Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Actually meant to post this a few weeks ago but forgot.
A lot of you were very generous in sponsoring me for the Dublin Marathon last year.
As you know I was raising money for a new centre that was being built in Sandyford for kids with Down Syndrome.
Anyway the centre is now up and running and we are finding it a great resource for my little fella.

This is a little video they made explaining what is all about.
If you have a few mins give it a watch and see how your sponsorship money helped with getting this centre up and running.

http://youtu.be/wjPIiGEHs_o
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Class vid LL. Fair play lads on the PBs...quality, that's what it's all about. Keep enjoying it.

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on June 27, 2015, 11:29:34 PM
Class vid LL. Fair play lads on the PBs...quality, that's what it's all about. Keep enjoying it.

Nice one LL, your first post on this issue was probably the standout post in the history of this board.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Fantastic moring for the Race for Paul at Delamont park, great spot for a race and the views were brill.. fairly testing course with the winding trails and hilly climbs, very well supported and for a great cause.... love running with my daughter she finished in 28 minutes, only 11 years old and I think she has the bug
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

annapr

QuoteOn a serious high! My times is nothing special but it's special to me
Fair play seanie that's the spirit and what makes running so great.
Well done to everyone getting PBs this weekend.

magpie seanie

Thanks for the good wishes all. That race was a boost I needed and I probably needed "a race" as well. Went out today at lunchtime and did a tempo run and was absolutely hopping off the ground. Still buzzing.

magpie seanie

Saw this advertised http://wildatlanticrun.com/

Looks pretty cool. There is a 10 miler on a similar route that I meant to do last year and didn't. My main target for the year is the Warriors Run on August 22nd (15k involving up and down Knocknarea). Do you think I'd manage a half marathon 3 weeks later? Bear in mind I've never done one before.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 01, 2015, 04:25:06 PM

Looks pretty cool. There is a 10 miler on a similar route that I meant to do last year and didn't. My main target for the year is the Warriors Run on August 22nd (15k involving up and down Knocknarea). Do you think I'd manage a half marathon 3 weeks later? Bear in mind I've never done one before.

If I was looking to push on (and your recent PB and run would suggest you can, well done on that by the way), I'd target the half marathon with the Warriors Run as the tune up race as such. If you target the half, you can build up the mileage in the weekly long run, this will held the warrior run as well. This will then serve as a great last big hard session before the half.

3 weeks to then recover and get ready for it is loads.

The half won't be easy but would be great to push for it when you in shape for it. If you even only add one a mile per week on your long run, you'll be ready.

In my own experience going from run 10km to a half is the easier step to make of them all when down right i.e. settle into a fair pace and gradually build the mileage as you are well on the way with endurance and its not a very fast pace to build on.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 01, 2015, 04:58:18 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 01, 2015, 04:25:06 PM

If I was looking to push on (and your recent PB and run would suggest you can, well done on that by the way), I'd target the half marathon with the Warriors Run as the tune up race as such. If you target the half, you can build up the mileage in the weekly long run, this will held the warrior run as well. This will then serve as a great last big hard session before the half.

3 weeks to then recover and get ready for it is loads.

The half won't be easy but would be great to push for it when you in shape for it. If you even only add one a mile per week on your long run, you'll be ready.

In my own experience going from run 10km to a half is the easier step to make of them all when down right i.e. settle into a fair pace and gradually build the mileage as you are well on the way with endurance and its not a very fast pace to build on.
That half looks quality, would have love to have done it but i know for a fact I'm away that weekend.
I'd echo what Bingo said as using the warriors as prep for the half. Obviously give the warriors a right lash as it's your local race but know that no matter how you'll do in it....it'll bring you on for the half marathon. 3 weeks in loads, easy running for a week after warriors....train well for 10 days and then taper for 3-4 days before the half marathon.

I've a 10km....a half marathon and another 10km before the end of this month. That'll be me done with racing I'd say until Amsterdam marathon on October 18th. Need to knuckle down with training, hopefully get the toe on the line in one piece this time...going to target a sub 2.40....it's 6.06 per mile...it'll take a huge effort but willing to give it a shot. No sandbagging, aim high and see what happens.

No1

As promised here are the details for the Strangford Festival 10k which takes place Saturday 29th August.

It would be fantastic if some of you could make it.  Cash prizes, goody bag, technical t-shirt and a great spread afterwards. Sure why would you not?!

http://www.athleticsni.org/Fixtures/Strangford-Festival-10K

On another note, big thanks to ballinaman for all his great advice and help. Back out running and started the training schedule for this years big race. I can't recommend the man highly enough!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on July 01, 2015, 10:08:24 PM
As promised here are the details for the Strangford Festival 10k which takes place Saturday 29th August.

It would be fantastic if some of you could make it.  Cash prizes, goody bag, technical t-shirt and a great spread afterwards. Sure why would you not?!

On another note, big thanks to ballinaman for all his great advice and help. Back out running and started the training schedule for this years big race. I can't recommend the man highly enough!

Would echo what you've said about ballinaman, always excellent advice on running but his knowledge on sports injuries is top notch.. Thanks again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 02, 2015, 12:07:53 AM
Quote from: No1 on July 01, 2015, 10:08:24 PM

Would echo what you've said about ballinaman, always excellent advice on running but his knowledge on sports injuries is top notch.. Thanks again

I'd just like to add to that. The advice he has given me has really helped me kick on. He knows his stuff and is incredibly generous with sharing his knowledge. Thanks again Ballinaman. Thanks also to the other here who have also given me brilliant advice and support.

Bingo

Castleblayney Park Run starting this Saturday at 9.30 at Lough Muckno. Great place to go running and will try and attend as often as possible. Will fit in well as recovery run of a Saturday morning in the run up to Berlin.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on July 02, 2015, 02:30:29 PM
Castleblayney Park Run starting this Saturday at 9.30 at Lough Muckno. Great place to go running and will try and attend as often as possible. Will fit in well as recovery run of a Saturday morning in the run up to Berlin.
A great job is doing a 10-13 miler before hand and then finish with the parkrun on top of it with marathon pace miles. Obviously, you need to time it right but can work well!
No hassle lads, give us a PM if ye ever need any advice.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on July 02, 2015, 02:33:03 PM
Quote from: Bingo on July 02, 2015, 02:30:29 PM
A great job is doing a 10-13 miler before hand and then finish with the parkrun on top of it with marathon pace miles. Obviously, you need to time it right but can work well!
No hassle lads, give us a PM if ye ever need any advice.

I generally just do short runs on Saturday following P&D which has a medium long run Friday (which I can fit in early or late, flexibility works great) and long run early sunday with day off on the Monday (which suits great).

The woman does a circuit class early on Saturday morning so it helps keep everyone happy  ;D

Can see how that would fit into a programme though.