Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on October 26, 2015, 11:24:15 PM

Back home in front of the stove with a fridge pack. Beer is great recovery with the ould salt content ;D

My best Marathon (of 5)  by a full 10 mins so I'm thrilled to bits. Was on for a sub 3:45 until mile 23 but drained a couple of minutes down the last stretch. I ll not be troubling likes of Bingo's times but I m no Spring chicken and it is a great feeling to be able to improve like this at an age where we are supposed to be going backwards. Seriously good for the head. If anybody told me 5 years ago that I would run marathons I would have had a laugh.

Fair play Moysider, great sense of achievement and you have every right to be delighted.

One of things I find with the marathon or any distance is that everyones time and effort has to be seriously respected and the sense of achievement in each and everyone should be the same. When I was training for the first one, 4 years ago, one of the sub3 guys from home said that everyone hurts the same regardless of time, there is no shortcuts, no luck involved or a way of making it easy, you just have to prepare and commit to the finish line on the day.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2015, 10:23:42 AM

Would settle for the time your wife done..... My problem would be discipline, sticking to a pace say starting out at a 9 min mile pace... Would get me in under 4 hours which would be great, but having only done 2 half's and loads of shorter distances I think id blow up around 20 miles!!

She was super in fairness, stuck to her plan and actually enjoyed the whole thing. Discipline is the key in these things and she had bags of it yesterday. If you do one, you'll have trained for the distance and gradually built up to it, so it is doable. In her training, she only did one 20mile run and managed the best off the back off it, knowing what she was going to do.

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 27, 2015, 09:13:26 AM
Well done everyone. Awesome work.

I even got off my hole and got back on the horse over the weekend after a tremendous bout of laziness/feeling sorry for myself/nagging cold/excuses.....etc.

Fair play Seanie, get back on the bike.

Quote from: laoislad on October 26, 2015, 09:06:29 PM
Fair play bingo. Will you go for the quadruple of Dublin marathons next year?
I'd say you were glad of the few showers of rain! We could have done with some last year!!
We didn't get to go and cheer ye on as it was too wet to bring the youngfellas out.
Fair play to your Mrs as well, you'll hardly see much action tonight  ;)

No plans yet, I done it last year to do 3-in-a-row and now 5 seems very tempting  ;D Early days though and who knows what next year will take.....on Sunday seems a cracking idea though  ;)
Despite the wind and rain, I much preferred yesterday to last year and a lot of people said the same. Might have cost a few minutes this year but was a whole lot worse last year.

The stairs was about as much action we seen last night  ;D  ;D

laoislad

Bingo,moysider,heffo and take_yer_ points today
http://youtu.be/m-hCuYjvw2I
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

take_yer_points

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2015, 12:40:33 PM

Very good, the stairs aren't much fun today.

I meant to say yesterday, there isn't much fun when you're at the point where taking one more step feels like a challenge. You can have all the people running with you, all the crowds and it's still an unbelievably lonely place to be. I was never as happy to see the 800m sign near the end yesterday, but that must've been the longest 800m of my life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2015, 09:31:33 AM

I even got off my hole and got back on the horse over the weekend after a tremendous bout of laziness/feeling sorry for myself/nagging cold/excuses.....etc.
I'll see you at the start line of Dublin 2016.. We can have that long awaited pint together afterwards  ;)

Marathon - I'm going to try to do one at some stage of my life but just not convinced I can do it in the near future. The training must take up serious amounts of time and I've had trouble squeezing in my Warriors Run training the last two years, we'll see.

I'll meet you for a pint any time though!

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 27, 2015, 04:00:28 PM

I'll see you at the start line of Dublin 2016.. We can have that long awaited pint together afterwards  ;)

Marathon - I'm going to try to do one at some stage of my life but just not convinced I can do it in the near future. The training must take up serious amounts of time and I've had trouble squeezing in my Warriors Run training the last two years, we'll see.

Maybe we should organise a Running tread Christmas night out?
Who'd be up for it?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2015, 12:40:33 PM
Well done lads and Mrs B. A great achievement. If you are fit for a 10 miler or a 4mile warm down,I can highly recommend this one on Saturday https://m.facebook.com/Running4Rescue

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2015, 09:43:31 PM

Who'd be up for it?

Would that be a full or a half?

muppet

Quote from: heffo on October 26, 2015, 07:05:12 PM
Jesus that was tough but really enjoyed it.

Started off on the wrong foot when I got into town with no shorts - I'd left them behind. Was meeting a few people at a gym to get changed so the owner dug out a pair of cycling shorts two sizes too small, eventually someone found a sackcloth for me to wear.

Great atmosphere and support and glad I did it now but I'd say I'll feel it in the morning. Well done to the other runners today who did it in serious times.

That's gas.

Well done and congrats to Bingo on a great time and to the others for even finishing the bloody thing.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on October 27, 2015, 09:43:31 PM

Who'd be up for it?

I'd be up for it but always find Christmas the worst time for meet ups when travelling involved and trying to get a date that suits. Always seems to be something on or somewhere to be round home and in the lead up to xmas its parties and gatherings.

It alright for you Dubs who can get the nightlink home  ;)

dec

Back last year when we did that chart to record our monthly running I put sub 1:45 half marathon as my goal. I never updated my monthly totals, they would have been quite inconsistent. This year has been slightly better with my training and I got close to my goal with 1:45:44 Back in May. My next goal is a 3:45 marathon and I just picked up my number for the New York marathon on Sunday.
I have picked up a cold in the last day, hopefully the worst of it will be over by Sunday, so if I am feeling ok I'll still try for 3:45. If not then beating my PR of 3:59 will be my goal. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by putting this in writing.

Bingo

Quote from: dec on October 29, 2015, 11:30:13 PM
Back last year when we did that chart to record our monthly running I put sub 1:45 half marathon as my goal. I never updated my monthly totals, they would have been quite inconsistent. This year has been slightly better with my training and I got close to my goal with 1:45:44 Back in May. My next goal is a 3:45 marathon and I just picked up my number for the New York marathon on Sunday.
I have picked up a cold in the last day, hopefully the worst of it will be over by Sunday, so if I am feeling ok I'll still try for 3:45. If not then beating my PR of 3:59 will be my goal. I hope I haven't jinxed myself by putting this in writing.

Great stuff Dec and the very best of luck for Sunday. Fingers crossed the cold isn't too bad and clears.

I'm itching to push on and do a spring marathon. Not sure why but I think I have a better time in me and anxious that I build on the current base and get another one in the tank. Have looked at London but this would require going through the Tour operator but is pricey, reality this may be only way to do it and its on the bucket list as such. Other options are Rotterdam and Barcelona but it is in early March.

Maybe I'll get sense over the weekend  ;D

moysider

Quote from: dec on October 29, 2015, 11:30:13 PM

Mind that. My sister in law ran Dublin on Monday with headache and high temp. Ran with her at the start and she was struggling. Told the missus at mile 11 to try and get her to quit but she continued on and finished - incredibly under 4 hrs. She's a best of 3 thirtysomething.
But she s struggled since with a high heart rate and breathing difficulty. Went to doc today and she's been suffering from dehydration and kidney infection and is fairly flattened. She relies now she was silly and not worth it.

Like Bingo I m looking to do another in spring. Entered Barca last year but got injured. Anybody know anything about the Manchester one in April?

annapr

Did you get in through the ballot dec?

ballinaman

Good luck Dec...will be a cracker of a marathon, would love to do it someday. Probably know this already but you're supposedly kept out at the start for hours before it starts...bring plenty of clothes that you can toss.
Also, try and position yourself on the top bridge because it rains urine I've heard and you don't want to be on the bottom deck of the bridge for obvious reasons!

Bingo, I'm looking at Rotterdam big time. 50 euro entry before November 1st and goes up by a few quid then...not much though, all on the website. Supposed to be a quality marathon and it's flat flat flat which is all you want really. Fly to Amsterdam and train to Rotterdam takes 50 mins and goes direct from airport. Had a look at hotels too, very reasonable.

Moy, spoke to Eoin Callaghan who was 2nd in Manchester last year and said it was a great marathon. He might have been biased after having a stormer of a run though!