Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Did a half marathon yesterday and didn't feel too bad. Doing the Rock & Roll half next Sunday morning now.

Am signed for the DCM - the Athlone 3/4 Marathon is on the 3rd October - good preparation or advised against??

muppet

Quote from: stew on July 26, 2015, 07:08:39 PM
I absolutely hate running, that said in an effort to lose 40lbs I recently ran a 10k, I was in hoping to do it inside an hour and ended up doing it in 53:53, I was delighted to be honest.

I swim a mile a day...........slowly, and fairly recently bought a new bike, I love to swim, like to ride and hate to run but since I am too slow to play football anymore I am forced to try things I am not neither natural nor good at in order to fire the competitive juices.

Hopefully moving full time to Florida helps because 20 below wind chill for half the year kills the desire to get shit done.

Very good going!
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: stew on July 26, 2015, 07:08:39 PM
I absolutely hate running, that said in an effort to lose 40lbs I recently ran a 10k, I was in hoping to do it inside an hour and ended up doing it in 53:53, I was delighted to be honest.

I swim a mile a day...........slowly, and fairly recently bought a new bike, I love to swim, like to ride and hate to run but since I am too slow to play football anymore I am forced to try things I am not neither natural nor good at in order to fire the competitive juices.

Hopefully moving full time to Florida helps because 20 below wind chill for half the year kills the desire to get shit done.

Great going Stew, keep it up!

muppet

Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2015, 08:57:50 PM
Did a half marathon yesterday and didn't feel too bad. Doing the Rock & Roll half next Sunday morning now.

Am signed for the DCM - the Athlone 3/4 Marathon is on the 3rd October - good preparation or advised against??

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne etc, I'm out! Nowhere near fit enough and more particularly motivated enough at the moment. I will keep doing some runs and wait for the bug to return.

Well done on the half. I might target the Clontarf half in November again, which LL mentioned as a possible target.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on July 26, 2015, 09:49:52 PM

In the words of Duncan Bannatyne etc, I'm out! Nowhere near fit enough and more particularly motivated enough at the moment. I will keep doing some runs and wait for the bug to return.

Well done on the half. I might target the Clontarf half in November again, which LL mentioned as a possible target.

Use the Clontarf 1/2 as a target for yourself, are you doing much each week?

muppet

Quote from: heffo on July 26, 2015, 09:53:38 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 26, 2015, 09:49:52 PM

Use the Clontarf 1/2 as a target for yourself, are you doing much each week?

It is a twice yearly event. I did the July one 3 weeks ago and struggled to finish in 2 hrs 6. I have taken a break and only run twice since but I won't let it go. Might run tomorrow actually.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Played junior championship today and am crippled!!! Had a decent game but we lost. No joke but at least 10 of our team are 19/20 making them about half my age. Next oldest to me was about 28. Not a proper junior team at all!!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 26, 2015, 11:49:40 PM
Played junior championship today and am crippled!!! Had a decent game but we lost. No joke but at least 10 of our team are 19/20 making them about half my age. Next oldest to me was about 28. Not a proper junior team at all!!!!

Running straight lines is fine, twisting turning taking hits and kicking balls is an altogether different pain... Good luck the next couple days.... I refereed div 1 hurling game on a boggy pitch today after 4 mile run this morning followed by a balance class! Thought id be alright, not the case.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Might be time you moved onto The Sunday Game panel.  :D
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on July 27, 2015, 12:39:48 AM

Might be time you moved onto The Sunday Game panel.  :D

To hell with that! When you're mercifully still able to play why in the name of God wouldn't ya?

BenDover

Quote from: BenDover on July 26, 2015, 08:46:56 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on July 24, 2015, 03:43:03 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 24, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: BenDover on July 24, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
Lads - any good apps out there that let ye configure fartlek intervals?
My watch lets me create custom workouts and alerts you when to speed up slow down etc. Have you a Garmin?
Don't know of any apps

Runkeeper lets you do it...

https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/201827433-Creating-One-Off-Workouts
Great shout - good man
Just used this and works fantastically even got my workout intervals logged.

take_yer_points

Quote from: BenDover on July 29, 2015, 01:32:00 PM
Quote from: BenDover on July 26, 2015, 08:46:56 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on July 24, 2015, 03:43:03 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 24, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: BenDover on July 24, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
Lads - any good apps out there that let ye configure fartlek intervals?
My watch lets me create custom workouts and alerts you when to speed up slow down etc. Have you a Garmin?
Don't know of any apps

Runkeeper lets you do it...

https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/201827433-Creating-One-Off-Workouts
Great shout - good man
Just used this and works fantastically even got my workout intervals logged.

Yeah, great job. I use it with an iPhone 5C and the only complaint I'd have is the GPS can sometimes log me running all over the place (when really I've just been running in a straight line) and incorrectly increases the mileage as a result. I've tried letting the apps sit at Good GPS for a minute or two before starting to run rather than heading off as soon as it says Good GPS and think that has helped a bit. I'd say that's more a problem with the GPS hardware in the phone than the app though.

heffo

Anyone doing the Rock & Roll 1/2 Marathon Sunday?

pullhard

Signed up for a 10miler in December. Thinking of following the hal higdon half program would this ok or to much?

heffo

Did the Rock n Roll 1/2 yesterday in 1.54 - very happy with that