Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on February 26, 2015, 10:33:10 PM
11 miles this afternoon in 1.45. hail sleet and snow from 5 miles in. Think my target of 2.05 for half will be a struggle . Does it ever get easier?

Course it does.... You'll be able to left the tempo in the final quarter.. Providing you don't go helter schelter ... Pick a pacer 2 hour pacer and stay in front of him, then see how you feel
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

11 miles this afternoon in 1.45. hail sleet and snow from 5 miles in. Think my target of 2.05 for half will be a struggle . Does it ever get easier?

You will be quicker in the actual race. You get sucked along with the energy of the group and will perform better than in training.

I found taking it handy for the first 5k and then, if you feel good pushing it, worked well for me.
MWWSI 2017

charlieTully

cheers guys, this is a great thread for motivation, advice etc etc. Its a weird game, dread a long run but cant wait to get stuck into it. world of fecking pain, but addictive, so addictive.

Milltown Row2

Did the Lisburn half last year. Started out before the 1.45 pacers.... Had my Garmin watch on so knew what pace I wanted, kept at it for 6 miles but body told me that id a lot more to give... Pushed on and final 3 miles I was sprinting, legs felt strong and all I wanted to do was pass the runners in front... 1.38 for a half marathon. No real training prior, just my usual 6 mile runs....

You'll find a lot more in the tank, your body will let you know, just don't start off too fast
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

Folks, recently started back at football training but my legs are really heavy during the long runs and I'm lagging behind the group. Training is on the field and obviously the wet/heavy ground doesn't help but anything in particular I can do? Would keep active during the week with circuits/kettlebells so fitness isn't really the issue. More jogging on the roads?

ballinaman

Quote from: tintin25 on February 28, 2015, 11:56:07 AM
Folks, recently started back at football training but my legs are really heavy during the long runs and I'm lagging behind the group. Training is on the field and obviously the wet/heavy ground doesn't help but anything in particular I can do? Would keep active during the week with circuits/kettlebells so fitness isn't really the issue. More jogging on the roads?
High intensity circuits..kettle bells...30m-60m sprint intervals...

Football is all about repeated high intensity accelerations / decelerations. Maybe 1 run of 5-10km a week to help aerobic capacity but that's it. Shorter higher intensity stuff be better use of time..

magpie seanie

I have always felt that long runs bring me on in leaps and bounds. You'll whittle that time down. 2.05 should be within your grasp.

mrdeeds

Quick question. Doing a half marathon on Sunday and want to break 1 30. What do I have to average a kilometre. And are you better going steady or balls out till nature takes its course?

ballinaman

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 04, 2015, 06:59:25 PM
Quick question. Doing a half marathon on Sunday and want to break 1 30. What do I have to average a kilometre. And are you better going steady or balls out till nature takes its course?
4.15 per Km, 6.50s per mile...
Even paced running all the way...would you have ran anything similar before? Picking a time and working back can lead to problems if haven't trained at pace close to what's required...

mrdeeds

Quote from: ballinaman on March 04, 2015, 07:12:48 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 04, 2015, 06:59:25 PM
4.15 per Km, 6.50s per mile...
Even paced running all the way...would you have ran anything similar before? Picking a time and working back can lead to problems if haven't trained at pace close to what's required...

Done few halfs before. Done a 1 31 last year. Hoping to get under 1 30 this year.

charlieTully

carlingford half marathon done this morning in 1.58, delighted to get under 2 hours, thanks for all the advice.

muppet

Quote from: charlieTully on March 07, 2015, 10:09:18 PM
carlingford half marathon done this morning in 1.58, delighted to get under 2 hours, thanks for all the advice.

Good man well done.
MWWSI 2017

Rois

Brilliant, well done.

CD

Great running Charlie! Well done.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

ballinaman

Mighty stuff...well done!!