Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Bingo, I see they've changed the route slightly for Dublin compared to last years.
You won't be entering the Park now at the Park Gate street gate but instead a little de tour up blackball place and up around and coming back into park on the North Circular and running down by the back of the Zoo back onto chesterfield.

I should be around DCU somewhere with the kids cheering ye on . I'll keep an eye out and throw some abuse at you!!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

take_yer_points

Lads, I'm looking at booking a hotel for the night before the Dublin marathon. Before I start ringing round to see if anyone can guarantee a late check out so I can get showered and changed afterwards, are there any options in round the city centre for a shower other than depending on the hotel letting us stay on late?

lfdown2

http://www.atlasrunning.co.uk/page.html

How would you approach this - try and get round at a quick pace to maximise recovery time or a slow and steady pace?

Milltown Row2

Back in Buxton for my last week... Up at 6.30 ran for an hour around the town... Hills every half mile or so but f**k it was great... Nice temperature bit drizzling... So enjoyed it, view brill once sun came up..running is great with no pressure for times and pending races also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 06, 2015, 04:49:49 PM

How would you approach this - try and get round at a quick pace to maximise recovery time or a slow and steady pace?

I would approach it by driving past the gates of Castleward for 2 mile, park outside the Hole in the Wall and have a rake of pints instead! It looks crazy, are you seriously considering it?

Just over a week till my first (and last) marathon, nerves have kicked in big style!🙈

imtommygunn

That looks crazy but interesting... Do it as close to the hour as possible so as it takes the least out of you!

There are boys who could do a dozen plus of those floating round!

lfdown2

Quote from: No1 on October 07, 2015, 08:09:35 PM

I would approach it by driving past the gates of Castleward for 2 mile, park outside the Hole in the Wall and have a rake of pints instead! It looks crazy, are you seriously considering it?

Just over a week till my first (and last) marathon, nerves have kicked in big style!🙈

Haha...when the wife mentioned it first I was thinking it was a case of just running the same loop 'til ye fell down but its more like an ultimate bleep test, not sure if I would try it or not but it's definitely different. Be interesting to call in after 10 hours to get a look at those still standing.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on October 02, 2015, 06:34:20 PM
Bingo, I see they've changed the route slightly for Dublin compared to last years.
You won't be entering the Park now at the Park Gate street gate but instead a little de tour up blackball place and up around and coming back into park on the North Circular and running down by the back of the Zoo back onto chesterfield.

I should be around DCU somewhere with the kids cheering ye on . I'll keep an eye out and throw some abuse at you!!

Yeah seen that myself. Nice wee climb early in the race now up to Christchurch/Jurys Inn and then a quick downhill after that. I had thought they'd leave the route same as last year but maybe was too much delay on the quays for it.

I'll welcome the abuse and if I'm anywhere near DCU i'll deserve it  ;)

That's looks a crazy event. On first reading it sounds very doable for a prolonged time but you'd need to have a good handle on your nutrition, hydration and pace to last the day. Be some fellas who would eat that up and be still moving long after the speedsters from the first few laps have eaten dust.

I'd love to try something like this at some stage.

laoislad

QuoteI'll welcome the abuse and if I'm anywhere near DCU i'll deserve it  
Lol do'h! I meant UCD of course!

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on October 08, 2015, 10:30:08 AM

:D Had thought so alright. My least favourite part of the course is from Clonskeagh right round to the UCD flyover. I suppose its that far into the course its tough but even when it was that bit earlier in the course it just seems to be so long and open.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 08, 2015, 10:49:37 AM

:D Had thought so alright. My least favourite part of the course is from Clonskeagh right round to the UCD flyover. I suppose its that far into the course its tough but even when it was that bit earlier in the course it just seems to be so long and open.
Watched the new Dublin course video last night, looks sick. The amount of climbs is mad. Tough course for a PB but fair play to anyone who gets one, would have earned it!

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 08, 2015, 12:36:53 PM

Watched the new Dublin course video last night, looks sick. The amount of climbs is mad. Tough course for a PB but fair play to anyone who gets one, would have earned it!

Watched that myself. Don't think they doing themselves any favours with the route been tough. Not attracting much of a competitive field. But the numbers seem to be coming through, so the argument is that they go for a mass field with a friendly supportive crowd rather than an attractive course.

Often thought they could run through UCD grounds rather than round it and take in the hills and climbs round it.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 08, 2015, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 08, 2015, 12:36:53 PM

Watched that myself. Don't think they doing themselves any favours with the route been tough. Not attracting much of a competitive field. But the numbers seem to be coming through, so the argument is that they go for a mass field with a friendly supportive crowd rather than an attractive course.

Often thought they could run through UCD grounds rather than round it and take in the hills and climbs round it.
Ya, could turn in the Clonskeagh gate and out the main gate onto the flyover. You'd miss the drag in Roebuck and Roebuck hill itself...even coming up the flyover isn't hectic.
Would mean adding to another part of the course so it's 6 a 1.
Don't think Dublin will ever be conducive to really fast times so they are right to go for the mass event with friendly atmosphere.
I think 17-18,000 is the max they'll be able to start in merrion square and if numbers continue to grow, start will have to be moved. Probably to the Phoenix park...

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 08, 2015, 12:50:33 PM
Ya, could turn in the Clonskeagh gate and out the main gate onto the flyover. You'd miss the drag in Roebuck and Roebuck hill itself...even coming up the flyover isn't hectic.
Would mean adding to another part of the course so it's 6 a 1.
Don't think Dublin will ever be conducive to really fast times so they are right to go for the mass event with friendly atmosphere.
I think 17-18,000 is the max they'll be able to start in merrion square and if numbers continue to grow, start will have to be moved. Probably to the Phoenix park...

The flat areas of the docklands, quays, coastal areas on the southside/northside seem to be all under used.

Have read from some that they are forced to go out into the park and the route is planned to minimise traffic disruption. Might well be the case.

laoislad

They should just run it up and down the m50 a few times. Nice and flat!