Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 25, 2015, 10:28:25 AM
Got out yesterday and did my first organised run in over a year (apart from a single parkrun back in Feb) - the 12km HBF run for a reason in Perth.

Hadn't managed much in the way of preparation so was running just to finish, though over 1:10 would have been a disappointment.

Did 2 x 9.3km runs last week as prep, and ended up hobbling home the last 2km from the second one with a blister. Put a plaster on it the day of the race ad it was grand.

Managed to do it in 1:07:28, so happy with that. Hopefully use that as a springboard to do my first official half marathon on 30th August

Good man, that is a minute of my time for 12k at the moment. But it is coming down slowly. Did a slow 10 miles last week along with a 6k and an 11k. Finally getting back into the swing of things.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Good man muppet. Still plenty of time to register for Dublin..... ;)

I'm gonna do my first park run of the year next weekend.
Have been doing a good bit of interval training and hills the last few weeks so hoping for a good time.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2015, 04:23:02 PM

Have been doing a good bit of interval training and hills the last few weeks so hoping for a good time.

You ran 24 something last year, didn't you?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 25, 2015, 05:17:55 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2015, 04:23:02 PM

You ran 24 something last year, didn't you?
24'00 in middle of Marathon training. Hoping to get near enough that on Saturday and work on getting it down over summer.
Apart from doing couch to 5k I haven't really ever done any 5k training to get my times down.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Just run faster
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Went out and did my first 10k at race pace in a long time. I know the fitness is generally good and I've done some good tempo runs recently so was hopeful of a decent time (for me - I'm targeting sub 55 mins). Probably went a bit hard at the start over the easier part of the course (3 miles in 26 mins dead) and the succession of small hills in the second half blew me up (ended up well over 57 mins for 10k). How much of this was going to hard at the start and how much was me needing the longer run at a stiffer pace?

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2015, 07:30:29 PM
Went out and did my first 10k at race pace in a long time. I know the fitness is generally good and I've done some good tempo runs recently so was hopeful of a decent time (for me - I'm targeting sub 55 mins). Probably went a bit hard at the start over the easier part of the course (3 miles in 26 mins dead) and the succession of small hills in the second half blew me up (ended up well over 57 mins for 10k). How much of this was going to hard at the start and how much was me needing the longer run at a stiffer pace?
Biteen of both I would say.
Quick start would have had your energy stores reduced early and would have had you running longer depleted, combined with a tougher route on 2nd half of course....recipe for running out of gas if ever there was one.
No harm though, would have been a good session anyway as you were working and you'll be better for it.
Few easy days now to allow muscle adaptions to kick in and go hard again maybe Thursday/Friday if you get the chance.

CD

You're Always a fountain of great advice Ballinaman! I have what I've been told is fluid in my left Achilles. It's more uncomfortable than anything else but I've recently been doing 7/8 miles on a Saturday morning and then finishing off with a park run at about 20 minute pace and I've been getting the odd sharp pain the following day. My plan is to do a half marathon or two in June/July then prepare for Dublin again. Any advice on managing this injury? Also - was hoping to do Achill Island half - would it be a bit sore on a achilles injury?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

annapr

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2015, 05:44:52 PM
Just run faster
You should have told the Antrim hurlers to Just play better yesterday and maybe they might have won.
Lol ( as you would say yourself)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: annapr on May 25, 2015, 08:19:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 25, 2015, 05:44:52 PM
Just run faster
You should have told the Antrim hurlers to Just play better yesterday and maybe they might have won.
Lol ( as you would say yourself)

They are playing shite, whether they ran quicker would not make any difference numbnuts ;D....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

annapr

I never mentioned running quicker numbnuts....

ballinaman

Quote from: CD on May 25, 2015, 08:02:29 PM
You're Always a fountain of great advice Ballinaman! I have what I've been told is fluid in my left Achilles. It's more uncomfortable than anything else but I've recently been doing 7/8 miles on a Saturday morning and then finishing off with a park run at about 20 minute pace and I've been getting the odd sharp pain the following day. My plan is to do a half marathon or two in June/July then prepare for Dublin again. Any advice on managing this injury? Also - was hoping to do Achill Island half - would it be a bit sore on a achilles injury?
Achilles management depends on the location hugely....if it's mid portional or insertional achilles........mid would be in the bit that you can grab between your fingers and insertional would be right onto the heel bone.

You need range at the ankle joint by doing these....measure distance from big toe to wall that you can touch your knee WITHOUT heel coming off the ground. Normal values are 8cm -12cm....should try at least get 8cm of a gap. If there is a difference of more than 3cm between ankles...it's risk factor for lower limb injury. Good thing for everyone to check really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGjJkurZlGw

If the achilles pain is insertional...ie, onto the bone...avoid dropping heels down off a step to stretch, only compresses the tendon more and will make you worse not better!

My advice would be to get on top of it now and not let it develop...tendinopathies...either in the shoulder, patella or achilles are tricky to manage if they become chronic.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: annapr on May 25, 2015, 08:38:23 PM
I never mentioned running quicker numbnuts....

Its a running thread, if you want to have a discussion on hurling and Antrim's terrible form then yes we'll chat

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on May 25, 2015, 07:40:16 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 25, 2015, 07:30:29 PM
Biteen of both I would say.
Quick start would have had your energy stores reduced early and would have had you running longer depleted, combined with a tougher route on 2nd half of course....recipe for running out of gas if ever there was one.
No harm though, would have been a good session anyway as you were working and you'll be better for it.
Few easy days now to allow muscle adaptions to kick in and go hard again maybe Thursday/Friday if you get the chance.

Thanks Ballinaman. I've been following your advice and trying to aim for the sessions you outlined previously and the results have been good. I'll try and do a couple of light sessions and then a good blaster again late in the week. Finding it difficult to get the time to fit the runs in. Used to get a couple done at lunchtime but renovations in work = no showers for the foreseeable so it's early morning or late night. Still - should top 100k this month for the first time ever and enjoying it.

Milltown Row2

Lisburn city half and 10K races coming up soon, anyone doing them? CD, Rios?? Going to do the 10k...42mins target