again.

And maybe to run 5k under 25 mins comfortably.

We'll take it from there, if I get there.
MWWSI 2017