Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Old yeller on April 07, 2015, 06:26:07 PM
Has anybody got any good tips on how to prepare for the bleep test? I wouldn't be too fit at the minute but have been out jog for 30 mins twice a week for about a month now. Looking to get 9.0/10 on test, its about a montb away

Just get two cones at the distance required and train for that... Plenty apps on phones that will set the time/beep for it..

We do them for refereeing and lads that carry weight get through it by just training specifically fir it that way. All I can say is use the time in between the run to get breathing right...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: Old yeller on April 07, 2015, 06:26:07 PM
Has anybody got any good tips on how to prepare for the bleep test? I wouldn't be too fit at the minute but have been out jog for 30 mins twice a week for about a month now. Looking to get 9.0/10 on test, its about a montb away

If its the same bleep test I'm thinking off, I'd recommend going a bit harder than a jog, up the pace every once in a while to 1/2, 3/4's and so on.

Jogging will only stand to you in the early part of it, you'll need to get the lungs pumping to last out any great length of time.

sabhallphadraig

Hi,

Some great inspiration on here - from and for all those ex-footballers like me now pounding the roads.

Any advice on preparing for and handling travel/jet-lag prior to an event?  I'm (probably stupidly but too good a chance to not give it a rattle) entered for the Melbourne marathon in October (over for a family wedding at the end of the month) and training is going smoothly from a long way out at the minute. When I fully lock on to the marathon uplift from June onwards, and avoiding injury in the interim, I know I will have a different challenge as the race approaches i.e. 24+hrs travel to Aus, arriving on the day before the marathon, temperature uplift following an October taper in Ireland and my head possibly not knowing what time of day it is when I toe the start line.  Anyone successfully done an equiv to this and if so how did you handle the prep for temp diffs, the travel itself (staying loose but rested (knock out medication etc) in order to actually enjoy the marathon itself and maximising a great way to see some of the city early on?

Rois

Anyone doing TQ10k on Sunday? Think it's giving rain.
I picked up my pack this eve but went out for a run and have managed to hurt my calf. It twinged with about 500metres to go but I ran on and it felt ok, but now feels so tight. I know you lads won't know a tap about this, but I was wearing quite high heels a bit over Easter and again today, I wonder if that's affected me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on April 09, 2015, 11:36:02 PM
Anyone doing TQ10k on Sunday? Think it's giving rain.
I picked up my pack this eve but went out for a run and have managed to hurt my calf. It twinged with about 500metres to go but I ran on and it felt ok, but now feels so tight. I know you lads won't know a tap about this, but I was wearing quite high heels a bit over Easter and again today, I wonder if that's affected me.

Have you been running hills?? Done a lot on holiday and the route is very hilly. Calf's are very tight.. Get the foam roller out and work on it... Did it last year, the run back down towards finish is tough.  Good luck
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2015, 05:18:49 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 06, 2015, 05:01:34 PM

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on April 06, 2015, 03:25:27 PM
GH finally someone around my level. I've been back doing a bit last 3 weeks since moving to a new area with a 5k Walking track out the back of my house. 5/6 runs in and enjoying it. I am at 30 mins for the 5K.

That's roughly were I'm at. Started 5kms runs in January. When I say that I mean for the first few times I couldn't actually run a full 5 without breaking for a walk/rest. The first time out was a massive 42 mins  but quickly enough that went to 32 mins and then 30. Best thus far is 29.10 after I'd say 15 runs   -  mixture treadmill and roads.

Seriously doubt I could get to 25 mins as progress rate has dropped big time but have that target in mind.
Course you will. Just keep at it.
Do a few longer than 5k runs but at a slower pace to build your endurance.
The better runners like imtommygunn,ballinaman and bingo will be able advise better but I found when I started running first that doing the longer slower runs makes the 5k easier.
Some interval training also very good I find.

Well done also Gab Hurl.
I don't do any serious running but every week from the turn of the year I've been doing the Armagh Park Run (5km) started off and did an unofficial run which took me 30mins. I started doing two bootcamp(circuit) sessions during the week about 8 weeks ago and have my parkRun time down till 25:11. Aiming to break 25mins so I'll maybe try do a few longer runs at a slower pace. Some good advice here for novices.

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2015, 12:14:10 AM

Have you been running hills?? Done a lot on holiday and the route is very hilly. Calf's are very tight.. Get the foam roller out and work on it... Did it last year, the run back down towards finish is tough.  Good luck
Thanks MR - No more hills than usual, though I was walking a lot on the beach at Easter - maybe 10k on each of Mon and Tues - sometimes in soft sand so maybe that's put a bit more strain on the calves.  Eh, they feel a good bit better today so I should be rightly by Sunday.
I did TQ10k back in 2012 - boring boring boring.  Was the run back tough because it was long and straight? 

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on April 10, 2015, 09:07:38 AM

GH finally someone around my level. I've been back doing a bit last 3 weeks since moving to a new area with a 5k Walking track out the back of my house. 5/6 runs in and enjoying it. I am at 30 mins for the 5K.

That's roughly were I'm at. Started 5kms runs in January. When I say that I mean for the first few times I couldn't actually run a full 5 without breaking for a walk/rest. The first time out was a massive 42 mins  but quickly enough that went to 32 mins and then 30. Best thus far is 29.10 after I'd say 15 runs   -  mixture treadmill and roads.

Seriously doubt I could get to 25 mins as progress rate has dropped big time but have that target in mind.
The better runners like imtommygunn,ballinaman and bingo will be able advise better but I found when I started running first that doing the longer slower runs makes the 5k easier.

Well done also Gab Hurl.
I don't do any serious running but every week from the turn of the year I've been doing the Armagh Park Run (5km) started off and did an unofficial run which took me 30mins. I started doing two bootcamp(circuit) sessions during the week about 8 weeks ago and have my parkRun time down till 25:11. Aiming to break 25mins so I'll maybe try do a few longer runs at a slower pace. Some good advice here for novices.
Good man BenDover. Similar to myself in regards to where I started (29:40 first 5k) to where I am now with a 24:00 5k pb.
I've only just started to really concentrate on getting my 5k time down. The other improvemts only came as a result of getting fitter in general and doing some longer runs for marathon training.
I'm doing a lot of intervals and hill training at the moment and hoping by the end of the summer or thereabouts to be down around sub 23.
Might be a tad over optimistic but it's something to aim for anyways.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BenDover

Quote from: laoislad on April 10, 2015, 12:55:31 PM

Well done also Gab Hurl.
Good man BenDover. Similar to myself in regards to where I started (29:40 first 5k) to where I am now with a 24:00 5k pb.
I've only just started to really concentrate on getting my 5k time down. The other improvemts only came as a result of getting fitter in general and doing some longer runs for marathon training.
I'm doing a lot of intervals and hill training at the moment and hoping by the end of the summer or thereabouts to be down around sub 23.
Hill runs - there's 2 brutal hills on the Armagh Parkrun course, for some hill run training what would ye do up one of them 5-10 times and walk, canter back down to restart?

CD

Quote from: Rois on April 10, 2015, 12:49:20 PM

Thanks MR - No more hills than usual, though I was walking a lot on the beach at Easter - maybe 10k on each of Mon and Tues - sometimes in soft sand so maybe that's put a bit more strain on the calves.  Eh, they feel a good bit better today so I should be rightly by Sunday.
I did TQ10k back in 2012 - boring boring boring.  Was the run back tough because it was long and straight?
Did it last year Rois. Have had a few niggles so no running for a week or two. It was my first ever 10k race. There are a couple of sections that were very windy last year I think. I really enjoyed it - very flat but a bit boring as you said. I didn't mind the run back so much as there were lots of people still going the other way and I was looking out for familiar faces! Good luck - hope the weather holds for you! Foam roller definitely does the trick on the calves as MR said.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

take_yer_points

When people mention hill runs what exactly do you mean? Are you doing 10 short sharp runs up a hill or 2 or 3 long hills? There's a half mile long fairly steep hill beside me here  - is that too far?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on April 10, 2015, 12:49:20 PM

As CD said. Its the wind hitting you on way back, I started out possibly too quick but just felt the wind slowed me down in the end.. You'll get a sprint finish though as crowds and host cheer you in... 42is your target😉

laoislad

Quote from: BenDover on April 10, 2015, 01:23:51 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 10, 2015, 12:55:31 PM

Well done also Gab Hurl.
Hill runs - there's 2 brutal hills on the Armagh Parkrun course, for some hill run training what would ye do up one of them 5-10 times and walk, canter back down to restart?
There's a pretty steep hill about two miles from my house that I jog out to then run up the hill as fast as I can and walk down it and repeat as many times as I can then jog the two miles home again.
Not an exact science I know and I'm sure there are more specific hill training plans you can do and there are plenty on Google or the lads I mentioned will advise.
You're right though this thread is great for beginners.

In between the posts where MilltownRow is trying to flirt with Rois there is some pretty good advice to be got from everyone.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

Hill repeats are not about just tearing up them... Start with 4 or 6 and build up doing 4,4,6,6,8,8 etc for as long as you want.i'd say 50 seconds to a minute would be enough.

Two key things...

- consistency is key - the last rep should take the same time as the first(as should the middle ones!)

- you need to keep your form in these reps- keep upright and use your arms.

Hills will build strength. What we usually do is 4-6 weeks of hills and then move into the speed stuff. The hills are great grounding for the speed.( this is basically "periodisation")

redzone

have a sore it band.just down at the outside of my knee. foamroller helps it. any good strengthening  exersises  I could do. I have some bands. I did rest it for a month but its back