Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 02, 2015, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 02, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 02, 2015, 02:30:29 PM
Castleblayney Park Run starting this Saturday at 9.30 at Lough Muckno. Great place to go running and will try and attend as often as possible. Will fit in well as recovery run of a Saturday morning in the run up to Berlin.
A great job is doing a 10-13 miler before hand and then finish with the parkrun on top of it with marathon pace miles. Obviously, you need to time it right but can work well!
No hassle lads, give us a PM if ye ever need any advice.

I generally just do short runs on Saturday following P&D which has a medium long run Friday (which I can fit in early or late, flexibility works great) and long run early sunday with day off on the Monday (which suits great).

The woman does a circuit class early on Saturday morning so it helps keep everyone happy  ;D

Can see how that would fit into a programme though.
Solid. Sounds like you've got a good routine so. Have you started into a specific program for Berlin yet?
I'm looking at the Jack Daniels Running formula book....no, not that Jack Daniels..they other lad. Heard it's up there with P&D in terms of results.

laoislad

I've started a half marathon programme(for the Dublin HM in September)from a book by a fella called Brad Hudson.
Ever hear of him BM? Plenty of variety in the training which I'm loving.
Found the Hal Higdon I did for the marathon very boring but this has plenty of hill training and Fartlek type runs so it's keeping me interested.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on July 02, 2015, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 02, 2015, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on July 02, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 02, 2015, 02:30:29 PM
Castleblayney Park Run starting this Saturday at 9.30 at Lough Muckno. Great place to go running and will try and attend as often as possible. Will fit in well as recovery run of a Saturday morning in the run up to Berlin.
A great job is doing a 10-13 miler before hand and then finish with the parkrun on top of it with marathon pace miles. Obviously, you need to time it right but can work well!
No hassle lads, give us a PM if ye ever need any advice.

I generally just do short runs on Saturday following P&D which has a medium long run Friday (which I can fit in early or late, flexibility works great) and long run early sunday with day off on the Monday (which suits great).

The woman does a circuit class early on Saturday morning so it helps keep everyone happy  ;D

Can see how that would fit into a programme though.
Solid. Sounds like you've got a good routine so. Have you started into a specific program for Berlin yet?
I'm looking at the Jack Daniels Running formula book....no, not that Jack Daniels..they other lad. Heard it's up there with P&D in terms of results.

Have heard of both Jack Daniels alright, I know which one i'd prefer. Have read a few things of the JD plan and its seems much more specific plan that is built for the runner by the runner based on the JDs guidelines and appears to be flexible in the weekly miles and when they are done. Anyone using it seem to prefer it V P&D as it provides more Marathon pace miles.
I would think it suits the higher end runners who are going for sickeningly impressive targets of say sub 2.40  ;)

I'm starting into the 12 week P&D plan on Monday (its a rest day  :) ). The plan builds up to 55miles from 35 miles per week and I followed it for Dublin 2013 and got the 3.21 off it. Last year I was hit and miss with it. I'm tweaking it this year as I've already got to 35miles per week each of the last 4 weeks, so in good nick on that front. Going to add in a few longer runs, it only has 2 20milers, so I plan to add more longer runs and also do more MP miles in other runs.

If you for Amsterdam, you'll likely be kicking into a plan now yourself?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on July 02, 2015, 02:54:49 PM
I've started a half marathon programme(for the Dublin HM in September)from a book by a fella called Brad Hudson.
Found the Hal Higdon I did for the marathon very boring but this has plenty of hill training and Fartlek type runs so it's keeping me interested.
No I hadn't but had a look online about him and gave him the auld follow on twitter. Seems spot on, the training at goal pace looks to be a key aspect of his methods which I agree with fully. If you're looking to break 20 minutes for 5K you need to be aiming for mile repeats in or around 6.26, 400s in 1.36s and 800s in 3.12s. Need to train the body to be able to sustain the desired pace basically.
Ya, Hal Higdon is very good to start off with, safe way to progress but once you have a year or two experience you'd need more of a stimulus to progress.

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on July 03, 2015, 10:09:09 AM
Quote from: laoislad on July 02, 2015, 02:54:49 PM
No I hadn't but had a look online about him and gave him the auld follow on twitter. Seems spot on, the training at goal pace looks to be a key aspect of his methods which I agree with fully. If you're looking to break 20 minutes for 5K you need to be aiming for mile repeats in or around 6.26, 400s in 1.36s and 800s in 3.12s. Need to train the body to be able to sustain the desired pace basically.
Ya, Hal Higdon is very good to start off with, safe way to progress but once you have a year or two experience you'd need more of a stimulus to progress.

I'll be happy to break 24mins first!!
Half Marathon plan is very good though and I can really feel myself getting a bit stronger with doing his sessions.
I suppose it's easier train when you actually start enjoying it. Higdon just has you logging mile after mile with no other type of training really to speak of.

The book is called Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon by Brad Hudson if anyone is interested in doing it.I got it on Amazon for about 8 quid.

Bingo

Fair play LL, you'll reap the benefits.

Its amazing how many people will ask you "how can you just run every day, is it not boring". I would generally say that no run/day is ever the same and its a range of different disciplines.

Variety is the spice of life  :D (except when married, then its the devil)

muppet

Today was torture.

When I sat in the car afterwards I saw it was 23 degrees, so I don't feel to bad.

At lot of people were walking, particularly in the last 3 kms, which was indicative of the tough conditions. A fella I met before the race came up to me afterwards and told me he didn't finish as his friend collapsed on the beach and was out cold. They took him away in an ambulance. Hopefully it was nothing serious. His mate reckoned it was dehydration.

I took the good advice given here after the DCM last October and got up early and had an electrolyte. I had never even heard of an electrolyte, but I was very glad at the end today I took it.

Results not up yet but it was around 2 hrs 7 mins which is a long way off what I did in November. But I was very happy to finish without giving up. The thickness got me home. The last 3kms I wanted to  try to keep increasing the speed but it was torture today and I slowed badly, except of course the daft 10 metre 'sprint' at the end, in case anyone is looking, which they aren't.

Anyway, we will see how the recovery goes before any silly decisions are made.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Fair play to you muppet and well done. The warmth is a pure killer but you used your head and got through it. That ould thickness is a great weapon. Got me going after the dry "hughie" last week.

Heading out for a long run with a friend today. Pretty hilly terrain in a woods near home but I don't know it all that well so will be great once this dude shows me the ropes. Need to push on myself now.

laoislad

Fair play muppet. I was thinking of you this morning and how warm and muggy it was to be running a half marathon.
Main thing was to finish which you did.

ballinaman

Well done muppet...torture on those conditions, we're not built for days like today in this part of the world. Fair play.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: muppet on July 04, 2015, 02:30:40 PM
Today was torture.

When I sat in the car afterwards I saw it was 23 degrees, so I don't feel to bad.

At lot of people were walking, particularly in the last 3 kms, which was indicative of the tough conditions. A fella I met before the race came up to me afterwards and told me he didn't finish as his friend collapsed on the beach and was out cold. They took him away in an ambulance. Hopefully it was nothing serious. His mate reckoned it was dehydration.

I took the good advice given here after the DCM last October and got up early and had an electrolyte. I had never even heard of an electrolyte, but I was very glad at the end today I took it.

Results not up yet but it was around 2 hrs 7 mins which is a long way off what I did in November. But I was very happy to finish without giving up. The thickness got me home. The last 3kms I wanted to  try to keep increasing the speed but it was torture today and I slowed badly, except of course the daft 10 metre 'sprint' at the end, in case anyone is looking, which they aren't.

Anyway, we will see how the recovery goes before any silly decisions are made.

It was fair warm alright, but i have to say, the amount of water and bananas along the route was a credit to the organisers, fininshed in 2 hours bang on, really felt the last 2k, although we were lucky the wind was at our backs all the way round until the turn for home. A great event and well organised. A swim in the sea was after was almost worth the run.

Bingo

Tough going today Muppet, fair play to get it done.

I good friend done it and was targeting a 1.26, as he done 1.28 in Lisburn a few weeks. It said heat and wind was brutal and he finished in 1.39, wasn't a day for heroics and he just battled round and didn't force it. Seems to be the story of the day.

laoislad

How was your first park run Bingo?

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on July 04, 2015, 09:18:19 PM
How was your first park run Bingo?

Enjoyed it. It's a testing run with a steady climb that you run twice. After that it's a flat run on trails, so not as fast as the road but decent. We had about 75 runners this morning, happy at that as was a wet morning and a lot only hearing about it now.

I was 6th home in 20.45. Had raced a 10km yesterday evening which was tight going on a hilly, hot and windy evening. Finished in 5th in that with a 41.12 time, which was quicker than planned and left legs heavy today.

The 15miler tomorrow will be very easy!  :-[