Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Last of the 20milers done yesterday.  ;D

And legs feel surprisingly better today than this time last week when I felt heavy legged and thought I was going to struggle. Was a 52 mile week but as week went on the legs started to loosen out. Did a 10 mile on Wednesday that had 4x1200m at 5km pace and a 11mile run Friday with a few recovery runs in between.

With the heavy legs in back of my mind I ran very easy yesterday with some of the other lads and enjoyed the company and chat on the way round. With 5.5miles to go I pushed on and finished this last bit all below 7.20min pace with last mile under 7mins. So very happy I could finish strong.

Into the semi-taper week with good drop in miles and its mostly faster paced stuff over shorter distances.

Less than 3 weeks to go. Happy days  ;D

No1

Lucky man Bingo, I still have a couple of 20 milers left to do.  >:(

I'm struggling to get used to carrying/drinking water on the longer runs. Last 20 miler I took a couple of gels and didn't bother with water at all and didn't feel it did me any harm. Any "runners" I've been speaking to since have said water is essential!!

Any thoughts or advice from the good folks on here?

imtommygunn

You will need it on the day so even if you don't feel you need it on a training run it's important to prep the body for the day.

A plan could be to take the car a spin and put water in the ditch at various points if this suits and it avoids carrying it.

Does your body reject it or how do you struggle? Even just take it last few miles to start...

No1

Good idea about planking a couple of bottles on the training route, not sure if I'll be able to do that in Amsterdam though!  :)

I just can't drink a half decent sip when I'm on the move and I really don't want to stop at all. I realise it's buck stupid but there ya go!

ballinaman

Really need to practice taking water on the run if you are struggling and practice drinking at the pace you hope to be running during the marathon.
Had a look at the Amsterdam course PDF there, seems to be aid station every 5km...
Can't afford to miss 15km and 20km aid stations, you'll need to be taking on fluid at that point for it to come into affect later in the race.

Bingo

I'd feel the cost in time of slowing down to get the water onboard would be massively offset by the time lost down the line in the last 5/6 miles if you didn't have the fluid onboard. Getting a drop in at every water station will stand to you.

Practice it and even slow down in these sections if you have to. It will pay for itself on the day.

Berlin presents another problem for the aid stations. Plastic cups! Apparently it can get quite chaotic at the stations and the surface is littered with them causing people to slip. Actually drinking from them is another issue. Been told to get long wide straws and cut them in half. When approaching the aid station, take one out from the belt/pocket and use this to get water onboard. Saves it choking you as it goes down and spilling down the vest.

magpie seanie

Quote from: No1 on September 08, 2015, 10:56:59 PM
Good idea about planking a couple of bottles on the training route, not sure if I'll be able to do that in Amsterdam though!  :)

I just can't drink a half decent sip when I'm on the move and I really don't want to stop at all. I realise it's buck stupid but there ya go!

I am the same but I've found those sports cap bottles great. Keep taking small sips. It takes longer but I can't manage it any other way. A big gulp of water nearly chokes me when on the run.

imtommygunn

Quote from: No1 on September 08, 2015, 10:56:59 PM

Lol - I did mean training runs!!

Yeah you will just need to bite the bullet. There will be plenty of water on the course I would say so no need to carry it. Don't know many who carry water in marathons. Your entry fee pays for that stufff...

Belfast plastic cups too.

ballinaman

That's a serious idea Bingo. Must give it a go over next few weeks.
Amsterdam is 5 weeks from this Sunday. Leaves 4 long runs left basically, probably will do an 18 miler 2 weeks before on 4th October. Looking at a 23 or 24 miler on September 26th.
Psychological warfare of a 13.1 mile tempo run yesterday....wasn't in the form and combination of 21 degree heat and skelp of pints over the weekend didn't help either. Managed it thankfully.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 09, 2015, 04:03:46 PM
Amsterdam is 5 weeks from this Sunday. Leaves 4 long runs left basically, probably will do an 18 miler 2 weeks before on 4th October. Looking at a 23 or 24 miler on September 26th.
Psychological warfare of a 13.1 mile tempo run yesterday....wasn't in the form and combination of 21 degree heat and skelp of pints over the weekend didn't help either. Managed it thankfully.

Out of interest (and just to admire) what pace was the tempo run?

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on September 09, 2015, 04:10:59 PM

6.30 mile average yesterday. September sun and wind was a strange combination. Have to get the body used to dealing with that pace mile after mile.
Going to target 6.15ish miles in marathon to dip under the 2.45 all going well.
Planning an 18 on Saturday with 1 mile warm up....16 at tempo and mile warm down. Cruel but has to be done if have any chance of 2.45

imtommygunn

How is the body holding up BM? All ok ?

[Edit] That is not intended to cause any paranoia!

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 09, 2015, 04:25:12 PM
How is the body holding up BM? All ok ?

[Edit] That is not intended to cause any paranoia!
Sore throat from roaring, pints and tshirt at the match last Saturday would be the height of it. Did 21 Saturday morning so immune system took a bit of a hit. No injuries thus far, keeping a close eye on things as you'd expect!

imtommygunn

Happy days. You'll be fine touch wood.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 09, 2015, 04:18:22 PM
Quote from: Bingo on September 09, 2015, 04:10:59 PM

6.30 mile average yesterday. September sun and wind was a strange combination. Have to get the body used to dealing with that pace mile after mile.
Going to target 6.15ish miles in marathon to dip under the 2.45 all going well.
Planning an 18 on Saturday with 1 mile warm up....16 at tempo and mile warm down. Cruel but has to be done if have any chance of 2.45

Fair play. That's tight going. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan.