Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2015, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 13, 2015, 11:36:03 AM
Sounds great. I love doing something different like that.
I still haven't ran in over a week now. Back is killing me.

Yeah, I welcomed the change of pace and the time flew by. Makes a change from slowly watching the miles clock up.

Not getting any better? Have you got it looked at?

One of those surreal moments last night - ran home through the town and it about 10.45. Leaving Certs out in force round town (Basshunter was playing a set in local nightclub - the younger board members may know him  ;) ), so place was very busy. Young ones all over the place, struggling to walk from combination of drink and high heels, ones sitting on street cause they can't get in the pubs/nightclub and cause they need a rest. Me looking at them in pity and them looking back wondering WTF was a man doing running the streets at near 11pm. Not sure who had the right idea  ;D

Where do you live - Ibiza??!!  ;D ;D

Bingo

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on August 13, 2015, 12:20:01 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2015, 12:07:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 13, 2015, 11:36:03 AM
Sounds great. I love doing something different like that.
I still haven't ran in over a week now. Back is killing me.

Yeah, I welcomed the change of pace and the time flew by. Makes a change from slowly watching the miles clock up.

Not getting any better? Have you got it looked at?

One of those surreal moments last night - ran home through the town and it about 10.45. Leaving Certs out in force round town (Basshunter was playing a set in local nightclub - the younger board members may know him  ;) ), so place was very busy. Young ones all over the place, struggling to walk from combination of drink and high heels, ones sitting on street cause they can't get in the pubs/nightclub and cause they need a rest. Me looking at them in pity and them looking back wondering WTF was a man doing running the streets at near 11pm. Not sure who had the right idea  ;D

Where do you live - Ibiza??!!  ;D ;D

Might as well have been last night. By all accounts it was like Magaluf inside the place and on the street afterwards. Playa del Blayney for one night only  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on August 13, 2015, 12:17:38 PM
Cheers for the stitches advice lads. When does this famed "running bug" I've heard all of you talk about kick in? The biggest issue for me don't the C25K runs is sheer boredom! I just want it to be over asap!

Once you get going and not stopping over that distance, then you can start running comfortably and enjoy it.... start looking at the Park runs, great place to get involved and talking to other runners, there are novices and competitive runners that use the park runs as part of their training or just to meet socially...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 13, 2015, 03:02:13 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 13, 2015, 12:17:38 PM
Cheers for the stitches advice lads. When does this famed "running bug" I've heard all of you talk about kick in? The biggest issue for me don't the C25K runs is sheer boredom! I just want it to be over asap!

Once you get going and not stopping over that distance, then you can start running comfortably and enjoy it.... start looking at the Park runs, great place to get involved and talking to other runners, there are novices and competitive runners that use the park runs as part of their training or just to meet socially...

C25K finishes 7th September - will probably aim for mixture of parkruns in Dublin and Belfast for a few weeks. Belfast park run on September 26th was the initial target.

pullhard

just done a pyramid session at lunch very rewarding but tough going
10 min warm up
1 min on and 30 secs rest, build up to 5 on with half time rest.
Legs are like jelly, lungs are burning!

Bingo

Quote from: pullhard on August 13, 2015, 03:22:58 PM
just done a pyramid session at lunch very rewarding but tough going
10 min warm up
1 min on and 30 secs rest, build up to 5 on with half time rest.
Legs are like jelly, lungs are burning!

Its a great session and one that I would have enjoyed previously. Tight going without a doubt but the last 1 min on feels like you are getting released from prison!!

pullhard

Trying to give it all on the last, form gone, legs long gone. But the mind stayed strong!!!

laoislad

So what did you do. 1min on 30secs off,2min on 1min off,3min on 1.30 off...etc etc?
How fast do you go when on?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

pullhard

1 on
30 rest
2 on
1 rest
3 on
1.5 rest
4 on
2 rest
5 on
2.5 rest
and back down again.

Around 75-80% of Max HR

No1

For the marathon lads here. Into week 7 of a training program. Missed last nights 10 miler, missed tonight's 7 miler and more than likely to miss the next 6 miler and this weeks long run of 17 miles. Am I fucked? Or will I be ok if if I pick it up again next Tuesday starting with a 7 mile tempo and stick rigidly to the program from then on in?

pullhard

life gets in the way. I wouldn't worry about it as you'll have a good base by now. get back on the horse when you can, btw you'll be flying for the tempo on your fresh legs

gallsman

Did the 20 min run today with no stitch issues. First half was into a headwind and second half mostly uphill so was surprised I got through it. Made sure to check the pace at the start but had plenty at the end for the final stretch home. Have to figure out how to keep it steady!

laoislad

Quote from: gallsman on August 14, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
Did the 20 min run today with no stitch issues. First half was into a headwind and second half mostly uphill so was surprised I got through it. Made sure to check the pace at the start but had plenty at the end for the final stretch home. Have to figure out how to keep it steady!
I remember being over the moon when I done that 20min run during the couch to 5k program! I was worried about doing it the whole week before I did it.
I think I caught the running bug after doing it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gallsman

Quote from: laoislad on August 14, 2015, 08:18:58 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 14, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
I remember being over the moon when I done that 20min run during the couch to 5k program! I was worried about doing it the whole week before I did it.
I think I caught the running bug after doing it.

Aye, I only look at the week ahead's runs after finishing the previous week's and gulped when I saw the jump from two runs of 8 with a 5 minute walk in between to 20 mins unbroken. Definitely feels like a wee mini breakthrough as I had very little hope this morning that I'd be able to do it.

Only problem was that it coincided with leg day in the gym. I was walking like John Wayne on my way to work afterwards.  :(

magpie seanie

Brilliant Gallsman, delighted it went well for you. Keep her lit.