Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2015, 11:05:09 AM
Quote from: heffo on May 07, 2015, 07:31:38 AM
Anyone doing Terenure 5 mile Sunday week?

Did it last year. It was my first ever organised run and I enjoyed it. Really well organised.

TBH I had forgotten about it and will decide in the next few days if I will run it. I am a bit behind where I was last year but might give it another go.

Good stuff haven't done it before and am looking forward to it

imtommygunn

Quote from: The_geezer on May 07, 2015, 09:44:17 AM
Long-time lurker round the board here. Thought i would share my marathon experience.
Always wanted to do a marathon so i decided i would finally do one this year.
Grabbed a training plan off the internet which was basically 2 short runs during the week and one long run at the weekend gradually building up to 22, 3 weeks before the marathon.
Training was going well, (i ran the Omagh half marathon in 1.45.) however once my long runs got up to 16 miles + i started developing knee pain when running. i carried on and finished the programme and decided to completely rest the knee the week before the marathon.
Anyway, 9 mile into the marathon i was cruising (sticking with the 4hr pacers) i started getting very bad pain on the outside of my knee which was shooting up my hamstring into my butt. I thought a few times i thought i was going to have to pull out but i managed to drag myself round in a time of 4.40. Initially i was very pleased i finished it but on reflection i am not happy with my time and despite telling myself during it i would never attempt this again, i am thinking of entering the Dublin marathon in order to get a better time as i put alot of work into the Belfast marathon and want to seriously improve my time.

Would any of yous have any advice on how to get the knee sorted and have a better training programme to improve my time should i be daft enough and decide to run the Dublin one.

I would suggest see a physio. Dublin is ages away so you've plenty of time but if you don't see a professional then it's probably likely to occur again.

Also I would suggest to make sure and stretch key muscle groups plenty - hamstrings, quads, hip flexors and calves at least.

Training wise plenty of plans out there on the net. Various theories on them but there are a few on here who have done marathons recently so should be well placed. Try and get some runs in regularly to keep the fitness up and get used to it prior to starting something like a 16 week plan.

The_geezer

Thanks for that tommy,

Was at physio and he seems to think tendonitis in the knee, still a big lump on the side of my knee. He gave me some exercises to do and i am on anti-inflammatories I am finally walking properly again after Monday! lol Hadn't bothered with football while i was training for marathon, but will go back now next week.

What would be your recommendation about the best plan to go for, bearing in mind i probably wont have the same amount of time to devote to this next training plan.

Am i right in thinking that the Dublin marathon is meant to be slightly easier than Belfast!  a flatter course?

laoislad

Quote from: The_geezer on May 08, 2015, 08:49:24 AM
Thanks for that tommy,

Was at physio and he seems to think tendonitis in the knee, still a big lump on the side of my knee. He gave me some exercises to do and i am on anti-inflammatories I am finally walking properly again after Monday! lol Hadn't bothered with football while i was training for marathon, but will go back now next week.

What would be your recommendation about the best plan to go for, bearing in mind i probably wont have the same amount of time to devote to this next training plan.

Am i right in thinking that the Dublin marathon is meant to be slightly easier than Belfast!  a flatter course?
Dublin is flat in most parts but there are some pretty steep parts also.
There are some long drags as well where you are going up a slight incline that you wouldn't notice if you were driving it for example but can catch you out when running! From The Coombe up to Crumlin hospital for example and up through the Phoenix Park is another.
I have heard a few more seasoned marathoners say the new Dublin course(which was used last year)is tougher than the old one.
Saying that,I don't know what Belfast is like so can't compare.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CD

It'd definitely be an easier course in Dublin and that combined with more spectators and a better general atmosphere make it a much more pleasant experience in my opinion.
I used the intermediate halhigdon plan last time around and it had me prepared for 3.35 although injury meant I didn't make the start line.
4.40 is a very respectable time for a marathon given that you were dragging that knee around!

anyone doing the Les Jones at Mary Peters next Friday evening?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Gabriel_Hurl

First 10k in the bag. My first run over 7km. Struggled a bit towards the end but ultimately worthwhile.

Onto the next one.

muppet

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 10, 2015, 08:21:16 PM
First 10k in the bag. My first run over 7km. Struggled a bit towards the end but ultimately worthwhile.

Onto the next one.

Good man Gab, well done.
MWWSI 2017

Muck Savage

Long-time lurker round the board here. Thought i would share my marathon experience.
Grabbed a training plan off the internet which was basically 2 short runs during the week and one long run at the weekend gradually building up to 22, 3 weeks before the marathon.
Training was going well, (i ran the Omagh half marathon in 1.45.) however once my long runs got up to 16 miles + i started developing knee pain when running. i carried on and finished the programme and decided to completely rest the knee the week before the marathon.
Anyway, 9 mile into the marathon i was cruising (sticking with the 4hr pacers) i started getting very bad pain on the outside of my knee which was shooting up my hamstring into my butt. I thought a few times i thought i was going to have to pull out but i managed to drag myself round in a time of 4.40. Initially i was very pleased i finished it but on reflection i am not happy with my time and despite telling myself during it i would never attempt this again, i am thinking of entering the Dublin marathon in order to get a better time as i put alot of work into the Belfast marathon and want to seriously improve my time.

Would any of yous have any advice on how to get the knee sorted and have a better training programme to improve my time should i be daft enough and decide to run the Dublin one.

The shoe you wear could help this. I use to run with Asics all the time but at one stage switched to Muzino shoes for one marathon. Was OK running anything under 1/2 marathon but once I went above had the very same problem. Outside of the knee all the way up to the base of my back by the time I was finished. Switched back to Asics and no problem within about 1 week. Haven't switched since.
Get fitted out in a proper Sports store where they check you stance etc.
Hope this helps.

laoislad

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 10, 2015, 08:21:16 PM

Onto the next one.
No bother to you. 10miler then a half marathon next!

ballinaman

Quote from: Muck Savage on May 11, 2015, 04:01:27 AM

The shoe you wear could help this. I use to run with Asics all the time but at one stage switched to Muzino shoes for one marathon. Was OK running anything under 1/2 marathon but once I went above had the very same problem. Outside of the knee all the way up to the base of my back by the time I was finished. Switched back to Asics and no problem within about 1 week. Haven't switched since.
Get fitted out in a proper Sports store where they check you stance etc.
Hope this helps.
Skeptic hat on here so bear with me....

I've changed shoes myself before and felt niggles come on and go when I've reverted back to regular running shoes. Countless stories similar to yours Muck too.
However, all the research is saying that shoes basically can't counteract force when your foot hits the ground....think about it, however much Kg X speed hitting the ground....bit of foam from Asics/Nike won't do a lot to attenuate it.
But what the shoe can do is force your foot to land in a certain way and there by alter the ground reaction force...guide it basically. So what am I getting at....it's you not the shoe. Foot strike is vital but so is....
Ankle range of movement
calf flexibility
knee stability
quad flexibility
quad strength
hip range of movement
gluteal strength/activation patterns
balance and awareness
and about 10 other factors too....

Shoes are multi million euro industry so they'll want you to think the newest 170 euro asics runner will do the job but you have the ability yourself without spending a load of money.
Not advocating the barefoot running craic with the tribe in mexico....our genetic makeup is different, we haven't been walking in barefeet all through our childhood building natural strength in our feet and the terrain in cities is a fairly different from dirt roads in Kenya/Mexico ect!

Also, be wary of shop assistants in sports shops reading from a script, they are doing their best but there are podiatrists who have spent 4 years in college who struggle to analyse foot pattern in a hour long consultation..

In summary....get a shoe that your find comfortable, doesn't have to be mad expensive..if you look after a few other aspects of how you run you'll be fine, shoe isn't the determining factor.

laoislad

In other words, it's not the bow it's the Indian.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on May 11, 2015, 09:52:26 AM
In other words, it's not the bow it's the Indian.
Spot on.
As with everything, buying a nice bow would be so much easier...no work needed. But we're slightly more complicated yokes!

The_geezer

Thanks for that, have a pair of 'expensivish' asics trainers. Think i will try and strengthen the knee up before i go again.
Chatting to a friend and he advised using the knee press machine. Foot is still sore but im staring back training for football this afternoon.

any good websites which give advice of good running form/gait.

cheers all advice very much appreciated

ballinaman

Quote from: The_geezer on May 11, 2015, 10:26:56 AM
Thanks for that, have a pair of 'expensivish' asics trainers. Think i will try and strengthen the knee up before i go again.
Chatting to a friend and he advised using the knee press machine. Foot is still sore but im staring back training for football this afternoon.

any good websites which give advice of good running form/gait.

cheers all advice very much appreciated
You can't beat a bit of hands on assessment if there is anyone in your area who would have a good reputation.

I've be wary of any clinician who still uses the "tendonitis" term though....."itis" means inflammatory and rarely running injuries are inflammatory (apart from initial few days of injury), unless there is a history of inflammatory conditions in the family.

Tendonopathy is a much better way of describing tendon issues that have been going on a few weeks. Describes tendon disruption which doesn't have inflammatory markers associated with it.

Check out this lad, good information here.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RunningRevolution

magpie seanie

I had blisters on the second toe on both feet after my long run last weekend (never happened before) so I'm going to give this a go.