Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 20, 2015, 12:36:09 PM
Ankle mobility can be a big factor too BM.

I also have MTSS BM hence why I post so infrequently in this thread...
Aye, ankle mobility is a tricky one...calf been related to soleus/calf tightness or bony which you can't do much about, called ankle equinus.

Have a look at this article...decent.

http://www.runningwritings.com/2012/10/injury-series-medial-tibial-stress.html

imtommygunn

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on February 20, 2015, 12:04:18 AM
Running has been non existent for me the past while.
Really need to get back into it as I've really gone backwards as regards fitness. Did go for a run last Saturday but struggled through 3 miles before I gave up.

Anyone any tips or recommend a good training program for starting from almost from scratch again?
I'm not gone so far back that I need to do couch to 5k again but I'm not far off it!

Only back at it myself after 4 weeks with no running at all and a pretty spotty 4-5 weeks prior to that. Ran my usual lunchtime 5k on Wednesday and was fecked after it, despite a pretty leisurely pace. Ran it again today, even slower, and the legs were giving me wee warnings along the way. It's such a pain to have let a decent level of fitness go but couldn't be helped - had a bitch of a sinusitis/head cold that I just couldn't go running.

CD

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 20, 2015, 02:49:06 PM
Really need to get back into it as I've really gone backwards as regards fitness. Did go for a run last Saturday but struggled through 3 miles before I gave up.

Anyone any tips or recommend a good training program for starting from almost from scratch again?
I'm not gone so far back that I need to do couch to 5k again but I'm not far off it!

Only back at it myself after 4 weeks with no running at all and a pretty spotty 4-5 weeks prior to that. Ran my usual lunchtime 5k on Wednesday and was fecked after it, despite a pretty leisurely pace. Ran it again today, even slower, and the legs were giving me wee warnings along the way. It's such a pain to have let a decent level of fitness go but couldn't be helped - had a bitch of a sinusitis/head cold that I just couldn't go running.
Entering week two of a head cold! Just can't shift it at all! Did a 10 km in Omagh yesterday and coughed and dribbled most of the way around. Found it tough as I haven't done anything in a fortnight. Ran about 43.30 or so, way short of what I think I can do! Cara 10mile in 3 weeks and no miles done! I hate February!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on February 22, 2015, 09:36:38 AM

Entering week two of a head cold! Just can't shift it at all! Did a 10 km in Omagh yesterday and coughed and dribbled most of the way around. Found it tough as I haven't done anything in a fortnight. Ran about 43.30 or so, way short of what I think I can do! Cara 10mile in 3 weeks and no miles done! I hate February!

43 is brilliant and that's not taking in your cold!! Im sitting around 45 at minute (working issues) but can do 42 so still fair bit off what I can do.... Was to do the 'Craic' run and organized loads of friends to do it to only realise I'm in fecking England all bloody week!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

1.15.58, PB by 33 seconds..am on the Guinness now for the day.

laoislad

Fantastic BM well done.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on February 22, 2015, 01:11:24 PM

For a half?

FFS! Great time.

My guinness PB might compare better than my half marathon time does.
MWWSI 2017

charlieTully

Unreal. Pints well earned after that.

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2015, 10:03:22 AM
Quote from: CD on February 22, 2015, 09:36:38 AM

43 is brilliant and that's not taking in your cold!! Im sitting around 45 at minute (working issues) but can do 42 so still fair bit off what I can do.... Was to do the 'Craic' run and organized loads of friends to do it to only realise I'm in fecking England all bloody week!!!!
I was looking forward to it too! Going to sit it out as well and allow my wife to run that one while I look after the kids! It's only 3 days after Cara so a rest would be better preparation for the Omagh half on 28th! Going to go watch it though - looks like being a big turn out!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

charlieTully

you mentioned Carlingford half in an earlier post,doing it in a couple of weeks, is it a difficult course?

Bingo

Super stuff lad. Enjoy the well earned stout!

Ran a 5km yesterday, finished in 19.04. Was hoping to get in under the 19m mark but didn't happen. Happy out all the same.

imtommygunn

Great run BM. Good to see your hard work paying off! Mileage isn't everything once you have the fitness up. I actually find myself a lot more responsive to tempos than intervals but both are good for getting the pace up no doubt.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 23, 2015, 09:19:03 AM
Great run BM. Good to see your hard work paying off! Mileage isn't everything once you have the fitness up. I actually find myself a lot more responsive to tempos than intervals but both are good for getting the pace up no doubt.
Cheers chief...enjoying the shorter stuff, marathon is unreal but nice not to have all eggs in one basket and be able to do other races
,Agreed...you can fool yourself by doing a good track session with breaks...it's the 30-40 min tempos when you have to grind it out, helps you psychologically as well....

charlieTully

11 miles this afternoon in 1.45. hail sleet and snow from 5 miles in. Think my target of 2.05 for half will be a struggle . Does it ever get easier?