Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

No1, I see details are out for this years Strangford 10k - it was the last organised run I made, missed 1 because of injury and another because of football, parkrun a couple of weeks ago is the only group run I have done since last August, will give this a rattle again this year I'd say, hopefully get the 45min this year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 23, 2015, 02:37:11 PM
No1, I see details are out for this years Strangford 10k - it was the last organised run I made, missed 1 because of injury and another because of football, parkrun a couple of weeks ago is the only group run I have done since last August, will give this a rattle again this year I'd say, hopefully get the 45min this year.

Have you done the Sea to Sky race in Newcastle before? Its on the friday the 17th 10k trail and road race?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lfdown2

had looked at it alright - you for doing it?

pullhard

I've got an idea in my head about combining running and a holiday, just wanting to see if its a go-er because presenting it to HQ.

So next year I was thinking about signing up to a marathon somewhere nice Seville, Bilbao, Rome (Ideally I'd like to do smaller races and entry not to cost an arm and leg.) adding a few days each side and making into a family holiday. Has anyone done anything similar? how it go down with the family?

annapr

I like the sound of that idea pullhard.
I'd say Rome would be lovely.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 23, 2015, 04:10:20 PM

Yeah but it would be as tough heading up as it would be heading down!!

doing a race this Sunday, friend of mine has been battling with 2 types of cancer and hasn't beat it yet, on top of that he's also caught and fighting a new disease in his lungs. He needs to go to London to be treated as early as possible. This new procedure is a revolutionary form of laser treatment which is very effective but not yet available on the NHS.

hope this event will help raise £10,000 to send Paul to London for surgery because it is not treatable by conventional means. up to 400 doing so far at Heron's Nest, Delamont Country Park for a 10 am start... 5 and 10k runs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Yeah we are running it again this year, totally new route as The National Trust wouldn't play ball. New route goes right past your in laws front door! I'll post up the online entry link when Athletics NI correct the details I provided them with! Aiming to go bigger and better this year so any suggested improvements would be most welcome.

MR, that's super numbers for the Delamont race. Hope it's a great success, super spot for a race and very worthy cause. Unfortunately I have a prior engagement.

Anyone for the Loughinisland 5 miler tomorrow night? Haven't done it in years but from what I remember it's hilly as f**k!!

lfdown2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 23, 2015, 04:46:00 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on June 23, 2015, 04:10:20 PM

Yeah but it would be as tough heading up as it would be heading down!!

doing a race this Sunday, friend of mine has been battling with 2 types of cancer and hasn't beat it yet, on top of that he's also caught and fighting a new disease in his lungs. He needs to go to London to be treated as early as possible. This new procedure is a revolutionary form of laser treatment which is very effective but not yet available on the NHS.

hope this event will help raise £10,000 to send Paul to London for surgery because it is not treatable by conventional means. up to 400 doing so far at Heron's Nest, Delamont Country Park for a 10 am start... 5 and 10k runs

Seen the flyer for the race for Paul (I think) in Delamont alright - unfortunately we have a game Sumday so couldn't do it, hope it goes well!

Quote from: No1 on June 23, 2015, 11:06:45 PM

Yeah we are running it again this year, totally new route as The National Trust wouldn't play ball. New route goes right past your in laws front door! I'll post up the online entry link when Athletics NI correct the details I provided them with! Aiming to go bigger and better this year so any suggested improvements would be most welcome.

MR, that's super numbers for the Delamont race. Hope it's a great success, super spot for a race and very worthy cause. Unfortunately I have a prior engagement.

Anyone for the Loughinisland 5 miler tomorrow night? Haven't done it in years but from what I remember it's hilly as f**k!!

Top of Blackcauseway and over to Shore Road? I thought it went well last year and to be honest it will probably be easier to marshal on the roads with less needed I would have thought

No1

Right at the top of Blackcauseway, past Cargagh chapel, out at Ballyculter, down the Doctor's Hill and finish at The Quay.  Wee buns!! Tested the other way but it was half a mile too long. I'll post the details up ASAP.

laoislad

Irish Runner 5 mile today, great event as always. Over 4000 runners I heard.
New PB by about 2mins for me so happy with that.
Them hills in the second half of the race are brutal though!

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 27, 2015, 07:33:53 PM

Good man Laoislad, it was warm this morning.

Just did a parkrun and while it was a poor time, I enjoyed it and was happy enough. I've had a very good week in terms of miles run so I am pleased with my progress towards next week which is...... Clontarf 1/2 and I won't beat my time from last November but I still hope to be around the 2 hour mark.

Going ok at the moment.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on June 27, 2015, 09:42:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 27, 2015, 07:33:53 PM

Good man Laoislad, it was warm this morning.

Just did a parkrun and while it was a poor time, I enjoyed it and was happy enough. I've had a very good week in terms of miles run so I am pleased with my progress towards next week which is...... Clontarf 1/2 and I won't beat my time from last November but I still hope to be around the 2 hour mark.

Going ok at the moment.

Well done lads and especially LL on the PB. Had my home 10k this evening (finish line is about 30 metres from my parents house) and ran a PB myself so pretty chuffed. It was my first race of the year but training has been going ok. We had pacers in it and they are just invaluable. Fell away from the pacer group with 2.5k to go as my stomach had a go at me (objected to the duress I was putting myself under!!!) but quickly got going again and ground out the last bit, just kept the pacer in view. Muggy conditions were not optimal so confident I can go quicker some time soon. On a serious high! My times is nothing special but it's special to me. The good days with this running craic are bloody great.

laoislad

Well done on PB and I also find the pacers great seanie. There wasn't any today and I ran with my watch set only to distance so didn't know how fast/slow I was going.
First mile was 2 minutes faster than last mile but I put that down to the final hill which is a killer.
You're so right though seanie the good days with the running are fantastic. Felt great today when I crossed the line even though my stomach also attempted to hamper my progress with a mile to go!

Best of luck with 1/2 muppet. I plan on doing the November leg of the Clontarf half.
Doing the 10mile and 1/2 of the Dublin race series first in August and September.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Fionnuala Britton's sister ran the race and plenty of pretty good runners there too. It's a pretty fast course though for a mere mortal like myself a succession of short sharp hills over the second half of the course rally test you. I'm sue the elite folks just blast through them. Winner ran 32 odd which is just insane in my eyes.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on June 27, 2015, 10:41:09 PM
Well done on PB and I also find the pacers great seanie. There wasn't any today and I ran with my watch set only to distance so didn't know how fast/slow I was going.
First mile was 2 minutes faster than last mile but I put that down to the final hill which is a killer.
You're so right thought seanie the good days with the running are fantastic. Felt great today when I crossed the line even though my stomach also attempted to hamper my progress with a mile to go!

Best of luck with 1/2 muppet. I plan on doing the November leg of the Clontarf half.
Doing the 10mile and 1/2 of the Dublin race series first in August and September.

Congrats to both of you not he PBs. Very rewarding feeling that, one that I haven't felt for 7 months, but it will come back.

I can't make two of those marathon series runs, one due to a small dispute with Seanie & co in the Connacht Final on the 19th, and the other I am working for.

Clontarf is slightly chaotic (which was no harm to me) at the start as the roads aren't closed, but it is good fun and very, very flat.
MWWSI 2017