Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

That's obscene running!

I enjoyed watching it Sunday morning. First year in a few that none of the locals had entered having done Paris instead.

The elites are serious movers. Was some talk of a world record attempt but was clear early on that this wasn't going to happen.

Fair play Heffo, look forward to your progress here and will give you something better to do than watching those boring Dubs coast to another All Ireland  ;)

imtommygunn

Ah 2:17 was his time the previous week. 2:30 in that suit is some going.

I think it became quite tactical with so many good guys on sunday hence no world record or close. The womens was worse. The main ones shot themselves in the foot being so tactical and then the ethiopian woman wiped the floor with them when she kicked. If they'd pushed the pace hard earlier it'd have been a different winner.

ballinaman

Ya, I didn't spot many Irish club vests. Fairly stressful trying to pick out friends when all you see is a mass of bobbing heads coming at you though!
Not sure if I'd be gone on doing London though. Seems to be more weighted towards charity entry and ballot entry (which is opened next Monday BTW). The good for age categories are only open for UK based runners which is annoying. I'll throw my name in next Monday anyway but I'd have more interest in doing Berlin, Chicago, New York and Boston. Not Tokyo though, watched the highlights this year...course was dead and finishes in a car park by the looks of it!

imtommygunn

I do the ballot every year so must get on that. Not that interested in the marathon unless a big one like London so I just do it and if I get in I get in.

Tokyo sounds about on a par with Belfast lol.

lfdown2

Quote from: Bingo on April 28, 2015, 11:16:52 AM
That's obscene running!

I enjoyed watching it Sunday morning. First year in a few that none of the locals had entered having done Paris instead.

The elites are serious movers. Was some talk of a world record attempt but was clear early on that this wasn't going to happen.

Fair play Heffo, look forward to your progress here and will give you something better to do than watching those boring Dubs coast to another All Ireland  ;)

How did they find it...I think I remember you talking about it at the time, I am very tempted to sign up for this and just wondering what the experiences have been like

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on April 28, 2015, 11:26:52 AM
Ya, I didn't spot many Irish club vests. Fairly stressful trying to pick out friends when all you see is a mass of bobbing heads coming at you though!
Not sure if I'd be gone on doing London though. Seems to be more weighted towards charity entry and ballot entry (which is opened next Monday BTW). The good for age categories are only open for UK based runners which is annoying. I'll throw my name in next Monday anyway but I'd have more interest in doing Berlin, Chicago, New York and Boston. Not Tokyo though, watched the highlights this year...course was dead and finishes in a car park by the looks of it!

Only seemed about a dozen from boards doing it as well. The charity part seems huge alright. At least you'd have a shout at qualifying, i'd not be close but an getting closer through increassing age mainly.

Would fancy it some day as they say the support and course is brilliant.

A few of the Rockets had done all the majors until they announced Tokyo and they weren't impressed!

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2015, 11:22:37 AM
Ah 2:17 was his time the previous week. 2:30 in that suit is some going.

I think it became quite tactical with so many good guys on sunday hence no world record or close. The womens was worse. The main ones shot themselves in the foot being so tactical and then the ethiopian woman wiped the floor with them when she kicked. If they'd pushed the pace hard earlier it'd have been a different winner.

Womens race was strange alright although the BBC where delighted as it meant Paula's record was safe. They'd have been devastated if it was broken during her last run at it!

Bingo

Quote from: lfdown2 on April 28, 2015, 11:33:47 AM
That's obscene running!

How did they find it...I think I remember you talking about it at the time, I am very tempted to sign up for this and just wondering what the experiences have been like

They all enjoyed it. Was a mixed bag in that 2 of them where sub 2.55hr, a few where first time marathon runners and the others struggled to get training done for various reasons.

As an event though they all really enjoyed it. Was a good buzz round the city for it. The course was good apart from running on cobbles at times and some congestion at start but considering the numbers, it was nothing too bad or off putting.

Only compliant was the price of a pint that Sunday after it but they had expected that!

imtommygunn

Bingo without wanting to get political how do border clubs fit in with ni athletics? I thought ulster clubs registered with ni athletics? If they did then you could maybe get in via the good for age thing? (I don't know enough about it but you guys, Letterkenny etc etc always compete up here though not sure of the registration logistics. )

muppet

Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2015, 08:21:02 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2015, 12:50:13 AM
Quote from: heffo on April 27, 2015, 08:43:31 PM
Have committed to doing the Dublin marathon - need to get finger in gear now.

Good man.

What sort of distance/times are you doing at the moment?

Having had a disastrous few months, I am back on the road again. I did 37km in total last week, very slowly mind.

Doing 10kish once or twice a week - swimming and cycling too - am doing some triathalons too.

Will do the next 10 mile coming up and then a half marathon after that

Jaysus, the Dubs will be winning the marathon as well as the double this year then?  :D
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2015, 11:32:43 AM
I do the ballot every year so must get on that. Not that interested in the marathon unless a big one like London so I just do it and if I get in I get in.

Tokyo sounds about on a par with Belfast lol.
haha...bit further to go than Belfast though. Be an awful dose of a trip too, took me about 3-4 days to get over jetlag to Australia/New Zealand so wouldn't be ideal flying economy to Tokyo and running a marathon!

Ya, no harm in throwing name down next Monday. Say if you miss out 5 years you are guaranteed for 6th. You have to enter every year though, if you miss out you are bottom of the pile. Or you can just go with Sports Tours International ( who i went with to Boston and they are very good) and pay for package, entry...hotel and flights. Little bit more expensive but guaranteed a number, think they can get as many as they like for London he said.

Regarding good for age.....there are ways around it...if you happen to have a friends address in UK, and you can put that down and info ect will be sent there.

heffo

Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2015, 11:43:47 AM

Good man.

Having had a disastrous few months, I am back on the road again. I did 37km in total last week, very slowly mind.

Doing 10kish once or twice a week - swimming and cycling too - am doing some triathalons too.

Jaysus, the Dubs will be winning the marathon as well as the double this year then?  :D

;)

Forgetting O'Byrne Cup & Leinster??!

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2015, 11:40:42 AM
Bingo without wanting to get political how do border clubs fit in with ni athletics? I thought ulster clubs registered with ni athletics? If they did then you could maybe get in via the good for age thing? (I don't know enough about it but you guys, Letterkenny etc etc always compete up here though not sure of the registration logistics. )

We would be registered with Athletics Ireland. Not sure if NI was ever considered but I know that the main reason is that any events the club runs would be sanctioned and insured by AI. I'd know all the Monaghan clubs would be registered the same as they had to do so through the Monaghan County athletics board and we'd compete in the Monaghan leagues.

I know some of the boys joined the Newcastle AC in the past as they where into the Hill running but that has changed now and the club would be recognised as an affliated club when registering for events like the Hill and Dale serious.

As for getting in for London through the GFA process, that hasn't been a problem in the past for the lads and we all would have access to addresses across the water or up north.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on April 28, 2015, 11:47:53 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 28, 2015, 11:43:47 AM

Good man.

;)

Forgetting O'Byrne Cup & Leinster??!

...and the National League!
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Cheers Bingo & Ballinaman

imtommygunn

Quote from: Bingo on April 28, 2015, 11:51:30 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 28, 2015, 11:40:42 AM

We would be registered with Athletics Ireland. Not sure if NI was ever considered but I know that the main reason is that any events the club runs would be sanctioned and insured by AI. I'd know all the Monaghan clubs would be registered the same as they had to do so through the Monaghan County athletics board and we'd compete in the Monaghan leagues.

I know some of the boys joined the Newcastle AC in the past as they where into the Hill running but that has changed now and the club would be recognised as an affliated club when registering for events like the Hill and Dale serious.

As for getting in for London through the GFA process, that hasn't been a problem in the past for the lads and we all would have access to addresses across the water or up north.

Ah right I didn't realise you boys just fudged the address lol.

There's the GFA times for London: https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/

They're not too bad.