Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Fair play Charlie.

Was having a chat with a runner recently who made a great point. How many great runners are lost to GAA/Rugby/Soccer. One of our lads who would be up there as the fittest on the panel decided 9 weeks ago to do the marathon for Charity as his sisters not well and hit the 3 hour mark (3h 1s to be exact). I reckon he could have been a fairly serious runner if he had gotten into it younger!!

Bingo

Congrats Charlie, well done and hope you enjoyed it.....well on reflection you will have enjoyed it!

And well done BM on the 10km time. Serious effort.

Had another cut at sub40 10km yesterday in the Boyne 10km in Drogheda. First 3km was run in a biblical downpour and lost some time here on what was a long uphill drag. Knew there was a hill at 7km, so banked some time in first 5km. Had planned for 19.30 for halfway and was 19.38. But hill at 7km mark done me, was no let up on it for a solid 1km. Lost over a minute here. Pushed home but was home in 40.45. Placed 47th outa almost 1500, so happy enough that I give everything.

A flat 10km in Dundalk in two weeks and will have another run at it!

ballinaman

Screen....absolutely there would be, but a lot come back to it. I've a friend who played football for Waterford who's stopped playing ball and taken up triathlon, he's flying these days.

Serious going bingo, some improvement in times. Can't legislate for a hill like that, Dundalk sounds like a better course.

Speaking of triathlon, those lads are nuts...Brownlee brothers are ridiculous runners.

Enjoyed this 15 minute documentary about the mind when you are under pressure, wanting you to slow and settle for a time rather than pushing on. You either heal to it or drive on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-YjUg5XrHY

imtommygunn

I didn't get charged either...

Well done bingo as well. You'll get the sub 40 soon enough. I had a big struggle for about a year getting it. Great feeling when you do. Tempo work is the key to it...

The triathlon is great viewing BM. The team events when they do them are almost as good an event to watch as you'll see. Alistair had some run in that one last sunday.

The mind plays a lot of tricks on you when racing hard BM but as an old guy in our club said once - no matter how much you're hurting you can be sure the guy racing beside you is too. When you're flat out in a race there is always an overriding feeling to step off as it hurts a lot - I thought it was just me felt like this until I talked to several others about it and they were exactly the same!

ballinaman

Agreed. It's like a safety mechanism that kicks in....must be a neurophysiological reason behind it....brain perceives danger in the form of lactic acid building and steps in the tell you to slow down!

Training repetitively in or close to your redzone, must not only improve you ability physiologically to clear the lactic acid and transport oxygen....but also trains your brain not to be see it as danger because you've felt it on numerous occasions....science...it's fantastic ;D

muppet

Quote from: charlieTully on May 04, 2015, 04:07:04 PM
well lads, I managed to get round it somehow, not quite the time I had hoped, got 4.46. i found it tough going, was sorely tempted to quit on the antrim road, but the thought of going into work and coming on here saying Id quit gave me the motivation to continue. Thanks for all the advice and words of support,its amazing how it actually helps on the day. special thank you to ballinaman for the pms on stretching advice etc, invaluable.

Good man CT, another dose of inspiration for the rest of us in the 99%.
MWWSI 2017

BenDover

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 04, 2015, 01:21:09 PM
Advice needed! My 5k pace is 25 mins. Articles I have read suggest that my long, slow run pace should be 65% of my 5k pace. By my calc that's over 12 min/mile pace - considerably slower than I'm doing them at (10:00 to 10:20). Generally I feel ok at that pace bar maybe the last mile or two. Did over 7 yesterday and did feel tired towards the end.

So am I doing my LSR at too quick a pace? Confused.
Im something similar to this, finally cracked 25 mins at the local park run but last week I did 6.5 miles in under 48 mins (granted the route was flat) but the pace was comfortable and I felt I could have kept going. What distance constitutes a LSR? For me to go any slower would feel like a serious light jog. Im not into the mechanics of running more like start at A and get to B as fast as possible.

annapr

Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:03:05 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 04, 2015, 01:21:09 PM
Advice needed! My 5k pace is 25 mins. Articles I have read suggest that my long, slow run pace should be 65% of my 5k pace. By my calc that's over 12 min/mile pace - considerably slower than I'm doing them at (10:00 to 10:20). Generally I feel ok at that pace bar maybe the last mile or two. Did over 7 yesterday and did feel tired towards the end.

So am I doing my LSR at too quick a pace? Confused.
Im something similar to this, finally cracked 25 mins at the local park run but last week I did 6.5 miles in under 48 mins (granted the route was flat) but the pace was comfortable and I felt I could have kept going. What distance constitutes a LSR? For me to go any slower would feel like a serious light jog. Im not into the mechanics of running more like start at A and get to B as fast as possible.
You sure you mean under 48 mins for 6.5 miles? That's over 10km so you should be easily able break 24 mins for 5k, 23mins even,never mind 25mins!

BenDover

Aye but there's 2 hills in the Parkrun and they kill me every week.

annapr

Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:13:10 PM
Fair enough and fair play so.
To be honest if a sub 48min 6.5mile run only feels like a light jog to you then you should be aiming for sub 20 or less 5k.
You were doing about 7:23 min/mile pace for that 6.5miles

imtommygunn

If you're going flat out in parkrun then even with hills in the parkrun you should be going a fair bit slower in training.

Is that the waterworks parkrun??

Lsr is whatever is long for you. If you're doing 10ks then 8-10 mile would be enough.

magpie seanie

I dont think I could do 6.5 miles in 48 minutes even if it was all downhill!!!!

BenDover

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 05, 2015, 09:23:16 PM
If you're going flat out in parkrun then even with hills in the parkrun you should be going a fair bit slower in training.

Is that the waterworks parkrun??

Lsr is whatever is long for you. If you're doing 10ks then 8-10 mile would be enough.
No its the Armagh Parkrun there's a few in here could tell how horrible the 2 hills are, they're almost back to back and suck the legs right out of me. Not
that the extra few kgs in I'm carrying help 

imtommygunn

The long runs are a great help in shifting weight.

BenDover

Quote from: annapr on May 05, 2015, 09:17:55 PM
Quote from: BenDover on May 05, 2015, 09:13:10 PM
Fair enough and fair play so.
To be honest if a sub 48min 6.5mile run only feels like a light jog to you then you should be aiming for sub 20 or less 5k.
You were doing about 7:23 min/mile pace for that 6.5miles
No im saying if I do an Lsr at a pace of 12/mile it would feel like a light jog. The art of pacing myself is a work in progress