Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Yeah was reading a bit on it. That website thing and even the name (linking it to the Titantic 10k as well) suggest they on the take.

Seems its been uncovered that they behind a played colour run in Belfast in August as well, so they could be getting a nice reception at that if it goes ahead.

imtommygunn

I'd say it'd be best for those people if they keep their heads down for a while. Seems to have caused a bit of outrage.

Bingo

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-33524224

It was sabotaged he says  ;D Someone went to a lot of trouble to remove half a mile from the route  ;D

Milltown Row2

Bad craic for the runners, but a great money scheme all the same....

Just back from a hilly 4 mile run, fecked!! 29 mins think I've reached my plateau
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oakleaflad

Thinking of joining the club so to speak. Could anyone recommend a good running shoe to me?
I can't see me running anything over 10km in the next year or so anyway if that makes a difference to the type of shoe.

ballinaman

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 15, 2015, 02:32:25 PM
Thinking of joining the club so to speak. Could anyone recommend a good running shoe to me?
I can't see me running anything over 10km in the next year or so anyway if that makes a difference to the type of shoe.
Go into a sports shop. Try on a rake of shoes and run up and down the shop and see what's most comfortable in your price range. That simple and as much science behind it than other methods. Just go with what you feel comfortable with....not with what the shop assistant thinks you need....stability-motion control-neutral- ect have little bearing in reality. Shop assistants are reading from a script majority of the time.

Step rate and step length, ankle mobility ect have more important role in running economy than the shoe.

Bingo

Novice Advice:

Go at your own pace and own distance at first, gradually build up your distance. People tend to start by comparing themselves to John down the road and reckon they should be able to do what he does, can be big mistake. Do your own thing and enjoy it.

Target a local 5km race and build towards it. A target will give you focus and something to aim for.

Start the habit of drinking more and more water, if you don't already. It will mean you won't need to take it onboard during runs and it will help recover quickly. Sip at water all day rather than gulp a glass down every hour. You'll notice the difference in many ways.

Longer term, if you can get involved with a running group, you'll have company and likely someone at similar level to push each other along. And it gives it a great social element for travelling to runs and getting direct help/advice/encouragement.

Bound to be more but that's what I'd point too.

laoislad

I'd still class myself as a novice.
Just enjoy it is good advice and take it handy at the start. Build yourself up slowly as Bingo said, it will be better for you in the longterm.
A good way to start is the c25k program. I can't recommend it highly enough.
It got me into it and a few others on this thread also.

I'd do the c25k then target a 5k at the end of it like a park run or something.
Then just go from there..10k half and if you're interested a full Marathon. Might seem impossible right now but if I can anyone can.

Don't be too bothered about anyone else's times also. There will always be someone faster so I like to be competitive with myself rather than worry about anyone else.
This thread is great for that. Everyone is genuinely delighted when someone gets a PB they have be working hard for.
Don't be afraid to ask questions on here either, you'll always find someone to help.
Once you have he running bug there is no going back!
My only regret is I didn't start running till I was 34 I wish I had started 10 years earlier.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on July 16, 2015, 01:13:01 PM
I'd still class myself as a novice.
Just enjoy it is good advice and take it handy at the start. Build yourself up slowly as Bingo said, it will be better for you in the longterm.
A good way to start is the c25k program. I can't recommend it highly enough.
It got me into it and a few others on this thread also.

I'd do the c25k then target a 5k at the end of it like a park run or something.
Then just go from there..10k half and if you're interested a full Marathon. Might seem impossible right now but if I can anyone can.

Don't be too bothered about anyone else's times also. There will always be someone faster so I like to be competitive with myself rather than worry about anyone else.
This thread is great for that. Everyone is genuinely delighted when someone gets a PB they have be working hard for.
Don't be afraid to ask questions on here either, you'll always find someone to help.
Once you have he running bug there is no going back!
My only regret is I didn't start running till I was 34 I wish I had started 10 years earlier.
[/b]

If you'd have started 10 years earlier ya could be injury hit now, sensible (well meant to be) now as your older and taking on advice rather than going gung ho has made you a better runner possibly

Anyone doing sea to sky on Friday night? was going to but have reneged !! refereeing instead but a lot of friends doing it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

The key thing is you do it for enjoyment. A lot of people who start of do every session where they're busted by the end of it and this takes the enjoyment out of it. I think this is the wrong way to do it - take your runs slowly and build up your distances for a bit of time at the start to get the fitness up. Then start doing a bit of speed once you're fitter but not every run - every 2nd or 3rd one.

Something like a parkrun is a good thing to do every few weeks as having that time and that time to beat are good things for motivation. If parkruns aren't feasible then the odd race but either are really good for the motivation. Best thing about running races etc is that it's you against yourself primarily. Get your time and then aim to beat it - then it's about you and no-one else.

Once you run a few you will probably build up a rivalry with a few people which can only be good. Running rivalries tend to be friendly too!

Once you get the fitness up a bit it would help to have company for the long runs but get it there first.

What part of Derry are you in? Plenty of clubs about. Loads in the city and now a good few springing up in south derry too.

pullhard

Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2015, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: pullhard on July 13, 2015, 02:45:55 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2015, 11:29:58 AM
Quote from: pullhard on July 11, 2015, 10:55:10 PM
Have started getting a dull ache in one of my heels. Can since run fine but its a bit annoying, feels like it could do with some padding. any ideas?
Would that be on the sole of the foot or towards the back of your heel? Slightly different management required. I'd look at the potential causative factors rather than just putting in padding, better to stop the source. Padding to relieve pain in short term but not really a long term solution.

Its towards my heel. bit of a pain was due to be running today, put it off and done 20k on a spin bike instead. Didn't feel bad or great, dull ache
Sounds Achilles related so...either insertional or bursae (little fluid cushion) is irritated. Loads of calf stretching...no drops off a step though, just normal calf stretching on the flat...
Comfortable shoes/runners as much as you can..formal work shoes often have hard back that can irritate the heel as well when it's flared.

Still no sign of improvement, stretching and Ibuprofen not working there magic just yet

Bingo

You gotta love Ireland for running:

Wednesday evening run - lovely bright balmy evening to run in. Soaked in sweat but great temp to run in and very enjoyable. Land home from run and sit out back with a drink and relax with a nice stretch.
Thursday evening run - waiting for as long as possible for the lashing wind and rain to stop. Bite the bullet and head out in it, wind blowing a gale, driving rain, floods on roads, dark, muck and all sorts. Just soaked. Land home, strip at the door, load the washing machine, brush down the runners and dive into a hot shower.

Enjoyed both all the same though. Character building is the phrase they use I think!

oakleaflad

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 16, 2015, 02:07:23 PM
The key thing is you do it for enjoyment. A lot of people who start of do every session where they're busted by the end of it and this takes the enjoyment out of it. I think this is the wrong way to do it - take your runs slowly and build up your distances for a bit of time at the start to get the fitness up. Then start doing a bit of speed once you're fitter but not every run - every 2nd or 3rd one.

Something like a parkrun is a good thing to do every few weeks as having that time and that time to beat are good things for motivation. If parkruns aren't feasible then the odd race but either are really good for the motivation. Best thing about running races etc is that it's you against yourself primarily. Get your time and then aim to beat it - then it's about you and no-one else.

Once you run a few you will probably build up a rivalry with a few people which can only be good. Running rivalries tend to be friendly too!

Once you get the fitness up a bit it would help to have company for the long runs but get it there first.

What part of Derry are you in? Plenty of clubs about. Loads in the city and now a good few springing up in south derry too.
Just outside Dungiven. There honestly isn't a running club I know of nearby, would have to be Derry City, Limavady or South Derry. I'm not too bothered about joining a club though, not yet anyway.

I am going to try to do a few Park Runs firstly after a few weeks getting the fitness up. Looking at the Park Run options the closest seem to be Derry City, Limavady, Portrush and Cookstown. Has anyone tried any of these? The Portrush one seems to be run on sand which is something different.

Thanks for all the advice on here, must try to drink a bit more water throughout the day.

ballinaman

Quote from: pullhard on July 16, 2015, 02:30:05 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2015, 03:34:22 PM
Quote from: pullhard on July 13, 2015, 02:45:55 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2015, 11:29:58 AM
Quote from: pullhard on July 11, 2015, 10:55:10 PM
Have started getting a dull ache in one of my heels. Can since run fine but its a bit annoying, feels like it could do with some padding. any ideas?
Would that be on the sole of the foot or towards the back of your heel? Slightly different management required. I'd look at the potential causative factors rather than just putting in padding, better to stop the source. Padding to relieve pain in short term but not really a long term solution.

Its towards my heel. bit of a pain was due to be running today, put it off and done 20k on a spin bike instead. Didn't feel bad or great, dull ache
Sounds Achilles related so...either insertional or bursae (little fluid cushion) is irritated. Loads of calf stretching...no drops off a step though, just normal calf stretching on the flat...
Comfortable shoes/runners as much as you can..formal work shoes often have hard back that can irritate the heel as well when it's flared.

Still no sign of improvement, stretching and Ibuprofen not working there magic just yet
I'd steer clear of Ibuprofen if you can.....anti-inflammatory medication is only really useful for chronic long term inflammation. Inflammation in the short term is part of the natural healing process and by taking anti inflams can disrupt it and either cause healing rate to be slower or a weaker repair.
Paracetamol or intermittent 10 mins on/off ice for pain I'd recommend in short term.
It will take time to calm down, tendons have a small blood supply can take time and be notoriously temperamental.

gallsman

Long time cardio avoider who only does a few conditioning classes like circuits a few times a week, no endurance training done really in the last 10 years since I stopped playing. Have just finished week 1 of couch to 5k with no real difficulty and am targeting a September park run to finish it off. What would be a good target to set for an absolute beginner? Sub 30?