Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Congrats on the PB anyway seanie. Sounds like you had  a tough day at the office alright.
Dunno what to say only keep the head up and maybe set another target race to help you forget about this one or even something like a parkrun
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Well done LL and Seanie. Great to hit PB's regardless of the day itself. The rest done you good LL to clip 11mins off last year, that's over a 1 minute a mile which is a big leap in a year.

Seanie - fair play for seeing it out. Some days it just doesn't happen and we've all been there. The previous 10 days could well have drained you and you can't see that coming. Another possible reason is that you've a flu or cold brewing and it has drained you but you'd likely have been hit by that now. Take the PB and move on, I always target another race after such a run to redeem the previous effort out in.

My biggest week on the marathon plan has just been put to bed. 55 mile week.
Tuesday - 6miles very slow recovery with 10x100m strides at the end. Went great.
Wednesday - 12 miles fairly slow. Shitty run, late getting out, hadn't eaten well and struggled through it but was happy to finish it.
Friday  - 12 miles with 7 at Half marathon pace. My Half pace should be 6.50 but struggled to keep it there, was more 7min pace but keep it at manageable pace and 3 easier miles to finish.
Saturday - 4 miles recovery. Legs felt very fresh and was moving better than the Friday.
Sunday  - 21 miles, easy pace. Woke at 7am to get this done. Was worried as been a long week, spent the best part of Saturday on the feet as we hosted a SFC championship double header and hadnt eaten properly until a feed of pasta on Saturday night. And it was lashing down. Took the less is more approach and wore a sleeveless light compression top and very light splash proof jacket that the rain just runs off but has great air gaps and a sun hat to keep the rain off face. Worked brilliantly. Done this solo as regular running buddy had done his on Saturday. Met a few of the lads on the route but all on different paces, directions and lengths (most of them for Dublin).
Run went great, all on my own, no earphones, rained the whole time and very little traffic until back in the town. Done the first 16 in just under 8min pace and planned to pick it up. Went great and found it easier to run at quickly pace that I thought, great to get in a rhythm and having to work. 2x 7.40min, 2x7.20m and final one at 7.18min.

Legs good afterwards and today, can feel it in the legs but moving freely and can't ask more than that!

muppet

Well done Seanie. A PB is progress no matter who you look at it.

I seem to be miles and miles off PBs at the moment.  :(
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on August 24, 2015, 11:57:44 AM
Well done LL and Seanie. Great to hit PB's regardless of the day itself. The rest done you good LL to clip 11mins off last year, that's over a 1 minute a mile which is a big leap in a year.

The main difference is last year all I did was run mile after mile of long easy paced runs for the Marathon training.
This year I'm doing way more goal pace runs,tempo runs and intervals.
It's really made a huge difference for me.
Half Marathon next,would love to go sub 1:50 but would be happy with a 1:52 or thereabouts which would still be a 10min PB.
Will have to work on hills though as I lost 4 mins over the last 2miles going up the hills to the finish line which is disappointing.

Muppet- Just run the marathon sure..whatever time you get will be a PB!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 24, 2015, 12:29:39 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 24, 2015, 11:57:44 AM

The main difference is last year all I did was run mile after mile of long easy paced runs for the Marathon training.
This year I'm doing way more goal pace runs,tempo runs and intervals.
It's really made a huge difference for me.
Half Marathon next,would love to go sub 1:50 but would be happy with a 1:52 or thereabouts which would still be a 10min PB.
Will have to work on hills though as I lost 4 mins over the last 2miles going up the hills to the finish line which is disappointing.

Muppet- Just run the marathon sure..whatever time you get will be a PB!

Very true. I find variation and pushing yourself through different paces really adds the value.

For your half, i'd try and push out to get a 14/15 mile run in once or twice. Just add the extra endurance into the legs for the half distance. Big chunks of time can be lost in the last mile or two, so knowing you have the miles in the legs can be a real boast.

ballinaman

Fair play Seanie. Sounds like an ordeal...the auld fella did it once about 10 years ago and still talks about it, mad race. Congrats, doubt many races will ever be as tough as that in the future.

Man Bingo...motoring nicely.
I'm going to have to move my long run to Friday this week as I'm heading to Dublin for the weekend on Saturday morning. Planning a 23 with last few miles nippy and don't fancy sitting into a car for 3 hours and then on pints for the evening. Stomach is usually a bit dodge after a long run so thinking better get it done on the Friday.
Mayo disrupting the training.. :P

heffo

Well done lads!

I did Dublin City Triathlon yesterday and am doing DCM - should I rest for a few days or get straight back into it?

ballinaman

Quote from: heffo on August 24, 2015, 04:57:44 PM
Well done lads!

I did Dublin City Triathlon yesterday and am doing DCM - should I rest for a few days or get straight back into it?
They say for every mile you race(run), takes a day to recover fully.

The question is who are "they"? it's probably not taking into account new knowledge of exercise physiology. But I'd take a few days handy after a hard race anyway...day off, day easy is what I usually do.

Bingo

Well done lads!

Rest? Did you not get a nice rest on the bike on the way to the start line after a cooling swim to freshen up??  ;)  ;D

Fair play on the triathlon, definite something I want to pursue and keep putting off. Have the first steps planned once I get Berlin outa the way. (IE get the bike fixed up!)

BM generally covers these well and I'd also question "they" with the day rest theory per mile. I'd say go easy for a few days and see how the body feels with a few easy runs.

I raced a 10m race last Sunday (10secs off PB for distance but could have clipped a couple of minutes off pushing it out harder) but put in a big week following it. You've 8 weeks to DCM and in good shape, so no need to force a tough week out. Take it easy and put some easy miles in the legs on Sunday on your LSR if that's the normal routine.

No1

Last plug for the Strangford Festival 10k this Saturday. Online entry closes on Wednesday but you can register on the day. Special guest with the starting pistol is Irish international Ciara Mageean! We have one gaaboard member signed up, would be to great to have a few more!

http://online.athleticsni.org/ps/event/StrangfordFestival10k2015

The Iceman

Lads a legend of a man from the Orchard County Stevey McGeown will finish his quest to run 100 Marathons in 100 consecutive days this coming Saturday in Gosford Park Armagh. Runners take off at 9am for the final marathon in the series and anyone and everyone is welcome. There will be family fun and opportunities for runners of all abilities to take part.
http://100marathons100days.ie/donate/
You can learn more and donate if possible following the above link.

I can't wrap my head around what it takes to do what Stevey has done but he is the most mentally strong person I've ever met. Please donate if you can but more importantly please show up - have a bit of craic and support this brave man over the line for 2600+ miles in the last 100 days.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Milltown Row2

Well done lads!

Weather bad for the Dub tri?? Take at least 3 days off any heavy stuff as the running after the cycle fairly takes it out of you..full distance Tri?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heffo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 24, 2015, 11:49:02 PM
Well done lads!

Weather bad for the Dub tri?? Take at least 3 days off any heavy stuff as the running after the cycle fairly takes it out of you..full distance Tri?

Weather was miserable, got soaked hanging around for a few hours for my wave and had no dry clothes for after!

I did 8k slow this evening as I'm away in a hotel and was getting cabin fever

Olympic distance alright - lots of reports of people being sick from the water, hope I dont have whatever it is

Milltown Row2

Quote from: heffo on August 25, 2015, 10:44:07 PM
Well done lads!

Weather was miserable, got soaked hanging around for a few hours for my wave and had no dry clothes for after!

Olympic distance alright - lots of reports of people being sick from the water, hope I dont have whatever it is

Well done... Back at them next season... Couldn't commit to the training this year due new job and being in England for 7 months... But looking forward to it next year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: heffo on August 25, 2015, 10:44:07 PM
Well done lads!

How'd you find the race Heffo? I was marshalling for it, probably checked ur bike going into transition. miserable day for it. They say the coke straight after the race is the job for killing off whatever u can pick up in the water and the tests of the water showed its the cleanest it had been all year, so hopefully not too many were sick
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me