Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Terrible news about the death of the runner today. Never nice to hear.

Tough luck today LL. frustrating that but pales considering how the race finished for that poor lad.

One of local runners went over on a dropped bottle at 5mile mark and done his ankle. In bad shape and this fella was on course for his first marathon in Dublin in a few weeks. All in doubt now but again not the worse news today.

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on September 19, 2015, 09:24:37 PM
Terrible news about the death of the runner today. Never nice to hear.

Tough luck today LL. frustrating that but pales considering how the race finished for that poor lad.

One of local runners went over on a dropped bottle at 5mile mark and done his ankle. In bad shape and this fella was on course for his first marathon in Dublin in a few weeks. All in doubt now but again not the worse news today.
100℅ correct Bingo. I was disappointed, was on for a sub 1:50 at that stage which would have been huge for me but when I heard the news of that poor youngfella it put everything into perspective.
I can do another half Marathon anytime. Its hard to take in that a chap out running,keeping fit, can just die like that.

The bottles were a problem today alright. It was like an obstacle course trying to avoid them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

take_yer_points

Just in from Belfast half marathon. Headed off this morning hoping for around 1:40 and would've been delighted with 1:35.

I was back behind the 2 hour pacers for the start but made it quickly enough past them and the 1:45 pacers - maybe a bit too quickly, I started to worry at about 3 mile that I'd gone off a bit too quick. I felt good though so kept the pace. Runkeeper was telling me I was running at 7:12 per mile but I was hearing the miles on the phone about 40 seconds before getting to the mile marker on the road.

Anyway, felt strong the whole way and finished up at just over 1 hour 33 minutes. Didn't think I had that in me and my last 4 miles were the fastest all under 6:55 so I'm delighted. I'll enjoy a few pints today and then back at it on Tuesday to get ready for DCM.

CD

Super running points! just in myself. I ran it as part of a long slow run so did 5 beforehand and hit the start line just as they were taking off - ran the first half with a couple of mates at 8.40 pace which is our DCM pace. Loved the disciplin of running the exact pace for 8 miles. Got a bit restless going through the city and kicked on - got faster every mile and finished with a comfortable 7 minute mile. The first run I've ever ran as planned and stuck to the programme which was important for me psychologically. Never felt tired at any stage and got stronger as I went on. Finished in 1:47 which is well outside my best but spot on in the context of the bigger picture! Got 12 done yesterday so a good weekend for me. Planning to do 20 this coming weekend and if that goes well I'll apply for Dublin!
Very good event - excellent organisation and loved the course.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on September 20, 2015, 01:08:20 PM
Super running points! just in myself. I ran it as part of a long slow run so did 5 beforehand and hit the start line just as they were taking off - ran the first half with a couple of mates at 8.40 pace which is our DCM pace. Loved the disciplin of running the exact pace for 8 miles. Got a bit restless going through the city and kicked on - got faster every mile and finished with a comfortable 7 minute mile. The first run I've ever ran as planned and stuck to the programme which was important for me psychologically. Never felt tired at any stage and got stronger as I went on. Finished in 1:47 which is well outside my best but spot on in the context of the bigger picture! Got 12 done yesterday so a good weekend for me. Planning to do 20 this coming weekend and if that goes well I'll apply for Dublin!

Well CD and TYP's.... Few friends out doing it today also, weather seemed great for it too... At this rate you'll be ready for DCM
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Quote from: CD on September 20, 2015, 01:08:20 PM

Good going, well done. Agree about the course and organisation. I haven't done too many events like that but it seemed very flat. The only thing I wasn't too sure about was in round cornmarket- I don't know if they'd been washing the street or what but the ground was wet and felt slippy. That's being picky though - really enjoyed it

magpie seanie

Brilliant running everyone.

So sad to hear about that young lad. RIP.

Bingo

Hard to believe this day next week, Berlin will be all over. It was this time last year I entered and, like everything, you just wonder where the time has gone.

A fairly easy week just gone, 12 miles run yesterday at easy pace on a lovely Sunday morning. About 30miles in total. A lot less this week and anything done will be sharper and shorter. Will have a fairly busy week at work and with travel at weekend the goal is to get to the start line as fresh as possible. Sleep and eat well all week.

To help with the Taper madness, was in Croke Park yesterday, great seats, minor match was great. Five rows behind the Kerry Mgt on  the pitch. Could reach over and touch (if I wanted) the Kerry team as they watched the minor team. Then the rain started. Feel very badly let down by Accu weather app  >:( Wasn't prepared. Stayed under covers and eventually Eleverys produced more panchos. Kept me largely dry bar the feet and some water that got in on the arse of the jeans. Dreading a cold now and am overdosing on fruit, hot sweet drinks and water.  :( #prayforme

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on September 21, 2015, 11:54:01 AM
Hard to believe this day next week, Berlin will be all over. It was this time last year I entered and, like everything, you just wonder where the time has gone.

A fairly easy week just gone, 12 miles run yesterday at easy pace on a lovely Sunday morning. About 30miles in total. A lot less this week and anything done will be sharper and shorter. Will have a fairly busy week at work and with travel at weekend the goal is to get to the start line as fresh as possible. Sleep and eat well all week.

To help with the Taper madness, was in Croke Park yesterday, great seats, minor match was great. Five rows behind the Kerry Mgt on  the pitch. Could reach over and touch (if I wanted) the Kerry team as they watched the minor team. Then the rain started. Feel very badly let down by Accu weather app  >:( Wasn't prepared. Stayed under covers and eventually Eleverys produced more panchos. Kept me largely dry bar the feet and some water that got in on the arse of the jeans. Dreading a cold now and am overdosing on fruit, hot sweet drinks and water.  :( #prayforme

I got a worse drenching. Couldn't find one of those ponchos for love nor money. Thought I was reasonably well togged out but wasn't ready for that amount of rain. Straight into Dunnes in Henry Street for a full new set of clothes afterwards, every stich was saturated. Worst All Ireland final ever.

Tony Baloney

Lads was it not widely forecast that it was to pish for most of Sunday? #amateurhour  :D

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 19, 2015, 05:32:04 PM
PB today at my local parkrun... Haven't ran in a while at any races and was just going to pace my daughter round but she brought her friend and I was never going to run with the wife.. I put her off  :-\

So I went at it, perfect conditions today no real breeze temperature hood bit overcast... Parkruns can be so competitive at the front and fun at the back ... I'm in Between one or two runners running my pace the better ones ahead and I'm never catching them ... 180 runners came in at 32 and first in my age category!! With a whopping one second better off from my previous best time at that course!!

MR2,
   What's the youngest age of a child you can take to run the 5K at these events?

Mayo4Sam

I don't think there is a limit for the park runs. I see my nephews at 8 doing them
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

imtommygunn

They must be 4 or over and if they're under 11 they must be accompanied by an adult the whole way round...

There was actually an incident in one in australia the other week where someone tried to snatch a kid runnin git.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 21, 2015, 01:46:56 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 21, 2015, 11:54:01 AM

I got a worse drenching. Couldn't find one of those ponchos for love nor money. Thought I was reasonably well togged out but wasn't ready for that amount of rain. Straight into Dunnes in Henry Street for a full new set of clothes afterwards, every stich was saturated. Worst All Ireland final ever.

Shocking! Don't feel as bad now. I hit elverys lucky on a second visit and they got mobbed pretty quickly. Before that they where selling anything rain resistant and doing well. One fella just behind me landed in with sunglasses, jeans and a pale blue shirt and about 10 pints in him. He was a sorry sight by the end of the game and he kinda figured he was frigged for rest of the day. I'd say he hit Dunnes as well.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 21, 2015, 01:49:19 PM
Lads was it not widely forecast that it was to pish for most of Sunday? #amateurhour  :D
Yep they were giving that rain all week for Sunday  ;D

Best of luck at weekend Bingo. Is there anywhere we can track you like you can in the Dublin marathon?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.