Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2015, 11:30:53 AM
I use my phone and the mapmyrun app. A guy I run with some times has a GPS watch and his recordings of our pace and distance are always more favourable and I'm not talking by a small amount.

What am I looking at costs wise for a decent GPS watch? Any advice? Is there and app for the phone for Strava?

Yep, there is a strava app too...essentially same as mapmyrun....easy to use, basically social media/running log and they make some slick videos...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BV30EDMmn4

Can't go wrong with Garmin forerunner 10.....decent price for a good quality GPS watch, doesn't have bells and whistles of more expensive versions but does the job! Doesn't have a heart rate monitor built in but does the job otherwise!

laoislad

I got the garmin 610 off eBay awhile back.
Great watch and loads of features and not all that expensive.
Can't  remember now but I think I paid about €150.
It's great for setting training runs on it as it will beep when you are out of the zone you want to be in,be it pace wise or heart rate zone etc. Loads of other features on it also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Stall the Bailer

I'm using the garmin forerunner 15. Wouldn't go for a run without it. Similar watch to laoislad's by the sounds of it.
Any of you a member of a group on garmin connect?

Mayo4Sam

There's already a gaaboard strava BM, search GAABOARD, it's just been us cyclists so far
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

heffo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 05, 2015, 02:08:37 PM
There's already a gaaboard strava BM, search GAABOARD, it's just been us cyclists so far

Where do you search for it in Strava? Not finding anything under 'Find friends'?

laoislad

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on April 05, 2015, 02:08:37 PM
Sure we couldn't be mixing with them riding 3 abreast on a country road cyclists....

Gabriel_Hurl

Did my first 5k run last night - probably not the best night to do it but glad I did it - 36 minutes

PadraicHenryPearse

GH finally someone around my level. I've been back doing a bit last 3 weeks since moving to a new area with a 5k Walking track out the back of my house. 5/6 runs in and enjoying it. I am at 30 mins for the 5K.

redzone

Anything u can do to avoid flea bites. They usually only bite me from the knee down and only if i stopped to chat someone for a few minutes.any ointments or anything.cheers

Aristo 60

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on April 06, 2015, 03:25:27 PM
GH finally someone around my level. I've been back doing a bit last 3 weeks since moving to a new area with a 5k Walking track out the back of my house. 5/6 runs in and enjoying it. I am at 30 mins for the 5K.

That's roughly were I'm at. Started 5kms runs in January. When I say that I mean for the first few times I couldn't actually run a full 5 without breaking for a walk/rest. The first time out was a massive 42 mins  but quickly enough that went to 32 mins and then 30. Best thus far is 29.10 after I'd say 15 runs   -  mixture treadmill and roads.

Seriously doubt I could get to 25 mins as progress rate has dropped big time but have that target in mind.

laoislad

Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 06, 2015, 05:01:34 PM

That's roughly were I'm at. Started 5kms runs in January. When I say that I mean for the first few times I couldn't actually run a full 5 without breaking for a walk/rest. The first time out was a massive 42 mins  but quickly enough that went to 32 mins and then 30. Best thus far is 29.10 after I'd say 15 runs   -  mixture treadmill and roads.

Seriously doubt I could get to 25 mins as progress rate has dropped big time but have that target in mind.
Course you will. Just keep at it.
Do a few longer than 5k runs but at a slower pace to build your endurance.
The better runners like imtommygunn,ballinaman and bingo will be able advise better but I found when I started running first that doing the longer slower runs makes the 5k easier.
Some interval training also very good I find.

Well done also Gab Hurl.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2015, 05:18:49 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on April 06, 2015, 05:01:34 PM

Course you will. Just keep at it.
Do a few longer than 5k runs but at a slower pace to build your endurance.
The better runners like imtommygunn,ballinaman and bingo will be able advise better but I found when I started running first that doing the longer slower runs makes the 5k easier.
Some interval training also very good I find.

Well done also Gab Hurl.
Spot on LL, get the aerobic foundation in first and then add the intervals to really get the times down. Fair play Gab Hurl, keep her lit
Quote from: redzone on April 06, 2015, 03:55:15 PM
Anything u can do to avoid flea bites. They usually only bite me from the knee down and only if i stopped to chat someone for a few minutes.any ointments or anything.cheers
Chemist for repellent would advise ya or else the cheaper natural method, don't stop to chat! :P

Aristo 60

muppet

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 06, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
Did my first 5k run last night - probably not the best night to do it but glad I did it - 36 minutes

Fair play GH and to PHP and Aristo.

I desperately need some motivation to get back this year and this thread might provide it again.
MWWSI 2017

Old yeller

Has anybody got any good tips on how to prepare for the bleep test? I wouldn't be too fit at the minute but have been out jog for 30 mins twice a week for about a month now. Looking to get 9.0/10 on test, its about a montb away