Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

I've had a super month, really got onboard early and have ran at least 5 times a week, some weeks 6 but majority have been just 30 mins per day but quality - tempo, hill repeats, intervals and a few 5milers thrown in.

Have about 90 miles done in January.

The 30min programme finishing up this Friday and will start racing over 5km and 10km and build up the LSR on Sunday's again.

That's fair pegging BM but I'm sure that was a regular session for you and plenty of tough ones to come.

ballinaman

90 miles is a quality month with the different types of sessions thrown in too.
Races are the best way to get motivated and out because if you have something coming down the tracks at you, you'll get the work done.
Aye, felt good yesterday, so much so went on the rip last night and therefore the 16 mile run I had planned to do this morning didn't happen....not ideal prep for the half marathon on 22nd this month but I'll get back on the horse tomorrow!

moysider

Missed 4 days running at start of the month with cold and cough. Then I got 125 miles done up to the 25/01.
That's as good as it got. Hip flexor felt sore on long run and I was told to take it easy for 5/6 days and take some anti-inflams. Tried to do a few miles today but was sore after 2 miles. Fit to be tied as I ve a marathon in 6 weeks and a couple of long runs to do before taper. Is there any quick fix?

ballinaman

Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2015, 09:48:05 PM

Missed 4 days running at start of the month with cold and cough. Then I got 125 miles done up to the 25/01.
That's as good as it got. Hip flexor felt sore on long run and I was told to take it easy for 5/6 days and take some anti-inflams. Tried to do a few miles today but was sore after 2 miles. Fit to be tied as I ve a marathon in 6 weeks and a couple of long runs to do before taper. Is there any quick fix?
Obviously a full assessment would be better to see if there are any particular imbalances going on that may be contributing to the problem but for a start try these...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbu5RZhPbM for hip flexor, no pain when doing any stretching, just a gentle stretch.

And this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNUjWgsDts for the hamstrings, both sides. New research has shown that hamstrings being shortened have an affect on the opposite hip flexor, tilting the pelvis and therefore affecting the opposite hip flexor....

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on February 01, 2015, 09:53:49 PM

Obviously a full assessment would be better to see if there are any particular imbalances going on that may be contributing to the problem but for a start try these...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbu5RZhPbM for hip flexor, no pain when doing any stretching, just a gentle stretch.

And this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABNUjWgsDts for the hamstrings, both sides. New research has shown that hamstrings being shortened have an affect on the opposite hip flexor, tilting the pelvis and therefore affecting the opposite hip flexor....

Thanks ballinaman for that. I ll give then a go.

Yeah. There is an imbalance there. I m weaker in left glute area than the right. Might be a hangover from football days when my left leg was mostly for standing on :)  As a result I get tightness in hamstring and groin but never got so sore I had to stop running before.
Last year an osteopath corrected a glitch in my pelvis on the left side which improved things a lot but I could tell I was slipping back again even before I had this pull ( I did a slight splits while on a long run on a dodgy surface).

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: moysider on February 01, 2015, 10:30:22 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 01, 2015, 09:53:49 PM

Thanks ballinaman for that. I ll give then a go.

Yeah. There is an imbalance there. I m weaker in left glute area than the right. Might be a hangover from football days when my left leg was mostly for standing on :)  As a result I get tightness in hamstring and groin but never got so sore I had to stop running before.
Last year an osteopath corrected a glitch in my pelvis on the left side which improved things a lot but I could tell I was slipping back again even before I had this pull ( I did a slight splits while on a long run on a dodgy surface).

you need to train the glutes to fire properly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5kUsOQWKjo
the likes of that will help

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2015, 08:22:04 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on January 31, 2015, 11:55:24 AM
3.5 mile run to park,
16.53 parkrun will loads of juice in the tank left, tried to keep splits even.
3.5 mile run home.

Handy way to use parkruns as tempo sessions if you are withink 3/4 mile of route.

Interesting article here about how the time of the event can affect performance, goes along with what tommy mentioned a few months ago that early morning races are more difficult. So bare in mind with regards to marathon training, get your long runs in at a similar time to when the actual races starts.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/01/29/for-athletes-the-time-of-an-event-can-affect-performance/?_r=0&referrer

Some going that.

I am struggling for motivation as well. Signed up for a 10k in a few weeks so hopefully the 'thickness' Seanie refers to will return.

January was slow to start, got going ok in the middle (at a struggle) but then tanked towards the end. Have a few things niggling at me that I can't seem to shift and work has been absolutely crazy. February will have to be the new January! Thinking of the Achill half marathon in early July. Supposed to be a tough one but I'd be confident that all half marathons are tough! That would leave me in good nick to really improve my Warriors Run time in August.

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2015, 03:49:50 PM
3.5 mile run to park,
3.5 mile run home.

Handy way to use parkruns as tempo sessions if you are withink 3/4 mile of route.

Interesting article here about how the time of the event can affect performance, goes along with what tommy mentioned a few months ago that early morning races are more difficult. So bare in mind with regards to marathon training, get your long runs in at a similar time to when the actual races starts.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/01/29/for-athletes-the-time-of-an-event-can-affect-performance/?_r=0&referrer

Some going that.

I am struggling for motivation as well. Signed up for a 10k in a few weeks so hopefully the 'thickness' Seanie refers to will return.

January was slow to start, got going ok in the middle (at a struggle) but then tanked towards the end. Have a few things niggling at me that I can't seem to shift and work has been absolutely crazy. February will have to be the new January! Thinking of the Achill half marathon in early July. Supposed to be a tough one but I'd be confident that all half marathons are tough! That would leave me in good nick to really improve my Warriors Run time in August.

Achill not a place for a pb. Done it a few times and would be about 3 mins off a flatter half.
Tough route with a long drag at the start and a killer hill at mile 11. But there is a middle part where you can open the throttle.
Well organised - if somewhat pricey for a 1/2 - and of course beautifully scenic. If that s any consolation when your about to calve.

giveherlong

Lads anyone know of any 400 metres routes or laps in north belfast, cave hill Antrim road area?
I see boys model has a 400m track, what would the chances be of getting a few laps on it at lunch time?

take_yer_points

Quote from: giveherlong on February 02, 2015, 10:38:37 PM
Lads anyone know of any 400 metres routes or laps in north belfast, cave hill Antrim road area?
I see boys model has a 400m track, what would the chances be of getting a few laps on it at lunch time?

Do you need exactly 400m? I'd say a lap of the bottom lake in the waterworks wouldn't be far off 400m. I should be round it at the weekend if you want me to check it on runkeeper?

giveherlong

Just checked a lap of waterworks is 1.4km

take_yer_points

Quote from: giveherlong on February 03, 2015, 09:57:29 AM
Just checked a lap of waterworks is 1.4km

That's the whole thing. Try the bottom lake. The park run start is marked out - a full lap round that would be about 400m

giveherlong

Spot on, it's 420 metres

take_yer_points

Quote from: giveherlong on February 03, 2015, 10:29:41 AM
Spot on, it's 420 metres

Sounds like your GPS is about 20 metres out  ;)

That's good to know - might use that bottom lap a bit more now

magpie seanie

Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2015, 08:07:43 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 02, 2015, 03:49:50 PM
3.5 mile run to park,
3.5 mile run home.

Some going that.

Achill not a place for a pb. Done it a few times and would be about 3 mins off a flatter half.
Tough route with a long drag at the start and a killer hill at mile 11. But there is a middle part where you can open the throttle.
Well organised - if somewhat pricey for a 1/2 - and of course beautifully scenic. If that s any consolation when your about to calve.

Thanks for the info Moysider. IfWhen I do it then it will be a PB anyway - haven't ran over 10 miles yet. Benefits for me with Achill is that we might make a weekend of it with the kids so that gets buy in from "the boss" which makes getting time to train easier etc... I'm a crafty hoor really!