Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CD

I packed in the football way too early Seanie and have regretted it every year since. Play as long as you're able. The aches do last a bit longer but you've loads of years ahead to run. Good luck with the game and the Warriors run - I'd say you'll be tackling the wild Atlantic half as well? Thinking of registering for that one.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

magpie seanie

Won't make any decision on the Wild Atlantic Half until after the Warriors. Have never done a half and think it would be doable with a kick on over the 4-6 weeks after the Warriors. I've a trip to Birmingham the weekend after the Warriors so that won't help. The Wild Atlantic Half should be a nice run (weather permitting) but it might just come too soon for me.

Bingo

Seanie, if you've trained for Warriors and played ball, worked away. A week between match and run is enough time to recover and with recent matches under your belt the soreness and recovery time might even improve  ;) However, I'd say if you have doubts and will try to avoid an injury, you be as well missing it, its normally the time that something does happen. You normally come out the worst when you half go for something.

Did my first 20mile of the year yesterday and surprisingly fresh after it. Would know its in the legs but the training to date has been good, hitting all the planned runs and controlling the pace. Ran a comfortable 8min mile pace throughout and picked up last 4 miles to 7.30min. Plan had scheduled a 16mile run but was one of the changes I made to fit in a third 20mile run rather than the 2 in the schedule Last 2 weeks have been 50mile weeks but have been off work for these weeks and the difference it makes when you can plan the runs and recover afterwards is incredible. With work and everything else you normally rushing into a run or out of a run. Much easier, so if anyone would like to sponsor a middle of the field slogger to fund a professional lifestyle I'll consider all offers  ;)  :D

laoislad

Sure who could afford an accountants wage...robbin bastids.. ;)

Haven't done any running myself since last wednesday. Hurt my back putting down a timber floor last week and have been taking pain killers since. It's a bit better today.
Frank Duffy 10mile on saturday week should be fun now  ::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 10, 2015, 10:34:23 AM
Sure who could afford an accountants wage...robbin bastids.. ;)

Haven't done any running myself since last wednesday. Hurt my back putting down a timber floor last week and have been taking pain killers since. It's a bit better today.
Frank Duffy 10mile on saturday week should be fun now  ::)

That's harsh, we have to live as well. Have you seen the price of Swiss Alpine bottled spring water recently? And how many bottles of this stuff it takes to fill a bath??  >:(

CD

Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 10:16:59 AM
Seanie, if you've trained for Warriors and played ball, worked away. A week between match and run is enough time to recover and with recent matches under your belt the soreness and recovery time might even improve  ;) However, I'd say if you have doubts and will try to avoid an injury, you be as well missing it, its normally the time that something does happen. You normally come out the worst when you half go for something.

Did my first 20mile of the year yesterday and surprisingly fresh after it. Would know its in the legs but the training to date has been good, hitting all the planned runs and controlling the pace. Ran a comfortable 8min mile pace throughout and picked up last 4 miles to 7.30min. Plan had scheduled a 16mile run but was one of the changes I made to fit in a third 20mile run rather than the 2 in the schedule Last 2 weeks have been 50mile weeks but have been off work for these weeks and the difference it makes when you can plan the runs and recover afterwards is incredible. With work and everything else you normally rushing into a run or out of a run. Much easier, so if anyone would like to sponsor a middle of the field slogger to fund a professional lifestyle I'll consider all offers  ;)  :D
That's brutal running Bingo! I went out with a group on Sunday for what was meant to be a long slow run - 8.30+. A couple of club runners really pulled us along and ran 11 miles x 7.50. Really enjoyed the intensity and the pace. A bit sore today but not too bad. Aiming for a couple of half marathons and then Dublin all being well! Need to step up the mile count. Hoping to get away with 35 miles a week by adding 2 every Sunday and taking 2 away midweek. Would love to manage either a spinning or yoga class but can't find the time.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on August 10, 2015, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: Bingo on August 10, 2015, 10:16:59 AM

That's brutal running Bingo! I went out with a group on Sunday for what was meant to be a long slow run - 8.30+. A couple of club runners really pulled us along and ran 11 miles x 7.50. Really enjoyed the intensity and the pace. A bit sore today but not too bad. Aiming for a couple of half marathons and then Dublin all being well! Need to step up the mile count. Hoping to get away with 35 miles a week by adding 2 every Sunday and taking 2 away midweek. Would love to manage either a spinning or yoga class but can't find the time.

Maybe not so much for the spinning while doing the marathon training but certainly the Yoga/Pilate's or I've been doing this fusion/body balance class for a few months along with the Pilate's .... great classes and once you get over the fact that it may feel a little corny it actually has great benefits... stretching and core work.. time like anything is tough with families but would recommend it highly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on July 17, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
Long time cardio avoider who only does a few conditioning classes like circuits a few times a week, no endurance training done really in the last 10 years since I stopped playing. Have just finished week 1 of couch to 5k with no real difficulty and am targeting a September park run to finish it off. What would be a good target to set for an absolute beginner? Sub 30?

So, I'm beyond halfway at this stage and have been going pretty good so far. Sometimes I've had to do the runs on treadmill to fit in with weights programme but haven't failed to complete a run to date. Have no gear other than my phone, so am not paying attention to pace or heart rate or anything - my goal is just to finish the 5k at this stage. (Although Milltown, I might have to let you down as sub 25 would have me over the moon. My original, speculative sub-30 target is looking increasingly ambitious at this stage!).

The most recent session called for two runs of 8 mins with a 5 min walk in between them. I've a habit of developing a mild stitch on my right hand side towards the end of my first run and then managing to get through with it on the second one. However, the next session calls for one run of 20 minutes, which I'm not sure I'll be able to get through when the stitch kicks in after 5/6 mins. Any advice or tips?

magpie seanie

Well done on your progress so far, brilliant to have not missed a beat.

Perhaps you need to slow down, especially when you feel the stitch come on? You don't need to be flying it to get through this. I found from playing gaelic football we're conditioned to go at things like a bull at a gate - it's the way we're trained (or certainly were, it might be different now). With running it seems counterintuitive but slowing down to what will feel like an intolerably (almost embarrassing) slow is what you should do. The other guys here who know better what they're talking about will probably explain it better.

Keep it up and good luck.

Bingo

For the stitches have a read of this http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/four-ways-to-stop-the-dreaded-side-stitch

In my experience it can come from wind - food eaten before hand, galloping down water in the hour before a run or breathing badly at the start of a run. Generally a stretch of the side can shift it - standing straight, lower hand down one side/leg, where raising the other up and over head and then rolling towards the side over towards the side with the hand down the side/leg. But getting the cause of it sorted is better than having to do this.

As seanie says, starting too quickly and getting breathing wrong can trap the air and cause it. Take not of your routine prior to next run and starting changing parts until you eliminate the stitch. Normally something simple.

First V02 Max session last night of the marathon cycle. Had the 20miles done sunday, did 5 very easy Tuesday and 10miles last night with 5x1km at 5k pace. Good tight session but felt way more manageable than similar sessions in prior cycles. Was fairly late when I got out to do it (9.30pm) and was just back from a very frustrating 1pt defeat in a senior league game, so definitely felt like putting in some effort! A nice 12 mile run to look forward to this evening, pace will be a lot easier!

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2015, 10:52:04 AM
For the stitches have a read of this http://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/four-ways-to-stop-the-dreaded-side-stitch

In my experience it can come from wind - food eaten before hand, galloping down water in the hour before a run or breathing badly at the start of a run. Generally a stretch of the side can shift it - standing straight, lower hand down one side/leg, where raising the other up and over head and then rolling towards the side over towards the side with the hand down the side/leg. But getting the cause of it sorted is better than having to do this.

As seanie says, starting too quickly and getting breathing wrong can trap the air and cause it. Take not of your routine prior to next run and starting changing parts until you eliminate the stitch. Normally something simple.

First V02 Max session last night of the marathon cycle. Had the 20miles done sunday, did 5 very easy Tuesday and 10miles last night with 5x1km at 5k pace. Good tight session but felt way more manageable than similar sessions in prior cycles. Was fairly late when I got out to do it (9.30pm) and was just back from a very frustrating 1pt defeat in a senior league game, so definitely felt like putting in some effort! A nice 12 mile run to look forward to this evening, pace will be a lot easier!

Do you do the 5 x 1 km at the end of the 10 mile or mix them into the middle of the run?

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 13, 2015, 11:19:56 AM
Quote from: Bingo on August 13, 2015, 10:52:04 AM

Do you do the 5 x 1 km at the end of the 10 mile or mix them into the middle of the run?

I done them about 3.5 miles in. I done them at the track at the gaa field that is 500m per lap, so ran out a route to it that about the 3.5miles, so was decent warm up. Did the 1km and then 3 sides of the track as a very slow recovery in between, just to start and finish in different places and keep the mind working somewhat. Then an easy run home, a shorter route than the route out. Worked out great, nice warm and nice recovery/slow run afterwards.

laoislad

Sounds great. I love doing something different like that.
I still haven't ran in over a week now. Back is killing me.

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on August 13, 2015, 11:36:03 AM
Sounds great. I love doing something different like that.
I still haven't ran in over a week now. Back is killing me.

Yeah, I welcomed the change of pace and the time flew by. Makes a change from slowly watching the miles clock up.

Not getting any better? Have you got it looked at?

One of those surreal moments last night - ran home through the town and it about 10.45. Leaving Certs out in force round town (Basshunter was playing a set in local nightclub - the younger board members may know him  ;) ), so place was very busy. Young ones all over the place, struggling to walk from combination of drink and high heels, ones sitting on street cause they can't get in the pubs/nightclub and cause they need a rest. Me looking at them in pity and them looking back wondering WTF was a man doing running the streets at near 11pm. Not sure who had the right idea  ;D

gallsman

Cheers for the stitches advice lads. When does this famed "running bug" I've heard all of you talk about kick in? The biggest issue for me don't the C25K runs is sheer boredom! I just want it to be over asap!