Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I would from time to time... Only if i'd ran through a lot of mud and they were filthy mind.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on November 15, 2015, 09:02:05 PM
Has anyone ever put their running shoes in a washing machine?

Put them in a pillow case and tie it up
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: muppet on November 14, 2015, 04:38:28 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 13, 2015, 12:20:51 PM
Anyone done the Castlebar Parkrun?

Yes. A very nice route around the lake. One fairly steep hill, although it is quite short and then a long slow descent back to the lake. You don't do the hill 2nd time around.

Very nice course, a lot nicer than Ballina IMO
That hill is a killer
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

pullhard

Looking at getting one of this garmin watches.

Options are new forerunner 10/15 or getting a something second hand like a 220 or 310.

What do we think?

ballinaman

Quote from: pullhard on November 16, 2015, 11:28:51 AM
Looking at getting one of this garmin watches.

Options are new forerunner 10/15 or getting a something second hand like a 220 or 310.

What do we think?
I've a forerunner 405, it's a good few years old at this stage and does the job. A lot of needless stuff on the newer ones...ground contact time, vertical oscillations ect...

I've it set to auto lap every mile so it's handy to see what you've done the last mile in.

Did a 10km yesterday, horrendous weather/no speedwork in 6 weeks made for an uncomfortable 37.18 minutes.....good to run under pressure though, enjoyed it in a weird way, don't feel have to be in PB shape all the time to race.

pullhard

I would like to be able to program some stuff in and do intervals, which the GF 10/15 cant do.

imtommygunn

405 does that. Handy enough to program in.

I've a 405. It's a good job - can be a bit slow on picking up satellite sometimes mind. I would use it for heart rate, lap time, intervals etc. Nothin too fancy like routes or ghost running or that but they can be done handy enough.

It is old though but you could pick it up cheap enough. I've been considering upgrading recently but haven't got round to it yet.

Bingo

Have the Garmin 220.

Fairly decent watch. Does all the basics and has a heart monitor function. Can set up lap times, current pace, average pace, lap pace, can do intervals by time or distance and if fairly light to wear. Good battery life.

Couldn't fault it. Done a few runs recently without the watch and its also good to do.

50fiftyball

Regarding running injuries - Anyone ever had athletic pubalgia? The modern term for it is sports hernia, but I've had an ultrasound and no inguinal hernia has been found.

It's defined as: Sports activities that involve planting the feet and twisting with maximum exertion can cause a tear in the soft tissue of the lower abdomen or groin.
A sports hernia will usually cause severe pain in the groin area at the time of the injury. The pain typically gets better with rest, but comes back when you return to sports activity, especially with twisting movements.

Without treatment, this injury can result in chronic, disabling pain that prevents you from resuming sports activities.

Next step is to push the MRI, anyone ever had the surgery for it? Been doing all the associated stretching and rehabilitation to ease it for quite some time now, but after a training session/run its just back to square one, as soon as I step into the car it's a struggle to get out again the pain is that sore.

ballinaman

MRI would be needed to see if there is a tear in external oblique aponeurosis and conjoint tendon. Depending on size of tear it would dictate if surgery is required. New methods of putting in a synthetic mesh to close up tear is working really well.
Rehab and multi directional running technique would be needed then. Give us PM if you need any more info or questions.

pullhard

I run quite a bit and was trying add a few sit ups into the mix.

however whenever i do this my (hip fixators?) go super duper tight and start cramping.

any ideas of alternatives core exercises? or exercises to lose these muscles?

heffo

Anyone else run the Clontarf 1/2 this morning? Wind on the beach would cut through you - short shorts were not the right idea

bamboo

Any of you pros got an opinion either way in regard to training via heart rate only.

I've been getting back into slowly but surely and by mixing it up with a bit of spinning and I've got my hands on a Garmin Fenix 2 watch so was thinking of making use of the heart monitor. Seem to recall a discussion a while back but can't find it.

imtommygunn

It's useful for specific sessions. Cardio work essentially. In running terms easy runs, tempos and a good guideline on long runs but a bit more sparingly... Basically it's very good for making sure specific sessions are done as intended.

Wouldn't be that good for spin as you'd be doing a good bit of anaerobic work.

GJL

Not into running much but done the Blood Sweat and Tears 10k yesterday. Some craic..