Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 03, 2015, 11:24:49 AM

Thanks for the info Moysider. IfWhen I do it then it will be a PB anyway - haven't ran over 10 miles yet. Benefits for me with Achill is that we might make a weekend of it with the kids so that gets buy in from "the boss" which makes getting time to train easier etc... I'm a crafty hoor really!

An often overlooked and essential part of any training plan  :D

Orior

Quote from: giveherlong on February 03, 2015, 09:57:29 AM
Just checked a lap of waterworks is 1.4km

Here's what you want, access from Jellicoe Avenue and Skegoneill Road. Tip: Dont wear you club or county top.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.6210774,-5.9265034,434m/data=!3m1!1e3
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

moysider

Quote from: Bingo on February 03, 2015, 11:33:14 AM

Thanks for the info Moysider. IfWhen I do it then it will be a PB anyway - haven't ran over 10 miles yet. Benefits for me with Achill is that we might make a weekend of it with the kids so that gets buy in from "the boss" which makes getting time to train easier etc... I'm a crafty hoor really!

More like sounds to me that ye re bet down lads. Ye need to grow a pair and man up!!

Bingo

Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2015, 01:48:02 PM

More like sounds to me that ye re bet down lads. Ye need to grow a pair and man up!!

Pipe down or I'll send that to your missus.....

magpie seanie

Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2015, 01:48:02 PM

I know when to pick my battles....and who to pick them with!

moysider

I get away with murder cause the missus trains and does more events than I do.

larryin89

Complete novice here , been on the couch smokin fags for  near 20 years now . At the age of 37 this year I decided to quit the smokes and try to see if I could get some sort of level of fitness to prolong the life to 50 maybe to give me half a chance of seein Mayo lift sam.

Is there any advice I could get off Ye, I've started to do a bit  of running . Here's what I've found so far , on the road is the toughest , I seem to get a lot more out of myself doin laps of the pitch . Should I try to improve on distance each time or get faster with the distance im doing which is only at about 3 mile so far but I do believe I'm capable of improving on that each time. 

Don't be takin the piss now as this is daunting enough , people  don't realise how low on confidence you become for this sort of thing if you're so long out doing nothing of this nature.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

muppet

Quote from: larryin89 on February 03, 2015, 07:41:02 PM
Complete novice here , been on the couch smokin fags for  near 20 years now . At the age of 37 this year I decided to quit the smokes and try to see if I could get some sort of level of fitness to prolong the life to 50 maybe to give me half a chance of seein Mayo lift sam.

Is there any advice I could get off Ye, I've started to do a bit  of running . Here's what I've found so far , on the road is the toughest , I seem to get a lot more out of myself doin laps of the pitch . Should I try to improve on distance each time or get faster with the distance im doing which is only at about 3 mile so far but I do believe I'm capable of improving on that each time. 

Don't be takin the piss now as this is daunting enough , people  don't realise how low on confidence you become for this sort of thing if you're so long out doing nothing of this nature.

Try any of the free Apps for starters.

3m miles is 5k. Look at ParkRun.com and find the nearest one to you. Start doing it whenever you can and monitor your times.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

At only 37 you should be able to become a very decent runner. I was well in the 40s when I started back and still haven t jacked the fags fully.
Try going for longer and build up endurance. Also easier to run with somebody your own level. You ll push each other on and less inclined to stop and take a breather. A good watch as well so you can review your runs. I always write down what I do now as well. Makes it more interesting.

Orior

Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2015, 09:30:23 PM

At only 37 you should be able to become a very decent runner. I was well in the 40s when I started back and still haven t jacked the fags fully.
Try going for longer and build up endurance. Also easier to run with somebody your own level. You ll push each other on and less inclined to stop and take a breather. A good watch as well so you can review your runs. I always write down what I do now as well. Makes it more interesting.

I started before the days of gadgets and smart phones, and have about 20 years of data, on paper. Here is my analysis for 3 miles

Mins
     |
30 |                                                                                          ..
     |                                                              .........................../
     |                                ............................./
20 |           ..................../
     | ........./
     |
10 |
     |
     | __________________________________________________
     1990         1995           2000           2005          2010            2015

My main issue now is too many birthdays.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

CD

Quote from: Orior on February 03, 2015, 09:56:04 PM
Quote from: moysider on February 03, 2015, 09:30:23 PM

I started before the days of gadgets and smart phones, and have about 20 years of data, on paper. Here is my analysis for 3 miles

Mins
     |
30 |                                                                                          ..
     |                                                              .........................../
     |                                ............................./
20 |           ..................../
     | ........./
     |
10 |
     |
     | __________________________________________________
     1990         1995           2000           2005          2010            2015

My main issue now is too many birthdays.
started using my garmin for 5kms! In the past I just used it for longer runs and more to record distance. Using it to pace myself over 5k has helped me improve. Managed my fastest mile and fastest 5k today. I know I need to run the first mile in about 6.10 and then dig in for 2 miles if I'm going to hit pb territory. I then stick it all on the computer. Getting faster!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

leaveherinsir

Interesting reading about boys running 90 mile per month. I just started back a month ago after two years of very little exercise. I've only done 2 - 3 5k each week, all on treadmill mainly due to snow and the fact it gave me the confidence I could stop at anytime!! My first effort back was 5k in and around 30 mins with mostly jogging and bit of walking. Yesterday I "ran" 2.8 mile in 20 mins. Do u need the big miles or do shorter sharper runs suffice. My goal is 5k in under 20, don't want to go further as history of back problems prob won't allow me

johnneycool

Quote from: leaveherinsir on February 08, 2015, 10:58:16 AM
Interesting reading about boys running 90 mile per month. I just started back a month ago after two years of very little exercise. I've only done 2 - 3 5k each week, all on treadmill mainly due to snow and the fact it gave me the confidence I could stop at anytime!! My first effort back was 5k in and around 30 mins with mostly jogging and bit of walking. Yesterday I "ran" 2.8 mile in 20 mins. Do u need the big miles or do shorter sharper runs suffice. My goal is 5k in under 20, don't want to go further as history of back problems prob won't allow me

You see I'm the opposite, the treadmill was too handy to give in, so I took the doing circuits on the roads around home, once I'd got to midway there was no point stopping, just keep those wheels turning no matter how slowly till you get there. Not helped by the fact there's a pretty steep hill on the home straight to the house.

Mikhailov

You must have looked after yourself in your 2 year break from exercise. To go from 30min 5k to 20min 4.75k is good going in a matter of weeks. Surely the target of 5k in 20 mins will be easy for you to achieve.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Mikhailov on February 09, 2015, 03:06:43 PM

You must have looked after yourself in your 2 year break from exercise. To go from 30min 5k to 20min 4.75k is good going in a matter of weeks. Surely the target of 5k in 20 mins will be easy for you to achieve.
Pleasantly surprised at my base level of fitness. Non smoker and not the same opportunity for feeds of stout these days!! Still a fair bit to go to break the target tho. Have ran that time in the past so would be hopefully, but you need to be in fair shape to hit it!