Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2015, 10:07:47 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 04, 2015, 07:20:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 04, 2015, 02:30:40 PM
Today was torture.

When I sat in the car afterwards I saw it was 23 degrees, so I don't feel to bad.

At lot of people were walking, particularly in the last 3 kms, which was indicative of the tough conditions. A fella I met before the race came up to me afterwards and told me he didn't finish as his friend collapsed on the beach and was out cold. They took him away in an ambulance. Hopefully it was nothing serious. His mate reckoned it was dehydration.

I took the good advice given here after the DCM last October and got up early and had an electrolyte. I had never even heard of an electrolyte, but I was very glad at the end today I took it.

Results not up yet but it was around 2 hrs 7 mins which is a long way off what I did in November. But I was very happy to finish without giving up. The thickness got me home. The last 3kms I wanted to  try to keep increasing the speed but it was torture today and I slowed badly, except of course the daft 10 metre 'sprint' at the end, in case anyone is looking, which they aren't.

Anyway, we will see how the recovery goes before any silly decisions are made.

It was fair warm alright, but i have to say, the amount of water and bananas along the route was a credit to the organisers, fininshed in 2 hours bang on, really felt the last 2k, although we were lucky the wind was at our backs all the way round until the turn for home. A great event and well organised. A swim in the sea was after was almost worth the run.

I didn't see bananas along the route. I am guessing you did Achill? I did Clontarf.

It was Achill i did alright.

muppet

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on July 09, 2015, 03:05:18 PM
Sonia breaks 2,000m WR 21 years ago today.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/0709/629354-sonia-osullivan-breaks-2000m-world-record/

5 mins 25 for 2k ffs!

Absolutely awesome. We are lucky to have witnessed her. Poetry in motion watching her run there.

magpie seanie

On a slower note - I've modified my lunchtime route to make it a 6k tempo. 1k warmup, 4k @ 5min/k and 1k warm down. My 5k PB is still 24:56 but it must be there for the taking as I covered that middle 4k in 20 mins flat today. Is that pace a little too quick for tempo or is it ok?

Getting my long run (including hills) at the weekend and one or two handy 5-7k's in as well. Wish I could get time to do more but 3 or 4 runs a week is the most I can get in.

Have a bit of an annoying stiffness in my hips after long runs and it can last a while. Any good stretches for that? I never felt it last year but I get it a lot this year. New runners maybe? It's not "sore" but I know about it.

pullhard

Have started getting a dull ache in one of my heels. Can since run fine but its a bit annoying, feels like it could do with some padding. any ideas?

magpie seanie

Did that same 12k run today on my own. Started off slowly and was feeling strong at the end, much better. Probably even a bit quick today (6:17/km) but just got into a rhythm and went with it.

Bingo

Another decent week in the bag. 35miles in total. Long run yesterday was 13miles with 8 at MP, so started with 3 easy 8min miles and then done 8 round 7.15 mile pace and finished with 3 easy.

Happy to get that in the bag. Raced a 5km on Saturday as part of the local Triathlon. Pushed out hard in this as tried to catch the brother who was doing the bike and run leg and he had just under 2min of a start on me on the run leg. Caught sight of him in last part of the run but couldn't get him. My time for the run was 17.08 but its short of the 5km (hard to get a proper distance from GPS as its round a forest), done it in 17.35m last year, so happy with improvement.

Another step up in miles this week and going to be a tight week to juggle it all in, outside of that looking forward to it.

CD

Quote from: Bingo on July 13, 2015, 10:46:38 AM
Another decent week in the bag. 35miles in total. Long run yesterday was 13miles with 8 at MP, so started with 3 easy 8min miles and then done 8 round 7.15 mile pace and finished with 3 easy.

Happy to get that in the bag. Raced a 5km on Saturday as part of the local Triathlon. Pushed out hard in this as tried to catch the brother who was doing the bike and run leg and he had just under 2min of a start on me on the run leg. Caught sight of him in last part of the run but couldn't get him. My time for the run was 17.08 but its short of the 5km (hard to get a proper distance from GPS as its round a forest), done it in 17.35m last year, so happy with improvement.

Another step up in miles this week and going to be a tight week to juggle it all in, outside of that looking forward to it.
t
that's brilliant running Bingo! 17.08 on trails is tough going! I've had a full month of nothing! Completely out of motivation for the first time in 2 years. Ran a 5k PB 5 weeks ago and didn't go again until this morning. Going to attempt a run every morning this week to get me back on the horse!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ballinaman

Quote from: pullhard on July 11, 2015, 10:55:10 PM
Have started getting a dull ache in one of my heels. Can since run fine but its a bit annoying, feels like it could do with some padding. any ideas?
Would that be on the sole of the foot or towards the back of your heel? Slightly different management required. I'd look at the potential causative factors rather than just putting in padding, better to stop the source. Padding to relieve pain in short term but not really a long term solution.

Going well Bingo, keep her lit.

Personally if it's not me arse, it's me elbow at the moment. Ran a 10k last week with not feeling well for the few days before. 17 seconds off the PB so was suprised but it was a war, felt shite from 2km onwards.
Tendons across on the ball of the foot are sore since though....will have to cool the jets for a few days. Problem is that I've said I'd run anchor leg of a half iron man triathalon this weekend......don't want to let the other 2 lads down but don't think the paw would be up to 13.1, it probably would but would be up shit creek for weeks after.  :-\

pullhard

Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2015, 11:29:58 AM
Would that be on the sole of the foot or towards the back of your heel? Slightly different management required. I'd look at the potential causative factors rather than just putting in padding, better to stop the source. Padding to relieve pain in short term but not really a long term solution.

Its towards my heel. bit of a pain was due to be running today, put it off and done 20k on a spin bike instead. Didn't feel bad or great, dull ache

ballinaman

Quote from: pullhard on July 13, 2015, 02:45:55 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 13, 2015, 11:29:58 AM

Its towards my heel. bit of a pain was due to be running today, put it off and done 20k on a spin bike instead. Didn't feel bad or great, dull ache
Sounds Achilles related so...either insertional or bursae (little fluid cushion) is irritated. Loads of calf stretching...no drops off a step though, just normal calf stretching on the flat...
Comfortable shoes/runners as much as you can..formal work shoes often have hard back that can irritate the heel as well when it's flared.

imtommygunn

Anyone here do the belfast "half" at the weekend?

There's been a hell of a storm brewing on media / social media since!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 14, 2015, 04:27:27 PM

Seems the water stations were short on water and only one medical (St John's ) centre set up.. Was talked about on the news last night
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 14, 2015, 04:27:27 PM

3 from the club went down, including one doing their first half. They raging over it. Not even water on the course, luckily one of them had a water belt and took it and they got round using it. Said it was a farce from the outset with delays to the start.

Think the organisers have form for the this and have ben outed on facebook at least - Endurance junkies or something, a husband and wife team who organise events and then just disappear after them deleting their email addresses, event pages etc.

The Rock and roll half marathon in Dublin have offered half price entry to anyone who done this as a goodwill gesture from proper event organisers.

imtommygunn

I saw that by the rock and roll guys - nice gesture.

Yeah they have form - did an event on the first of january in belfast too and apparently it wasn't too hot.

They seem a bit dubious to say the least - taking .co.uk addresses etc of big events to try and utilise the name to their advantage. Also they make lots of promises they don't deliver on.

They lifted over 20k at the weekend for that race. Lot of very unhappy so doubt they'll be running any big races for a while now.