Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 17, 2015, 05:59:21 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 17, 2015, 05:18:35 PM
Pullhard,

that looks fine to me. I'd build up the Tempo and Interval/Hills running over the weeks and not go too hard on those first few weeks. They say that fatigue when running can take 2 weeks to appear, so while you could feel great initially, it would affect training further down the while. The same as they say fitness takes 2 weeks before it benefits.

You've a right base anyway from the Half done (great time), so ease into it after this and ensure you are fresh. Personally, I like a rest day after the long run day and go for a swim/sauna/Jacuzzi etc on this day, does be bliss  ;D

Good luck to anyone heading to Lisburn this evening. Good few from the club heading up to it but just too hard for me to get away during the week.

Here now in Lisburn, serious crowd here, unusually hot and sticky for this country/time of year
why do they have it on a wednesday night? would a weekend not draw an even bigger crowd? would have done it myself if it had been at the weekend, during the week doesnt suit with work etc. sticky night for it!
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 17, 2015, 07:40:44 PM
Pullhard,

that looks fine to me. I'd build up the Tempo and Interval/Hills running over the weeks and not go too hard on those first few weeks. They say that fatigue when running can take 2 weeks to appear, so while you could feel great initially, it would affect training further down the while. The same as they say fitness takes 2 weeks before it benefits.

You've a right base anyway from the Half done (great time), so ease into it after this and ensure you are fresh. Personally, I like a rest day after the long run day and go for a swim/sauna/Jacuzzi etc on this day, does be bliss  ;D

Good luck to anyone heading to Lisburn this evening. Good few from the club heading up to it but just too hard for me to get away during the week.

Here now in Lisburn, serious crowd here, unusually hot and sticky for this country/time of year
why do they have it on a wednesday night? would a weekend not draw an even bigger crowd? would have done it myself if it had been at the weekend, during the week doesnt suit with work etc. sticky night for it!

Don't know why they have it on a Wednesday but its very well supported with top runners in both distances (blue ribbon event), 43 minutes forme tonight, hard to gauge it if truth be told, got bit lazy around the 3 mile mark and needed to have a crap for last 2 miles! at one point I thought I was going to have to hit the bushes... Very windy two... Can't complain though have ran that distance only once this year , been sticking to 5 ks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 17, 2015, 09:20:54 PM
Pullhard,

Don't know why they have it on a Wednesday but its very well supported with top runners in both distances (blue ribbon event), 43 minutes forme tonight, hard to gauge it if truth be told, got bit lazy around the 3 mile mark and needed to have a crap for last 2 miles! at one point I thought I was going to have to hit the bushes... Very windy two... Can't complain though have ran that distance only once this year , been sticking to 5 ks

Any links to results? Reports that a lot didn't even make the start due to traffic delays. Haven't heard from any of the local ones who went down.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on June 17, 2015, 10:45:12 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 17, 2015, 09:20:54 PM
Pullhard,

Any links to results? Reports that a lot didn't even make the start due to traffic delays. Haven't heard from any of the local ones who went down.

Traffic was pretty bad...  Haven't seen results... I did notice lads running up after race started
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Results are up on Championchip. Seems very big numbers doing both races.

Rois

Couldn't go to Lisburn.

Two guys in work were running - one got stuck in traffic and had to dump the car and run a mile to the start.  Really upset his run (half marathon) as he didn't get time to do normal preps (including toilet).

The other guy doing the 10k was there in plenty of time, but one part of the website had said the 10k was starting at 7.10, so he didn't make his way down to the start til about 7.05 and there was no one there.  No announcements or anything that the 10k was about to begin.  Probably a little naïve on his part but it was his first 10k and he came away feeling like it was a total shambles.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on June 18, 2015, 10:33:02 AM
Couldn't go to Lisburn.

Two guys in work were running - one got stuck in traffic and had to dump the car and run a mile to the start.  Really upset his run (half marathon) as he didn't get time to do normal preps (including toilet).

The other guy doing the 10k was there in plenty of time, but one part of the website had said the 10k was starting at 7.10, so he didn't make his way down to the start til about 7.05 and there was no one there.  No announcements or anything that the 10k was about to begin.  Probably a little naïve on his part but it was his first 10k and he came away feeling like it was a total shambles.

It did start a few minutes early for sure, I was told 7.10 for the 10k and 6.30 for the half...... but was in Dublin so was up early enough and had time to stretch and do a we run before the start..... had toliet issues half way round but just pushed on!!! 

Traffic seemed really bad in all directions into Lisburn... 1700 odds ran the 10k I think but as a race it was pretty perfect some wind in parts and overcast but couldn't really complain... first few miles done in around 6.48m 6.50. 6.46m but then I tailed off pace for a bit until i checked watch and had to lift pace up again, zapps your energy when doing that so if I could be consistent pace wise I'd be able to knock off more seconds at the end

imtommygunn

Lisburn's always really busy so you need to leave loads of time. It's not really a big enough place to facilitate about 4k people running plus spectators etc without a few issues.

Results are up. Good result for McDermott in the 10k to beat Hamilton and I'm sure those front runners are cursing Freddy Sittuk for not having went home yet lol. Especially as there would be decent prize money in this one.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2015, 10:55:45 AM
Lisburn's always really busy so you need to leave loads of time. It's not really a big enough place to facilitate about 4k people running plus spectators etc without a few issues.

Results are up. Good result for McDermott in the 10k to beat Hamilton and I'm sure those front runners are cursing Freddy Sittuk for not having went home yet lol. Especially as there would be decent prize money in this one.

31 minutes is fecking silly times at this level surely?

imtommygunn

Hamilton is one of the top guys about and McDermott is starting to come good as well - Irish u23 international at XC.

There are a few guys about who would give them a run for their money too.

There's a decent pay cheque out of Lisburn if you're in the top few!

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 18, 2015, 11:00:55 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2015, 10:55:45 AM

31 minutes is fecking silly times at this level surely?
It's fairly hot alright, 31 minutes would put you in the top 20-30 in Ireland depending on who turns up I'd reckon.
Freddy is some man, fair play to him. He'll prob do the Achill half in a few weeks...he's won it the last 2 years.

Not a fan of different distances within the same race....leads to problems with stewarding,people going wrong and missing the start, which Rois said happened last night. Did a half in London in Feb with a 10km, and even though it was organised by a serious club...they got it arseways.
Should be a single distance and that's it.

Bingo

Going on early reports, it seems the numbers are just too big for a midweek race with 3 distances - a lot locals and youngers runs there for a short fun run.

Water ran out at last water station on half course, 10km started early, massive parking issues and getting into Lisburn off motorway.

Then the usual issues - half runners weaving through 10km, run of out medals and food at end as well.

Hopefully they can address these, as it seems to be a great event and attracts a great range of runners.

imtommygunn

I think it's one of those races where they lift loads of money and aren't too bothered Bingo just like belfast marathon...

They do seem to change the half course year to year though to be fair.

Last time I did I found weaving through the back of the half field a real pain in the arse particularly when some of them would stop dead in front of you with no consideration.

Hamilton has a sub 30 on the track.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2015, 11:05:48 AM
Hamilton is one of the top guys about and McDermott is starting to come good as well - Irish u23 international at XC.

There are a few guys about who would give them a run for their money too.

There's a decent pay cheque out of Lisburn if you're in the top few!

I stayed with them till the claxton went off and they went on ahead so I didn't push myself as I wasn't going to get a place!! Plenty bananas at the end and water... but I left course after the the 10k race so could have been no food left.... oh and another thing is was about 300 yards further I think so I would have dipped into 42 mins... must check my Garmin and see

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 18, 2015, 11:17:04 AM
I think it's one of those races where they lift loads of money and aren't too bothered Bingo just like belfast marathon...

They do seem to change the half course year to year though to be fair.

Last time I did I found weaving through the back of the half field a real pain in the arse particularly when some of them would stop dead in front of you with no consideration.

Hamilton has a sub 30 on the track.

Very true Imtommygunn, a few I talked to compared it Omagh and said there is no comparison in terms of how Omagh push the boat out at the finish and along the course. Having done Omagh, I'd agree with this, excellent race run by a running club (even if I didn't enjoy the actual run that day but that was just me having a slugfest round it).

Hamilton is running really well this year. He didn't seem to race much last year? The previous December 2013, he won our 5km at his ease and I was looking out for him last year but didn't see him feature much. Was he injured or not racing?