Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Missed out on my long run last weekend due to a myriad of things (Connacht Final being one of them  >:( and brother home from the US also meant pints) so felt mighty guilty all week. Decided I'd do about 11k and mapped out a route on the mapymyrun website. Great. Halfway through it I knew I'd obviously made a balls of the map so ended up doing 13.5k. Delighted. Pizza tonight!

BenDover

Lads - any good apps out there that let ye configure fartlek intervals?

ballinaman

10K tomorrow night at 7. Going to attack it and go for the PB.
Will be last short one for a bit, into marathon mode from Monday!

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on July 24, 2015, 02:59:34 PM
My watch lets me create custom workouts and alerts you when to speed up slow down etc. Have you a Garmin?
Don't know of any apps
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BenDover

No - mainly use my mobile with RunKeeper to track any runs

magpie seanie

Was supposed to do a 5k Sunday but we've a Junior Championship match at the same time. I feel there's a PB in me at present but next 5k I'll run is a local one on a tough course. Great prep for the Warriors but not going to help with a PB.

Anyway - the big target is the Warriors. Not going to push for the half marathon after, just can't get the time to do enough training.

take_yer_points

Quote from: laoislad on July 24, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
My watch lets me create custom workouts and alerts you when to speed up slow down etc. Have you a Garmin?
Don't know of any apps

Runkeeper lets you do it...

https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/201827433-Creating-One-Off-Workouts

Never beat the deeler

Did the Swan River 14km this morning. Only signed up on Friday, and tbh wasn't really feeling it.

Calf was real tight yesterday and I spent a while on the foam roller, but gave me a lot of bother today.

Set out pretty slow as I had only done max 10km in the last few months. Watch struggled to find satellites at the start so I didn't get that working for 2.5kms, which meant I had only a vague idea of how quick I was going. Anyway, I felt that I was going slower than usual, and labouring. There was a climb that started at 8km in, which turned into a really steep climb from 8.5-9.5km, which then eased off a bit, but didnt get to the top of the hill until the 10km mark. At this stage I had a really tight right calf a massive knot in my right glute, and a blister on my right instep.

As I got to the 10km mark, I looked at my watch and the time was 08:58. This was way faster than I had expected, and this along with the downhill stretch gave me real confidence to push on. The glute wasn't as bad going downhill so I pushed on.

My ave time/km kept dropping the closer i got to the finish, and managed to post an official time of 1:14:41.

To say I'm delighted is an understatement - I had figured I would do well to break 1:20, and half way through I was ready to revise that to 1:25
Hasta la victoria siempre

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 26, 2015, 06:54:49 AM
Did the Swan River 14km this morning. Only signed up on Friday, and tbh wasn't really feeling it.

Calf was real tight yesterday and I spent a while on the foam roller, but gave me a lot of bother today.

Set out pretty slow as I had only done max 10km in the last few months. Watch struggled to find satellites at the start so I didn't get that working for 2.5kms, which meant I had only a vague idea of how quick I was going. Anyway, I felt that I was going slower than usual, and labouring. There was a climb that started at 8km in, which turned into a really steep climb from 8.5-9.5km, which then eased off a bit, but didnt get to the top of the hill until the 10km mark. At this stage I had a really tight right calf a massive knot in my right glute, and a blister on my right instep.

As I got to the 10km mark, I looked at my watch and the time was 08:58. This was way faster than I had expected, and this along with the downhill stretch gave me real confidence to push on. The glute wasn't as bad going downhill so I pushed on.

My ave time/km kept dropping the closer i got to the finish, and managed to post an official time of 1:14:41.

To say I'm delighted is an understatement - I had figured I would do well to break 1:20, and half way through I was ready to revise that to 1:25

Good man.

And congrats on the new world record.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on July 26, 2015, 06:59:41 AM

Good man.

And congrats on the new world record.  ;)

Cheers! Although I was careful to word it correctly. The time was 08:58. Ya see, my GPS wasn't working at the start so I hadn't a scooby doo how quick I was going

(I'm sure you know all this, but anyway)

ballinaman

Class...fair play, had a look at the website. Looks a great course. The Aussies love their strange distances...did city to surf in Sydney when I was over there...think it's about 12km or something, never get a race like that here! Forces ya to do it teb next year to try and do a PB ya see!

Don't know what happened myself last night, legs had no zip, just one of those races. Notorious course which I did when I was a pup and forgot how many rolling hills there was. 42 seconds off the PB which is plenty. Another day it'll go hopefully!

Bingo

Good stuff deeler, always a great buzz hitting a time. And BM at least you are mortal and can have an off day  ;)
Have been clocking up decent mileage and yesterday was the club's 10 miler.  Was a great event again in its second year and over 200 entries, up about 60 from last year. The race itself had all the trimmings and everyone went home happy. The finish is a lap of the GAA clubs track at field, so it's a good stadium feel to it.
I had planned on having a good run at 1.07 which would have been a PB but Friday evening was asked if I'd run as a guide for a visually impaired runner. I have done it before bit only on a couple of shorter training runs. The guy who was to do the guide would have done it lots and in races bit he had a funeral to attend.
have to say, it was as good as any PB. Andy was a great companion and a serious inspiration. We set a 1.08 target as both similar paces. He ran track for Ireland in his youth as a visually impaired runner and also on the tandem bike. He training for the great north run in September and has done a few marathons.
We really worked together after a difficult start due to crowds of enthusiastic runners, but we kept a slow pace till the field opened up. After a mile we where picking off runners at our ease, I talked him through the course and we where joined by a loop of a shoe lace that we both held. Last couple of mile was hardest, it's a tight slow drag into a headwind and the narrows part of the course but we got through it fine.
Finished in 1.10.30 and both happy at that. Was a great experience. Andy is blind but is heading to Thurles today for the hurling as he is a Waterford living outside newry.

Conor Duffy won the race in just under 54mins.

On the holidays this week in the sunny (it's raining) south east, so be nice to get out running on a few different routes!

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: ballinaman on July 26, 2015, 08:08:05 AM

Class...fair play, had a look at the website. Looks a great course. The Aussies love their strange distances...did city to surf in Sydney when I was over there...think it's about 12km or something, never get a race like that here! Forces ya to do it teb next year to try and do a PB ya see!

Don't know what happened myself last night, legs had no zip, just one of those races. Notorious course which I did when I was a pup and forgot how many rolling hills there was. 42 seconds off the PB which is plenty. Another day it'll go hopefully!

Yeah, the C2S is next up on 30 August. HBF do a big one each year which is 12km too.

stew

I absolutely hate running, that said in an effort to lose 40lbs I recently ran a 10k, I was in hoping to do it inside an hour and ended up doing it in 53:53, I was delighted to be honest.

I swim a mile a day...........slowly, and fairly recently bought a new bike, I love to swim, like to ride and hate to run but since I am too slow to play football anymore I am forced to try things I am not neither natural nor good at in order to fire the competitive juices.

Hopefully moving full time to Florida helps because 20 below wind chill for half the year kills the desire to get shit done.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BenDover

Quote from: take_yer_points on July 24, 2015, 03:43:03 PM
Quote from: laoislad on July 24, 2015, 03:17:55 PM
Don't know of any apps

Runkeeper lets you do it...

https://support.runkeeper.com/hc/en-us/articles/201827433-Creating-One-Off-Workouts
Great shout - good man