Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Google or youtube "the clam"...

Band is just how it manifests itself. It is more likely to be further up in the glutes your problem is...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on April 11, 2015, 10:25:47 AM
Quote from: BenDover on April 10, 2015, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 10, 2015, 12:55:31 PM
Quote from: BenDover on April 10, 2015, 09:07:38 AM
Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2015, 05:18:49 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 06, 2015, 05:01:34 PM

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on April 06, 2015, 03:25:27 PM
GH finally someone around my level. I've been back doing a bit last 3 weeks since moving to a new area with a 5k Walking track out the back of my house. 5/6 runs in and enjoying it. I am at 30 mins for the 5K.

That's roughly were I'm at. Started 5kms runs in January. When I say that I mean for the first few times I couldn't actually run a full 5 without breaking for a walk/rest. The first time out was a massive 42 mins  but quickly enough that went to 32 mins and then 30. Best thus far is 29.10 after I'd say 15 runs   -  mixture treadmill and roads.

Seriously doubt I could get to 25 mins as progress rate has dropped big time but have that target in mind.
Course you will. Just keep at it.
Do a few longer than 5k runs but at a slower pace to build your endurance.
The better runners like imtommygunn,ballinaman and bingo will be able advise better but I found when I started running first that doing the longer slower runs makes the 5k easier.
Some interval training also very good I find.

Well done also Gab Hurl.
I don't do any serious running but every week from the turn of the year I've been doing the Armagh Park Run (5km) started off and did an unofficial run which took me 30mins. I started doing two bootcamp(circuit) sessions during the week about 8 weeks ago and have my parkRun time down till 25:11. Aiming to break 25mins so I'll maybe try do a few longer runs at a slower pace. Some good advice here for novices.
Good man BenDover. Similar to myself in regards to where I started (29:40 first 5k) to where I am now with a 24:00 5k pb.
I've only just started to really concentrate on getting my 5k time down. The other improvemts only came as a result of getting fitter in general and doing some longer runs for marathon training.
I'm doing a lot of intervals and hill training at the moment and hoping by the end of the summer or thereabouts to be down around sub 23.
Might be a tad over optimistic but it's something to aim for anyways.
Hill runs - there's 2 brutal hills on the Armagh Parkrun course, for some hill run training what would ye do up one of them 5-10 times and walk, canter back down to restart?
There's a pretty steep hill about two miles from my house that I jog out to then run up the hill as fast as I can and walk down it and repeat as many times as I can then jog the two miles home again.
Not an exact science I know and I'm sure there are more specific hill training plans you can do and there are plenty on Google or the lads I mentioned will advise.
You're right though this thread is great for beginners.

In between the posts where MilltownRow is trying to flirt with Rois there is some pretty good advice to be got from everyone.

Give us your advice on the warm weather running in Ireland??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 11, 2015, 02:03:02 PM
Google or youtube "the clam"...

Band is just how it manifests itself. It is more likely to be further up in the glutes your problem is...

Side plank gives ya better bang for your buck in terms of glute medius activation would ya believe but clam is a handy one to start out with.

Exactly right re ITB....foam rolling your ITB is a waste of time and needless pain...foam rolling your tensor fascia lata up higher is useful though although getting in with a sliotar or tennis ball to it is probably easier..
ITB is a fascia...not a muscle..goes in more then one direction and applying pressure on it only compresses it. ITB friction syndrome where the ITB band flicks over a fat pad on side of knee causing pain is best corrected by changing running form a little, not running down a tightrope basically ...so by strengthening glutes and stopping your tensor fascia lata becoming over active.

laoislad

Anyone do the Great Ireland Run yesterday?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rois

Nice 10k PB yesterday in TQ10k - broke 53 mins for first time.  ;D
Struggled in the last km, felt totally done-in, couldn't manage a sprint finish.

I'm starting to wonder how achievable breaking 50 mins is.  Only my second km yesterday came near it at 5.02.  I imagine it would be an awful lot of work. 

charlieTully

Quote from: Rois on April 13, 2015, 10:37:02 AM
Struggled in the last km, felt totally done-in, couldn't manage a sprint finish.

I'm starting to wonder how achievable breaking 50 mins is.  Only my second km yesterday came near it at 5.02.  I imagine it would be an awful lot of work.

nice one, well done.

Bingo

Well done Rois, great stuff and sub 50 well in your radar if you go for it.

One of our Sunday morning crew actually run that race, Conor Duffy who runs with Glaslough Harriers. He's a serious mover. Good few of the Rockets over in Paris as well, 2 of them sub 2.55 and the rest happy to get in between the 3.30 and 4hr mark.

I have joined that Strava group BM but haven't hooked up the Garmin yet but will do. If the Liverpool game is boring tonight, I'll do that.

Had a good productive week, returned from a wedding in England last weekend to run a local charity 5km on Monday. Had intended to jog it with Bingo Jnr but he joined up with a few buddies and their parents, so I went off on my own. Ended up pushing harder than entended and finished in 5th place, just under 20min. Drink and truly gone.

Tuesday - day off
Wednesday - 5m recovery run at just under 8min per mile pace.
Thursday - Interval session. 8x400m with warm up and cool down at under 5km pace.
Friday - 4M recovery run.
Saturday - 10m Tempo than averaged 7.27min per mile.

Yesterday was the best run. A pal had rang to see if I'd be interested in doing the "Greenway challenge" in Monaghan Town. It wasn't a race as such but a challenge for charity. Didn't know what it was but said I'd go. So off we went yesterday morning at about 7.30am, in the rain. By the time we were due to start at 8.15am, the rain had stopped....and was replaced by snow!

What the challenge entitled was great. They have 4 Gyms in Monaghan - hotels and independent. They have also regenerated the old Ulster canal pathways and have a decent Greenway that goes through and round the town. You set off from your starting point along Greenway to next Gym, when you arrived you then did 10mins on an exercise bike. (You could cycle between them either and do 20mins on threadmill). Finish bike and run to then gym, another 10mins on bike, off to next gym, same again and then back to your starting Gym where you did 10mins on rowing machine (or ten mins doing lengths of pool).

Was very enjoyable and we pushed rightly. Took us just over 1hr 30 with 10.7km run and the bikes/rowing machines thrown in.

Was great value for only €10 with decent T-shirt for all finishers, drinks/snacks at all Gyms, good bag at finish with sports drink, more water, bars and fruit and a lovely warm cup of tea at the finish. First year they had done it and we told them it was under priced. Defo do it again and it was going on all day.

Legs feel surprisingly good today and drove to Dublin after that yesterday.

Hopefully another good week with a 5km race planned for Saturday evening and a long run on Sunday.

Milltown Row2

Course you will, you should target the Jimmy Ten K race in Downpatrick, tough enough as there are couple hills in it but good grandstand finish in the town. Well done btw
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Well done Rois. The laganside in september is a good one to target. It's flat and fast. NO reason not to take a few minutes off the time too.

Lisburn is a bit too hily to be really speeding up at.

Bingo that fella won yesterday. He's in good form at the minute.

magpie seanie

Super running Rois. Hoping to nick some time off my 10k pb but will need a couple more weeks work before trying for it.

muppet

I will bet you will have it done this summer!

What is your best 5k time?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 02:32:17 PM
Super running Rois. Hoping to nick some time off my 10k pb but will need a couple more weeks work before trying for it.
Are you still doing parkrun?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2015, 01:36:11 PM
Well done Rois. The laganside in september is a good one to target. It's flat and fast. NO reason not to take a few minutes off the time too.

Yeah, Conor keeps getting better and better. He's young so not afraid to race the big fellas. Some runners will pick and choose the race to see if they have a chance of winning. Connor would rather race against the best and better himself. Ran the Armagh 5k against International level runners and finished 35th or something but really went for it and PB'd. He ran Greencastle on St Stephens day and got 3rd, ran the Queens 5k recently as well, possibly 3rd at it as well, maybe 4th.

With the track opening over in Clones, he heads there twice a week and really puts in killer sessions. He works as a postman, so can work, have a rest and then train hard. Serious hard worker at it and getting better and better.

Played a bit of ball till a few years back and won a county medal without playing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on April 13, 2015, 03:30:03 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 02:32:17 PM
Are you still doing parkrun?

No. Time is difficult for me so I try to do a long run on a Saturday or Sunday (it will be one or the other) because I won't get to do one during the week. With the evenings getting longer that might change. A bit of a pissoff as there's a parkrun in Sligo now and I haven't done it yet. My main target for the year is the Warriors Run and to make a significant improvement in my time (which won't happen without some weight loss). Taking down my 5k pb is very much secondary to that.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Bingo on April 13, 2015, 03:51:57 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 13, 2015, 01:36:11 PM

Yeah, Conor keeps getting better and better. He's young so not afraid to race the big fellas. Some runners will pick and choose the race to see if they have a chance of winning. Connor would rather race against the best and better himself. Ran the Armagh 5k against International level runners and finished 35th or something but really went for it and PB'd. He ran Greencastle on St Stephens day and got 3rd, ran the Queens 5k recently as well, possibly 3rd at it as well, maybe 4th.

With the track opening over in Clones, he heads there twice a week and really puts in killer sessions. He works as a postman, so can work, have a rest and then train hard. Serious hard worker at it and getting better and better.

Played a bit of ball till a few years back and won a county medal without playing.

Good to see someone new breaking in with the "big boys" at least. The likes of winning that yesterday would be a decent enough pay cheque so would make it worthwhile.