Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Was shown that wee trick a few years back in one of the AmphianKing stores in Dublin.

Very useful and your foot defo feels like a tighter fit with it done. Can easily over tighten it as well on the bridge of your foot as well, so make sure to avoid this.

No1

Been carrying a niggly calf/achilles for the last month and tried to run through the pain but today I think I've strained or pulled the calf quite badly. About 4 mile into the run felt a sharp extremely sore pain in the calf and had to stop completely and limped all the way home.

Still very sore now. I'm about to book a physio appointment but I thought I'd see if anyone on this thread had any advice? Already paid for the Lisburn Half in mid June!

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: No1 on May 14, 2015, 07:41:56 PM
Been carrying a niggly calf/achilles for the last month and tried to run through the pain but today I think I've strained or pulled the calf quite badly. About 4 mile into the run felt a sharp extremely sore pain in the calf and had to stop completely and limped all the way home.

Still very sore now. I'm about to book a physio appointment but I thought I'd see if anyone on this thread had any advice? Already paid for the Lisburn Half in mid June!

unfortunately only complete rest will fix it.

it took me a month to recover the last time i did it.

lisburn will be touch and go imo

imtommygunn

Quote from: No1 on May 14, 2015, 07:41:56 PM

Ice it for a day or two then stretch it after that few days is up. If you're limping you probably have a bit of recovery time...

Bingo

Had planned a crack at 10km sub40m tomorrow but for 2nd time in a month I'll miss out on it (incidently on the same course, which is very flat). Haven't laced a runner since Friday after been laid down most of the week with some virus or infection for the second time in a month.

Gonna rest up for the week and then ease back into it.

laoislad

Found a interval session online called the 'Gut Buster'  ;D
Gonna try it tonight.

4x 400
4x 800
2x 1600

1 min rest between each rep 2 min rest between each set.
http://youtu.be/lSPNQ82Sq4E
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

How about Haille's intervals LL...

50 x 400m at 63 secs with thirty secs rest

Easy!!

Milltown Row2

Took family over to park run at waterworks today, splendid if not just a bit windy in parts... Managed first in my age group!! 14th over all over 200 odd runners I think!! 20.28. !! Whoop
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2015, 01:32:24 PM
Took family over to park run at waterworks today, splendid if not just a bit windy in parts... Managed first in my age group!! 14th over all over 200 odd runners I think!! 20.28. !! Whoop
Super running MR! You aiming for Lisburn?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on May 16, 2015, 09:10:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2015, 01:32:24 PM
Super running MR! You aiming for Lisburn?
Did it last year, believe they have changed route... Was I interested in 10k for lisburn.. Doubt I could beat last years time of 1.38 as haven't been out on roads over ant big distances
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Never beat the deeler

Got out yesterday and did my first organised run in over a year (apart from a single parkrun back in Feb) - the 12km HBF run for a reason in Perth.

Hadn't managed much in the way of preparation so was running just to finish, though over 1:10 would have been a disappointment.

Did 2 x 9.3km runs last week as prep, and ended up hobbling home the last 2km from the second one with a blister. Put a plaster on it the day of the race ad it was grand.

Managed to do it in 1:07:28, so happy with that. Hopefully use that as a springboard to do my first official half marathon on 30th August
Hasta la victoria siempre

screenexile

Started back this week with an hour 10k and 22m parkrun on Saturday. I'm hoping to do a half marathon in August but I had real trouble with the 10k on my knees and I'm still sore after the Park run.

Do any of you know if its advisable\possible to run the longer distances having had ACL operations on both legs? I haven't started training properly yet and would love to get stuck in but not if I'm going to be crippled!!

50fiftyball

Anyone had "hip impingement" (FAI). Been plaguing me as last 6 months any time I do heavy running at training eg: sprints & sharp turns/twists, as well as sprints on my own on treadmill, 400m runs etc.

Physio has given hip mobility programme, which I've been doing 3-4 times a week , but it only warms the joint up, giving it a better range of motion again. After a game or training its back to square one and I'm limping... and now its spread into the groin.

Could this be symptoms of a hernia or has anyone had this?

ballinaman

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 25, 2015, 11:54:59 AM
Anyone had "hip impingement" (FAI). Been plaguing me as last 6 months any time I do heavy running at training eg: sprints & sharp turns/twists, as well as sprints on my own on treadmill, 400m runs etc.

Physio has given hip mobility programme, which I've been doing 3-4 times a week , but it only warms the joint up, giving it a better range of motion again. After a game or training its back to square one and I'm limping... and now its spread into the groin.

Could this be symptoms of a hernia or has anyone had this?
Have you had any imaging on it? A confirmed diagnosis?

ballinaman

Quote from: screenexile on May 25, 2015, 11:39:23 AM
Started back this week with an hour 10k and 22m parkrun on Saturday. I'm hoping to do a half marathon in August but I had real trouble with the 10k on my knees and I'm still sore after the Park run.

Do any of you know if its advisable\possible to run the longer distances having had ACL operations on both legs? I haven't started training properly yet and would love to get stuck in but not if I'm going to be crippled!!
Absolutely but will require core stability, gluteal strengthening and massive work on hams, quads and adductors...absolutely possible if you are willing to put in the work. Much easier rehab when just wanting to run in a straight line compared to getting back on a pitch post ACL.