Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maurice Moss

Wee question for some of the guys here... Where would be the best place to buy good base layers for running in the cold nights and mornings. Any websites that you'd recommend that have quality products. Cheers in advance.

moysider

Quote from: Maurice Moss on November 12, 2015, 10:49:11 PM
Wee question for some of the guys here... Where would be the best place to buy good base layers for running in the cold nights and mornings. Any websites that you'd recommend that have quality products. Cheers in advance.

I think under armour stuff is good but I don t like clingy base layers myself. In Ireland, at any time really, you get warm fairly quickly and if you overdress, end up too warm. If it's windy and nasty I'd go for a light jacket rather than a base layer. When you warm into a run it's like adding 10 degrees to the actual temp. But everybody is different. I don t like wearing anything on the head either because I sweat a bit and you lose a lot of heat through the head, which is good. Usually go with shorts as well. My only comfort is gloves. Was wearing gloves last April. I can run in cold with short sleeves as long as I ve gloves!

imtommygunn

Helly hansen stuff is very good and much less "clingy". Google it and you should find the best price.

Mayo4Sam

The Aldi under armour is great, especially for cycling I find
The Helly Hansen striped ones are good too
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on November 13, 2015, 12:34:00 AM
Quote from: Maurice Moss on November 12, 2015, 10:49:11 PM

I think under armour stuff is good but I don t like clingy base layers myself. In Ireland, at any time really, you get warm fairly quickly and if you overdress, end up too warm. If it's windy and nasty I'd go for a light jacket rather than a base layer. When you warm into a run it's like adding 10 degrees to the actual temp. But everybody is different. I don t like wearing anything on the head either because I sweat a bit and you lose a lot of heat through the head, which is good. Usually go with shorts as well. My only comfort is gloves. Was wearing gloves last April. I can run in cold with short sleeves as long as I ve gloves!

Could have wrote this myself!

I'd have a few Canterbury base layers and find them great. Not clingy and lets you breathe. Less is more in the cold weather if you have it right. I've a very light RonHill hat and gloves, great for a mile or so and then can be tucked into the shorts.

Few years ago I got a couple pairs if Lidl running tights and they where got the year of the big snow to save that really cold snap on the legs but haven't wore them since. Good for the bike as well.

Bingo

For anyone interested:

Castleblayney 5km Sunday 29th November 2pm start on a fast, accurate course on closed roads. Had over 700 take part last year. Good spread and cup of tea afterwards in the local Hotel and the special guest afterwards is David Mathews, former Irish Olympian and current coach. He trains individuals, groups and GAA teams including Cork Hurlers a few years back.

http://www.active.com/castleblayney-monaghan/running/distance-running-races/castleblayney-supervalu-5km-road-race-2015

€10 to entry online or €13 on the day.

I am current the undefeated GAABOARD prize winner in this run and am going for 5-in-a-row.  ;)  ;D

lfdown2

Was through 'blaney the other day and seen the sign for this, wouldn't mind doing it but the wife is due the 27th so probably not ideal...

Being training for Castlewellan Christmas Cracker the last few weeks, plenty of trail running and hill climbing really enjoying it;

http://www.newcastleac.org/?page_id=8449

Its done in pair and you have to finish with your partner.

laoislad

I can't wear any of those body warmer clothes at all. Not even a hat or gloves. They would actually make me feel sick I sweat that much anytime I've tried to wear them.
Maybe its because I often work outside so I don't feel the cold as much as someone else might.
Just a shorts and t shirt for me whatever the weather, maybe a very light running jacket if its raining or dark as I have a florescent yellow one.

Only just back running after a few weeks off after hurting my ankle at the half marathon. It wasn't hurt for that long I just got lazy!
Amazing how quickly you can lose a bit of fitness, my 70%hrr pace has slowed by about 40seconds a mile.
Doing a bit on the bike now again for first time in ages.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 13, 2015, 11:12:44 AM
Was through 'blaney the other day and seen the sign for this, wouldn't mind doing it but the wife is due the 27th so probably not ideal...

Being training for Castlewellan Christmas Cracker the last few weeks, plenty of trail running and hill climbing really enjoying it;

I've done the Christmas once and its one of my favourite races. The date suits a lot better this year on the 28th, so might head over. Great tough course but always a great buzz and like the team element of it.

I see the entries are limited this year, so might get the brother organised and head over to it.

lfdown2

Quote from: Bingo on November 13, 2015, 11:26:29 AM

I've done the Christmas once and its one of my favourite races. The date suits a lot better this year on the 28th, so might head over. Great tough course but always a great buzz and like the team element of it.

I see the entries are limited this year, so might get the brother organised and head over to it.

Yeah, like the idea of being able to blame someone else...(even if I am holding the show up)

Bingo

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 13, 2015, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: Bingo on November 13, 2015, 11:26:29 AM

Yeah, like the idea of being able to blame someone else...(even if I am holding the show up)

Yeah, the year we done it, my man had gone ahead on that last mile going into the town. I was struggling but spotted one of lads from the club at home struggling badly ahead, so I got the bull on and got passed him, as knew they where the first two from our club and thought they'd be home. Kept ahead and our two partners where waiting in the pen for us to appear so that we could finish. Was a great bit of craic as we both made the burst for home and the two boys going hectic in the pen. Local bragging rights very important!

Mayo4Sam

Anyone done the Castlebar Parkrun?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 13, 2015, 12:20:51 PM
Nope but looks like its a fairly twisty route around Lough Lanagh judging by this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvOfqk7BaT0

....coffee and tea afterwards supposed to be daycent.

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 13, 2015, 12:20:51 PM

Yes. A very nice route around the lake. One fairly steep hill, although it is quite short and then a long slow descent back to the lake. You don't do the hill 2nd time around.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Has anyone ever put their running shoes in a washing machine?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians