Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Thinking of getting a shoe with cushioning. I seem to be getting trouble with heel strike the last year. I wear a normal shoe (neutral runner) and have never used stability shoes. My problem seemed to start when I wore a minimalist shoe in a half :'(

Anybody use the Mizuno wave paradox? Any other suggestions?

Walt Jabsco

Quote from: No1 on August 24, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Last plug for the Strangford Festival 10k this Saturday. Online entry closes on Wednesday but you can register on the day. Special guest with the starting pistol is Irish international Ciara Mageean! We have one gaaboard member signed up, would be to great to have a few more!

http://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/StrangfordFestival10k2015

Maybe 2!!  No.1    I am signed up but having some issues with a calf strain it may end up with a walk. Its a long time since I done that route with Big Jim

No1

Good stuff Walt, give me a shout when you are down. I'll be the boy running about panicking and trying not to roar at people!

Just imagine Big Jim is running alongside you growling and you'll not be long forgetting the calf strain!

Sure I know who it is now! There is no f**king way you'll be walking if John Ta is racing!😀

Mayo4Sam

If your up Saturday moysider call into base2race, Maria mccambridges husband Gary works as part of amphibian king there, couldn't recommend him enough, he'll find the right shoe for u
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

heffo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 26, 2015, 10:47:00 AM
Quote from: heffo on August 25, 2015, 10:44:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2015, 11:49:02 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 24, 2015, 04:57:44 PM
Well done lads!

I did Dublin City Triathlon yesterday and am doing DCM - should I rest for a few days or get straight back into it?

Weather bad for the Dub tri?? Take at least 3 days off any heavy stuff as the running after the cycle fairly takes it out of you..full distance Tri?

Weather was miserable, got soaked hanging around for a few hours for my wave and had no dry clothes for after!

I did 8k slow this evening as I'm away in a hotel and was getting cabin fever

Olympic distance alright - lots of reports of people being sick from the water, hope I dont have whatever it is
How'd you find the race Heffo? I was marshalling for it, probably checked ur bike going into transition. miserable day for it. They say the coke straight after the race is the job for killing off whatever u can pick up in the water and the tests of the water showed its the cleanest it had been all year, so hopefully not too many were sick

Loved it, great job done by Piranha, not a nice day for marshalling in that weather!

heffo

Anyone doing the Dublin half marathon? Looks like great value - I'll do it if Mayo win Sunday

Walt Jabsco

Quote from: No1 on August 26, 2015, 09:03:40 PM
Good stuff Walt, give me a shout when you are down. I'll be the boy running about panicking and trying not to roar at people! I thought that was Rintys job

Just imagine Big Jim is running alongside you growling and you'll not be long forgetting the calf strain! If you did imagine that you would forget everything not just the calf strain- Did you ever do any of his "stamina" sessions? or more commonly  known as commando training   

Sure I know who it is now! There is no f**king way you'll be walking if John Ta is racing!😀 Well I do like a pacer!!
There is so many events on this next week No.1 and would love to do them all Strangford, Bearnagh and the unforgettable Mill Hill Mile where I did indeed finish in front of your neighbour John Ta much to his dismay

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 26, 2015, 10:04:04 PM
If your up Saturday moysider call into base2race, Maria mccambridges husband Gary works as part of amphibian king there, couldn't recommend him enough, he'll find the right shoe for u

Good man. No plans made yet but that might happen.

Mayo4Sam

They're handy enough to get to from the M50, the ballymount exit
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on August 26, 2015, 10:24:53 PM
Anyone doing the Dublin half marathon? Looks like great value - I'll do it if Mayo win Sunday
Yeah I'm doing it. We get a finishers medal this year also which I think is great.
I think last year they gave out a hat or something which I never use, would rather the medal.
Great value alright as you get a t shirt as well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Walt Jabsco

Quote from: No1 on August 24, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Last plug for the Strangford Festival 10k this Saturday. Online entry closes on Wednesday but you can register on the day. Special guest with the starting pistol is Irish international Ciara Mageean! We have one gaaboard member signed up, would be to great to have a few more!

http://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/StrangfordFestival10k2015
Well done on you and your teams organisation of the event - suffering now with the calf strain
It was easier in the dark with Big Jim but then again it was 21 years ago
How many ran? I went to the tide after for a free "ice" bath hope it does some good
You missed the total eclipse at the four roads Danny Burger, Rock and Bruiser were standing in  a line directly in front of the sun. Sunlight only appeared  when one of them moved (but not very far) 

CD

So - I did perhaps the most ridiculous thing yesterday. Have had notions of the Dublin marathon but due to various setbacks over the summer I had no miles done at all. Ran 11 miles 4 weeks ago at a good 7.30 pace and was very comfortable at that. Decided to get out yesterday and see if I could manage to get a few miles in to see where I'm at after the enforced break.
Managed 16 miles and am in absolute agony today. I knew as I got to 13 that I was in trouble but kept going for I don't know why! Hips and lower back killing me today and didn't sleep a wink last night. Going to attempt 6 tomorrow and try to aim for 16 again this weekend. Not wise!
Anyone have any tips for recovery to get the pain out of these hips?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

imtommygunn

Stretch and hydrate cd! Hip flexors, lower back stretches etc.

take_yer_points

Quote from: CD on August 30, 2015, 10:27:22 AM
So - I did perhaps the most ridiculous thing yesterday. Have had notions of the Dublin marathon but due to various setbacks over the summer I had no miles done at all. Ran 11 miles 4 weeks ago at a good 7.30 pace and was very comfortable at that. Decided to get out yesterday and see if I could manage to get a few miles in to see where I'm at after the enforced break.
Managed 16 miles and am in absolute agony today. I knew as I got to 13 that I was in trouble but kept going for I don't know why! Hips and lower back killing me today and didn't sleep a wink last night. Going to attempt 6 tomorrow and try to aim for 16 again this weekend. Not wise!

I'm in the middle of getting ready for Dublin as well and went and played a game of indoor on Monday. Would normally play 3 or 4 times a week but hadn't played in 2 months with all the running. Was sore for days - back, shoulders for some reason, legs - wasn't right until Friday. Managed 16 this morning though at 7:50 per mile and not feeling too bad.
Belfast half marathon entry closes tonight for anyone doing it

CD

Quote from: take_yer_points on August 30, 2015, 03:49:47 PM
Quote from: CD on August 30, 2015, 10:27:22 AM

I'm in the middle of getting ready for Dublin as well and went and played a game of indoor on Monday. Would normally play 3 or 4 times a week but hadn't played in 2 months with all the running. Was sore for days - back, shoulders for some reason, legs - wasn't right until Friday. Managed 16 this morning though at 7:50 per mile and not feeling too bad.
Belfast half marathon entry closes tonight for anyone doing it
Registered last not - thanks for the reminder! Stretched like mad and got a fast 6 miles in today. Back is in bits but it'll clear up in a few days! Here's hoping!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!