Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Where is the best/cheapest place to get decent runners around Dublin?

Current Asics are ready for the bin

gallsman

Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2015, 11:12:18 AM

Asics store in Kildare village has all sorts.

heffo

Quote from: gallsman on July 18, 2015, 11:20:25 AM
Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2015, 11:12:18 AM

Asics store in Kildare village has all sorts.

Nice one forgot about there

imtommygunn

Gallsman the answer to your question on 30 minutes is it depends. Once you get through a few weeks of the couch to 5k you'll figure out what pace you can go at.

It's good to have a target and it may be a good target but it all depends. I know a few ones who set the same target and some blitzed it and some just beat it. Give it a few weeks first to find your feet.

It's 9 minute plus miles. Should be manageable.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on July 17, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
Long time cardio avoider who only does a few conditioning classes like circuits a few times a week, no endurance training done really in the last 10 years since I stopped playing. Have just finished week 1 of couch to 5k with no real difficulty and am targeting a September park run to finish it off. What would be a good target to set for an absolute beginner? Sub 30?

Don't embarrass the club.... Sub 25!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Maroon Manc

Been running about 6 weeks, doing 5k's 2 or 3 times a week. Finding it difficult to keep running for the whole 5k though, will always stop to walk at least once but more often than not twice. I'd like not to stop for the whole 5k and that's always my intention but not managed it so far.

lfdown2

The club's 5 mile race coming up soon if anyone was interested;

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 18, 2015, 01:28:07 PM
Been running about 6 weeks, doing 5k's 2 or 3 times a week. Finding it difficult to keep running for the whole 5k though, will always stop to walk at least once but more often than not twice. I'd like not to stop for the whole 5k and that's always my intention but not managed it so far.

Good stuff, great that you're sticking at it. My advice to you would be to start off really slowly, slower than you usually run. your target is to do your 5k without stopping or maybe only stopping once. It does not matter how long it takes. It can feel unnatural for even the most inexperienced runner to go so slow but once you discipline yourself to do it you get used to it. After a while you'll do your 5k comfortably and you can maybe pick up your pace a little. When you stick to it you will improve. I'm only two years at it and I love it. My first steps were just about doing 15-20 minutes and building from there.

CD

Most of the 14 week marathon plans commence this week for anyone interested in doing Dublin! Made a start on Monday. 6 miles to do today and 12 on Sat or Sunday. going to replace at least one run a week with swim/spin/circuits or Pilates to rest the ankles. Two identical pairs of runners bought and loads of Vaseline for the nooks and crannies
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on July 22, 2015, 07:43:57 AM
Most of the 14 week marathon plans commence this week for anyone interested in doing Dublin! Made a start on Monday. 6 miles to do today and 12 on Sat or Sunday. going to replace at least one run a week with swim/spin/circuits or Pilates to rest the ankles. Two identical pairs of runners bought and loads of Vaseline for the nooks and crannies

Fingers crossed CD hope this all works out for you..... Was tempted but I have a great wee set of classes at the gym with good craic and enjoy my wee runs where I live... For the Marathon I'd have to give that up to do one race... Nah!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

take_yer_points

Started a 16 week plan 2 weeks ago on Monday. I said after Belfast last year I'd never do one again but have got the bug again. I'm following a plan on Runkeeper - great job so far, it tells me through the earphones when to start a new interval, etc... The GPS can sometimes be a bit of a pain when it messes up but hasn't been too bad so far. I've 8 mile to do today and then 11 at the weekend

Going to try and work in the Belfast half in September as well

CD

Had a beautiful 10km this morning around Roughey and the Nun's Walk in Bundoran. Sun shining and a pod of dolphins in the bay that I was tempted to stop and watch!
Aiming to do Belfast half as well - enjoyed it last year! I'll try to work in the Letterkenny half and Sligo ten mile as wel. Good.uck with the preparation points!
Cheers MR! Fingers crossed the body holds up!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Would nearly be tempted but I promised herself I wouldn't!
Think I'll stick with the Dublin half in September and then the Clontarf Half in November.
Frank Duffy 10mile next month also.
Best of luck with it CD.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

take_yer_points

Has anyone done the Dam busters Silent Valley half marathon? It's on 22 August this year - I'm thinking about giving it a go. Might be a stupid question considering its in the middle of the Mournes (I think) but is it a hilly course?

Walt Jabsco

Not a big fan of them but check their website out they usually have a Garmin route on for their races
There is a bit of trail at the start and end with a run along the Valley to Ben Crom Dam and return in between
As flat a race as you will get in that part of the country