Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annapr

Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:33:37 PM
Quote from: annapr on May 05, 2015, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:13:10 PM
Aye but there's 2 hills in the Parkrun and they kill me every week.
Fair enough and fair play so.
To be honest if a sub 48min 6.5mile run only feels like a light jog to you then you should be aiming for sub 20 or less 5k.
You were doing about 7:23 min/mile pace for that 6.5miles
No im saying if I do an Lsr at a pace of 12/mile it would feel like a light jog. The art of pacing myself is a work in progress
Sorry,I thought you meant going any slower than the pace you ran when you ran 6.5 miles in 48mins would feel like a serious light jog?
Is that not what you meant? I'm a bit confused!

BenDover

Quote from: annapr on May 05, 2015, 09:40:00 PM
To be honest if a sub 48min 6.5mile run only feels like a light jog to you then you should be aiming for sub 20 or less 5k.
No im saying if I do an Lsr at a pace of 12/mile it would feel like a light jog. The art of pacing myself is a work in progress
Sorry,I thought you meant going any slower than the pace you ran when you ran 6.5 miles in 48mins would feel like a serious light jog?
oh no way lol that was me pushing myself a good bit

annapr

Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:58:50 PM
Quote from: annapr on May 05, 2015, 09:40:00 PM
oh no way lol that was me pushing myself a good bit
OK so! I think if you re read your post you'll see how I thought that!

Anyway I think a lsr of 12/min miles would be way too slow for you and would recommend maybe around 10min/miles.
Also maybe do some hill training to crack those hills on your park run.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 05, 2015, 09:26:07 PM
I dont think I could do 6.5 miles in 48 minutes even if it was all downhill!!!!

That would be nearly 2 minutes quicker than my best. BenDover you should be looking at a 21/22 min 5K based on that. Find a flatter one!
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 06, 2015, 02:39:42 PM

That would be nearly 2 minutes quicker than my best. BenDover you should be looking at a 21/22 min 5K based on that. Find a flatter one!
Are you doing anything at all these days?
You were down to sub 23 for 5k were you?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on May 06, 2015, 02:42:49 PM

22:46 in St. Anne's Park run.

Trying hard to get back into it. Did 37k one week then nothing the next. This week a bit better. I have put back on half of the two stone I lost so need to get back to some HR training. I am not giving up though so don't write me off yet though!

Are you going to do another marathon or something different this year?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on May 06, 2015, 02:45:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 06, 2015, 02:42:49 PM

22:46 in St. Anne's Park run.

Trying hard to get back into it. Did 37k one week then nothing the next. This week a bit better. I have put back on half of the two stone I lost so need to get back to some HR training. I am not giving up though so don't write me off yet though!

Are you going to do another marathon or something different this year?
Not doing Marathon I have decided.(Doubt the wife would give me the time to train this year  :D)

Going to concentrate on getting my 5k time down for now and then do the Dublin race series starting with the 5 mile next month and maybe one or two other half Marathons like Clontarf and elsewhere.

Will hopefully then do Dublin Marathon again in 2016 and be better prepared with a good 18 months running behind me unlike doing last years with feck all running experience!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rois

I have put back on half of the two stone I lost so need to get back to some HR training. I am not giving up though so don't write me off yet though!

Please remind me that you found the HR training good for weight loss.  Getting back on it again, but just hate when my running app tells me that my average pace was over 9m/mile.  So just need to go out with the watch and the heart rate strap and not have the app on for time. 

muppet

Quote from: Rois on May 06, 2015, 03:56:17 PM
I have put back on half of the two stone I lost so need to get back to some HR training. I am not giving up though so don't write me off yet though!

Please remind me that you found the HR training good for weight loss.  Getting back on it again, but just hate when my running app tells me that my average pace was over 9m/mile.  So just need to go out with the watch and the heart rate strap and not have the app on for time.

Times don't matter when you do the slow runs below your 'recovery ceiling'. But after a while (less than a month if you are out often enough) you'll see the pace really improve with the same heart rate. So it might be worth it to have the app on just to measure (not follow) your pace each week doing the hr stuff.

I found last year the weight really fell off the month I did the heart rate stuff, and am hoping it works again. Obviously not being out so much and eating a bit better helped too.
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on May 06, 2015, 04:48:07 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 06, 2015, 03:56:17 PM

Times don't matter when you do the slow runs below your 'recovery ceiling'. But after a while (less than a month if you are out often enough) you'll see the pace really improve with the same heart rate. So it might be worth it to have the app on just to measure (not follow) your pace each week doing the hr stuff.

I found last year the weight really fell off the month I did the heart rate stuff, and am hoping it works again. Obviously not being out so much and eating a bit better helped too.

Rois - sounds like you're using an app similar to myself that tells you after every kilometre/mile your split pace. You can turn off the notifications on the app I have but then you'll still have the data afterwards. Might be what you want.

Rois

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 06, 2015, 06:40:18 PM

Rois - sounds like you're using an app similar to myself that tells you after every kilometre/mile your split pace. You can turn off the notifications on the app I have but then you'll still have the data afterwards. Might be what you want.
Just looked for it and you're right, can just turn that off. I must have set it at the start and couldn't remember. Thanks.

heffo

Anyone doing Terenure 5 mile Sunday week?

Milltown Row2

Been in England this week and have been running 5 k routes in the morning and after work... Times decidedly quicker in the evening..... Is this just our body clock telling us we shouldn't be running that early?? Would it just be a slow longer route in the morning a better option??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The_geezer

Long-time lurker round the board here. Thought i would share my marathon experience.
Always wanted to do a marathon so i decided i would finally do one this year.
Grabbed a training plan off the internet which was basically 2 short runs during the week and one long run at the weekend gradually building up to 22, 3 weeks before the marathon.
Training was going well, (i ran the Omagh half marathon in 1.45.) however once my long runs got up to 16 miles + i started developing knee pain when running. i carried on and finished the programme and decided to completely rest the knee the week before the marathon.
Anyway, 9 mile into the marathon i was cruising (sticking with the 4hr pacers) i started getting very bad pain on the outside of my knee which was shooting up my hamstring into my butt. I thought a few times i thought i was going to have to pull out but i managed to drag myself round in a time of 4.40. Initially i was very pleased i finished it but on reflection i am not happy with my time and despite telling myself during it i would never attempt this again, i am thinking of entering the Dublin marathon in order to get a better time as i put alot of work into the Belfast marathon and want to seriously improve my time.

Would any of yous have any advice on how to get the knee sorted and have a better training programme to improve my time should i be daft enough and decide to run the Dublin one.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on May 07, 2015, 07:31:38 AM
Anyone doing Terenure 5 mile Sunday week?

Did it last year. It was my first ever organised run and I enjoyed it. Really well organised.

TBH I had forgotten about it and will decide in the next few days if I will run it. I am a bit behind where I was last year but might give it another go.
MWWSI 2017