Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Although I wouldn't be able to run out of my road I'm drawn to this thread like a moth to a light every time there is a new post on it,  despite being a right boring bunch of bastards you appear to be doing great things on here. Keep up the good work  ;D

ballinaman

Quote from: Boycey on September 09, 2015, 05:00:24 PM
Although I wouldn't be able to run out of my road I'm drawn to this thread like a moth to a light every time there is a new post on it,  despite being a right boring bunch of b**tards you appear to be doing great things on here. Keep up the good work  ;D
I'd steer clear as long as you can, once the running gets you you're fcuked, addicted....have to be a bit cracked in the head.

Bingo

Quote from: Boycey on September 09, 2015, 05:00:24 PM
Although I wouldn't be able to run out of my road I'm drawn to this thread like a moth to a light every time there is a new post on it,  despite being a right boring bunch of b**tards you appear to be doing great things on here. Keep up the good work  ;D

You'll be running when the renowned coach of many years experience comes after you for questioning his judgement from his years of watching youtube compilations. (I think he might actually be on the Liverpool transfer committee).

Its a zen like peaceful thread here, no trolling, no wind ups, no one looking a reaction. Just a good source of info, encouragement and advice.

laoislad

Anyone recommend trail runs/paths around or near Dublin?
Would like to try something different after the Dublin half marathon is over with a view to maybe doing one of the Gaelforce events next year.
I'm guessing the Wicklow mountains or Howth/Bray head and places.
What about the Sugarloaf would there be trails you could run there?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on September 09, 2015, 07:22:32 PM
Would like to try something different after the Dublin half marathon is over with a view to maybe doing one of the Gaelforce events next year.
I used to run the grand canal tow path from drumcondra out to maynooth...good run. Gets a bit off road by Coolmine.

There is defo a hill trail near marlay park...think it's called tree rock or something like that. Heffo would be the man to ask I reckon.

Never beat the deeler

This running game messes with your head!! I haven't really been running much in the last few months, have been concentrating on more high intensity training in conjunction with getting out on the bike.

Had a free Saturday with no (well, not many) beers on Friday night so I decided I'd go and do a parkrun. Now this was only my fifth parkrun of all time, with my PB coming in my second run back in february. I was 18 seconds off that time, coming in at an agonising 25:01.

The difference in feeling coming in under 25 to coming in just over 25 is incredible, and was really highlighted when my gf couldn't get her head around why I was disappointed. She seems to think it's the same as getting sub-25, but it's just not.

Anyhow, on reflection, am happy enough with the return versus relatively low input into my running - not in the same class as some of the speedsters out there, but happily plodding along and not regressing (much)
Hasta la victoria siempre

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 10, 2015, 06:44:16 AM
This running game messes with your head!! I haven't really been running much in the last few months, have been concentrating on more high intensity training in conjunction with getting out on the bike.

Had a free Saturday with no (well, not many) beers on Friday night so I decided I'd go and do a parkrun. Now this was only my fifth parkrun of all time, with my PB coming in my second run back in february. I was 18 seconds off that time, coming in at an agonising 25:01.

The difference in feeling coming in under 25 to coming in just over 25 is incredible, and was really highlighted when my gf couldn't get her head around why I was disappointed. She seems to think it's the same as getting sub-25, but it's just not.

Anyhow, on reflection, am happy enough with the return versus relatively low input into my running - not in the same class as some of the speedsters out there, but happily plodding along and not regressing (much)

Tell her it's just like almost bringing her flowers and ask her is it the same.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Just watching the Great North Run on BBC.
Anyone ever done it?
Just thinking to myself that a few years ago I would have turned this off thinking they were all mad wanting to run 13 miles,now I wish I was doing it and looking forward to running the Dublin half next Saturday!

heffo

Cruagh wood normal trail is about 4.6k - thats just past viewpoint.

Running from Greystones beach to the end of the beach at Bray going via the cliff trail is 10k - very enjoyable run

Bingo

Official Taper period has now commenced!

Last week saw a drop off in distance but was still a bit to get through. 4 miles Friday, 8 miles Saturday under MP and then 16 yesterday which was largely easy miles but finished with 5 good miles round MP.

All in all, a good week and legs feel good. Got a good hour rubout on Wednesday night and it really loosened out the tight spots and done the job. Legs felt very good on Saturday when I pushed the pace a bit, they had struggled previously.

A few runs this week with mix of easy and short fast work. A 11/12 mile on sunday and nearly there.

muppet

The perimeter of Malahide Castle is about 4k. You can make it almost 5k by doing a loop around the cricket club. It is a nice run with one or two hills, but nothing steep. The missus & kids can wander into the cafe, shop or playground while you go for your run. Loads of parking too.
MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on September 14, 2015, 01:51:43 PM

The perimeter of Malahide Castle is about 4k. You can make it almost 5k by doing a loop around the cricket club. It is a nice run with one or two hills, but nothing steep. The missus & kids can wander into the cafe, shop or playground while you go for your run. Loads of parking too.

Then a savage feed in Avoca afterwards!! :)

Milltown Row2

PB today at my local parkrun... Haven't ran in a while at any races and was just going to pace my daughter round but she brought her friend and I was never going to run with the wife.. I put her off  :-\

So I went at it, perfect conditions today no real breeze temperature hood bit overcast... Parkruns can be so competitive at the front and fun at the back ... I'm in Between one or two runners running my pace the better ones ahead and I'm never catching them ... 180 runners came in at 32 and first in my age category!! With a whopping one second better off from my previous best time at that course!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Dublin half Marathon today. I was going great guns through the course until some fella clipped my heel and I fell off the kerb and done my ankle in. Walked the last 5 miles to the finish.

Was sitting here feeling sorry for myself until I read the awful news that a 23 year old male runner collapsed and died a few hundred yards from the finish line.
I saw a bit of commotion as I came to the finish but never thought anything like that.
RIP to the poor lad.

That's the second time in 3 years someone has died running the Dublin half.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea