Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2015, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 16, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
I'm just being lazy, wanting an app to tell me when to speed up and slow down on tempo runs without having to concentrate. 

I am used to running with a phone around my arm so I'm not too worried about that. 

My last (and only) half marathon was 2.04 so really want to get under the 2hr mark.

What are your 5k/10k times Rois?
5k PB is 24.46 and 10k PB is about 54 mins (just under I think).  I've tried but never really got into the speed training. I seem to settle on one pace which is about 9min10-20 per mile. 

muppet

Quote from: Rois on February 18, 2015, 09:21:39 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2015, 08:25:28 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 16, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
I'm just being lazy, wanting an app to tell me when to speed up and slow down on tempo runs without having to concentrate. 

I am used to running with a phone around my arm so I'm not too worried about that. 

My last (and only) half marathon was 2.04 so really want to get under the 2hr mark.

What are your 5k/10k times Rois?
5k PB is 24.46 and 10k PB is about 54 mins (just under I think).  I've tried but never really got into the speed training. I seem to settle on one pace which is about 9min10-20 per mile.

If you were running those times now I would think you could break 2 hours for the half. Have you ran 10 miles? A couple of training runs at that distance in under 90 mins might give you the confidence to pace yourself at 9 min miles or less in a half. (NB You have done as many half marathons as me so take any advice of mine with a Heath warning). 
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Running has been non existent for me the past while.
Really need to get back into it as I've really gone backwards as regards fitness. Did go for a run last Saturday but struggled through 3 miles before I gave up.

Anyone any tips or recommend a good training program for starting from almost from scratch again?
I'm not gone so far back that I need to do couch to 5k again but I'm not far off it!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

charlieTully

Some advice please. I ran ten miles on Monday, since then my left knee has been sore at the side and back of it. Not unbearable but noticeable and not all the time but like a jolt when I stand up. Have been putting anti inflammation gel on if and have rested. Was due to run 8 miles tomorrow. Should I leave it or wear a strap or something. Any advice appreciated.

ballinaman

Laoislad -

I often recommend the 30:10 rule for people coming back from injury/lay off.

1/3 of normal pace
1/3 of distance
Increasing by 10% weekly increments.

It's a graduated return to running. Won't put too much stress on body and will allow time for it to adapt to increased loads when you start back.

Charlie:
I'll PM you.

Bit of advice in general though, stay away from anti inflams for injuries in general....inflammation is an essential part of healing in the early days and by blocking it actually you can SLOW down healing. So paracetamol if you are in pain. The old ICE still works too in first 72 hours, 10 mins on maximum, lose affect longer than 10 mins so wasting your time having it on for 30 mins...10on/10off whenever you like.
Some light evidence for anti inflams work for reactive tendons, like if you whip your achilles off corner of a chair and it flares up, can't be used then for 1-2 days. But stay away from then for majority of injuries....

charlieTully

Bingo

Great advice as always from the exile  ;D

For LL, I'd also add that nothing helps to motivate than to target a run or race in the future and commit to running it. Even if that's a 5km, 10km or half down the line. Target it and it will help you get back out and running on a regular basis.

ballinaman

haha...sound Bingo. I was out at London Colney....Arsenals training ground on Wednesday...like going to Disneyland to check out facilities...

Also...did ye see the Armagh 5K results yesterday....56 lads under 15 mins... :o

screenexile

Quote from: ballinaman on February 20, 2015, 10:41:27 AM
haha...sound Bingo. I was out at London Colney....Arsenals training ground on Wednesday...like going to Disneyland to check out facilities...

Also...did ye see the Armagh 5K results yesterday....56 lads under 15 mins... :o

Jesus Christ was it all downhill??

Bingo

I was keeping an eye on that on Twitter BM.

What a race! I'd fully intended to tip down to it but had a club meeting that put paid to that.

Its a savage race and they really had a high class field this year as it was the 25th anniversary with the high profile Jonathon Brownlee and Ieun Thomas. Think the qualifying time was sub 17 but even then you'd be wasting your time.

The local runner Conor Duffy give it a go and finished midtable. He'd rarely be outside the top 3 in even top level Irish meets.

imtommygunn

BM that armagh race is a great one. You need to have a sub 17 to get entry into it. Second last was 16:26!! I'd say you would border on threatening 16 at that!

A guy called Dermot Kerr in Armagh knows loads of top runners and attracts them all. Best 5k about by a long way in teh whole of the UK for quality.

ballinaman

Incredible depth in that race, great to see. Would have been last so by ages!
Managed a 16.46 parkrun fairly comfortable 2 weeks ago in a park run. 3.5 mile run there and back as well. Been nursing a little bit of MTSS since last week (Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome)...better diagnositic term for "shin splints".
Have Hampton Court Half marathon on Sunday morning at 8.30am...I know, feck sake..up before 6 to get there. Have had to ease off miles big time since so not ideal prep but will give it a crack. Cross trainer and rower to keep aerobic fitness up. Will be taking about a month off after I reckon because bone will need to calm down after 13.2 miles clipping it.
Reduced dairy intake since Christmas and combination of that, more races and miles flared up the tibia. Own fault, should have been taken calcium.magnesium supplements! Sure we live and learn!

Bingo

Is that one of the causes of shin splits? lack of dairy/calcium?

Do calve compression guards help to any extent for it? Know a few fellas who wear them for that reason.

Best of luck Sunday, eyeballs out as we say! Any time in mind?

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on February 20, 2015, 11:57:27 AM
Is that one of the causes of shin splits? lack of dairy/calcium?

Do calve compression guards help to any extent for it? Know a few fellas who wear them for that reason.

Best of luck Sunday, eyeballs out as we say! Any time in mind?

Good few potential causes for them....

Reduced calcium/magnesium is one. When you run, you put stress through your bones..this is a good thing, causes cells to make and lay down new bone..vital for bone health. However, if you load more than your bone has time to lay down new bone you start to develop issues.

Calf tightness is another, not able to properly absorb ground reaction force and its transferred to bone.

Previous calf injury is another, slightly weaker and much same as tightness, can't absorb ground reaction forces.

Stride pattern is another, you hear some lads/girls...thump thump thump on the ground. Increasing steps per minute reduces contact time with ground. General rule is 180 per minute...so next time you are out, count every time your right foot hits the ground for 30 seconds...should be around 45....multiple it by 4 to see how close you are to 180.

If you are way below 180, may need to get a snappier stride pattern. This takes time to change so don't panic.

Will try for 5.50s per mile and see how i'm fixed for 1.16.31 PB from Carlingford this time last year! Time flown... :o

imtommygunn

Ankle mobility can be a big factor too BM.

I also have MTSS BM hence why I post so infrequently in this thread...