Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on June 05, 2015, 01:43:17 PM
Been around Marlay a good few times, first time doing their park run though.

I see Kilkenny have a park run now also, gonna be down home in a few weekends time and will do it.
Should be nice as its in the Castle grounds.
Park run is great really considering it's free.

They're really good - enjoy Marlay

Dubh driocht

http://www.tinyrunner.org.uk/an-open-letter-to-parkrun-volunteers

Parkruns- only second to the Ulster championship as the best thing ever

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 06, 2015, 01:01:45 PM
http://www.tinyrunner.org.uk/an-open-letter-to-parkrun-volunteers

Parkruns- only second to the Ulster championship as the best thing ever

Was at waterworks today again... Running with my daughter who is well and truly hooked!! The volunteers are super and full credit to them....must have been over 250 today
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

heffo

It was a windy one this morning for the Parkrun in Dublin!

laoislad

How'd you do? Didn't make Marlay myself,the youngest was up all night teething so I was like a boiled shite this morning. Didn't feel like running anywhere!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on June 06, 2015, 09:35:24 PM
How'd you do? Didn't make Marlay myself,the youngest was up all night teething so I was like a boiled shite this morning. Didn't feel like running anywhere!

Went to Marlay in the end, was late arriving and went to the old start point so went for a run and met the group half way around. Didn't feel great and came in under 24 - was hoping for 22 or maybe lower. I finished a km short of 5km at the finish line so did a lap or two of the soccer pitch - not a vintage day!

lfdown2

heading to Westport for the weekend, planning on doing parkrun, looking forward to it, as I say with no local parkrun I haven't done one since we moved home last August

pullhard

Done my first half marathon at the weekend, please enough with the time, 1.40. Only started training around 6 weeks before. Feel there is room for improvement, need to get an event in for July considering a sprint Tri or another half.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: pullhard on June 16, 2015, 11:40:16 AM
Done my first half marathon at the weekend, please enough with the time, 1.40. Only started training around 6 weeks before. Feel there is room for improvement, need to get an event in for July considering a sprint Tri or another half.

Must be fairly fit to do that in 1.40 smashing time.. Lisburn half on tomorrow night (probably too soon) loads of sprint tri events around the country http://www.triathlonireland.com/ best site to check out the events and register...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Did a 1.41 half at the weekend. Not bad but was hoping for a sub 1:40 but ran a 15k race 6 days before and did it harder than I had intended and hadn t recovered.

Got up at 5:30 and drove to the event. On the way home I was so sleepy I had to pull over and snooze. I was terrified but it was too dangerous to pull up on the hard shoulder of the N17. I thought I d never get off the road without killing myself and others. I just couldn t stop nodding off. Eventually I got off the N17 and parked up and shut my eyes. I was woken up when the missus rang wondering was I nearly home. I may only have dozed for 5/10 mins but was A1 again and wide awake the rest of the way.

This is not the first time this has happened to me after an event and I doubt if I'm alone. I remember a runner was killed in a crash a few years ago returning from an ultra marathon and I ve often wondered about the cause. No other vehicle involved.

I ve never come across any warnings or advice about the dangers of falling asleep while driving after an event.

I don t drink coffee usually but going to have to do something to stop this happening again. Last summer I actually did nod off and was lucky somebody woke me up with car horn.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: moysider on June 16, 2015, 06:11:22 PM
Did a 1.41 half at the weekend. Not bad but was hoping for a sub 1:40 but ran a 15k race 6 days before and did it harder than I had intended and hadn t recovered.

Got up at 5:30 and drove to the event. On the way home I was so sleepy I had to pull over and snooze. I was terrified but it was too dangerous to pull up on the hard shoulder of the N17. I thought I d never get off the road without killing myself and others. I just couldn t stop nodding off. Eventually I got off the N17 and parked up and shut my eyes. I was woken up when the missus rang wondering was I nearly home. I may only have dozed for 5/10 mins but was A1 again and wide awake the rest of the way.

This is not the first time this has happened to me after an event and I doubt if I'm alone. I remember a runner was killed in a crash a few years ago returning from an ultra marathon and I ve often wondered about the cause. No other vehicle involved.

I ve never come across any warnings or advice about the dangers of falling asleep while driving after an event.

I don t drink coffee usually but going to have to do something to stop this happening again. Last summer I actually did nod off and was lucky somebody woke me up with car horn.

Nightmare, I'm a bit like that also but just in general, If i drive 60 miles I generally want to have a doze, any of the big events I've done my family usually there so she drives home.. If not I've had a tin of red bull to get me past that hump

pullhard

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2015, 04:28:49 PM
Quote from: pullhard on June 16, 2015, 11:40:16 AM

Must be fairly fit to do that in 1.40 smashing time.. Lisburn half on tomorrow night (probably too soon) loads of sprint tri events around the country http://www.triathlonireland.com/ best site to check out the events and register...

Cheers lads, im over the other side of the water. done a few Parkruns then fired myself into training.
Look forward and concerned at the Tri, swimming isn't a strong point, but if i don't die i should make up plenty of ground on the bike and run. There expense to do £55 for the one in liverpool.

I've had a fatty recovery week so far going to get out for 4/5 miles gentle tomorrow to get the legs going again.

I've 8/9kgs over fighting really need to lose this as its killing my times.

Thinking of doing this for a training plan for the coming weeks:
m - 4/5 gentle
t - tempo run
wed - off
th - intervals or hills
fri - gentle 4/5
sat - off
sun - long gentle 13-15 mile

what do you think?

Bingo

Pullhard,

that looks fine to me. I'd build up the Tempo and Interval/Hills running over the weeks and not go too hard on those first few weeks. They say that fatigue when running can take 2 weeks to appear, so while you could feel great initially, it would affect training further down the while. The same as they say fitness takes 2 weeks before it benefits.

You've a right base anyway from the Half done (great time), so ease into it after this and ensure you are fresh. Personally, I like a rest day after the long run day and go for a swim/sauna/Jacuzzi etc on this day, does be bliss  ;D

Good luck to anyone heading to Lisburn this evening. Good few from the club heading up to it but just too hard for me to get away during the week.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bingo on June 17, 2015, 05:18:35 PM
Pullhard,

that looks fine to me. I'd build up the Tempo and Interval/Hills running over the weeks and not go too hard on those first few weeks. They say that fatigue when running can take 2 weeks to appear, so while you could feel great initially, it would affect training further down the while. The same as they say fitness takes 2 weeks before it benefits.

You've a right base anyway from the Half done (great time), so ease into it after this and ensure you are fresh. Personally, I like a rest day after the long run day and go for a swim/sauna/Jacuzzi etc on this day, does be bliss  ;D

Good luck to anyone heading to Lisburn this evening. Good few from the club heading up to it but just too hard for me to get away during the week.

Here now in Lisburn, serious crowd here, unusually hot and sticky for this country/time of year

charlieTully

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 17, 2015, 05:59:21 PM
Quote from: Bingo on June 17, 2015, 05:18:35 PM
Pullhard,

Here now in Lisburn, serious crowd here, unusually hot and sticky for this country/time of year

best of luck with it.