Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Is he the glaslough guy Bingo?

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2014, 09:58:05 AM
Is he the glaslough guy Bingo?

That is him, runs for Glaslough Harriers. Relatively new to running, the first year we ran the 5km was Dec 2012 and it was his first race. Massive progress since.

imtommygunn

Yeah I've seen the guy about cross country races before. Very good runner. Didn't realise he'd got to u23 international standard. u23 standard is generally pretty high too for those europeans. The standard of that inter counties race they use as qualifying for it is frightening.

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2014, 10:25:16 AM
Yeah I've seen the guy about cross country races before. Very good runner. Didn't realise he'd got to u23 international standard. u23 standard is generally pretty high too for those europeans. The standard of that inter counties race they use as qualifying for it is frightening.

Yeah, one of the lads went up to watch it in Dundalk a few weeks back and he said it was unreal. Guys we'd know from races and would be away out of our league were plodding along middle of the field in that race. Another step up in class altogether.

Conor made the top 20 in it, finishing 4th in the U23 field. He made the squad on the basis that the US based college runners were ruled out.

charlieTully

Quote from: CD on November 30, 2014, 09:29:19 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 29, 2014, 10:18:14 PM
Quote from: CD on November 29, 2014, 09:53:48 PM
Brilliant running muppet and ballinaman! Sub 17 5km is brutal! I don't think it would ever be possible to shift that fast. Ran Seeley Cup in Belfast today. Good event but I don't like the 3 laps idea! Set a pb of 42.30. Happy enough with that as a marker for next year- love to go under 41 and then aim for sub 40! Made good progress this year. Took my 5k from 24 to sub 20 and my 10 from 50 to 42.30. Ran my first half marathon in 1.40 and got to 21miles in my marathon training before injury set me back. For my first year running, I've gone way beyond my expectations. Next year, run the half marathon series and complete 3 marathons.

Done the seeley cup myself.  53.40 which is a pb for me so very happy with that.

Well done CT - I enjoyed it - I see there are loads of pictures of it here
https://www.facebook.com/mark.ramsey.52?fref=ts

fantastic year you have had CD. Are you doing Belfast marathon?

CD

Quote from: charlieTully on December 02, 2014, 08:42:03 PM
Brilliant running muppet and ballinaman! Sub 17 5km is brutal! I don't think it would ever be possible to shift that fast. Ran Seeley Cup in Belfast today. Good event but I don't like the 3 laps idea! Set a pb of 42.30. Happy enough with that as a marker for next year- love to go under 41 and then aim for sub 40! Made good progress this year. Took my 5k from 24 to sub 20 and my 10 from 50 to 42.30. Ran my first half marathon in 1.40 and got to 21miles in my marathon training before injury set me back. For my first year running, I've gone way beyond my expectations. Next year, run the half marathon series and complete 3 marathons.

Done the seeley cup myself.  53.40 which is a pb for me so very happy with that.

It's definitely on the radar - just a case of staying injury free. Just going to run Wednesday and Saturday for the next four weeks to rest a wee bit, then step it up again after Christmas with an eye on a marathon in the late spring. How about you? Any plans for it?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

charlieTully

Quote from: CD on December 02, 2014, 08:55:03 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 02, 2014, 08:42:03 PM

It's definitely on the radar - just a case of staying injury free. Just going to run Wednesday and Saturday for the next four weeks to rest a wee bit, then step it up again after Christmas with an eye on a marathon in the late spring. How about you? Any plans for it?

Yeah. I have entered it. Feel sick with nerves even thinking about it but I'm going to give it a lash. I'm not thinking of times or anything, would just be delighted to complete it. Have been going out twice a week with the local running club and feeling a good benefit from it. Doing a bit on my own too. Get stuck in properly Jan. 

ballinaman

Jeeze, am shook after that.
Have been training with the university club since september......said I'd go down to the local running club tonight (Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets) for a session on the same track the University uses...
Few GB lads and low 14 min 5K runners, about 40 in the group...all ages and abilities and all had to do the same session.
Session was, 800m jog....4 x 100 m strides

1200m at 10K pace with 1st 100m flat out to mimic start of a race/cross country to get position
70sec break
400m at 3K pace with 1st 100m flat out again...
60sec break

x 5 sets...
Was able to hold my own in the 400m, 63s but they were gone in the 1200s....unreal stuff, stride length and cadence on a different level...great to see it up close....

Absolutely fcuked now though!

imtommygunn

Quote from: ballinaman on December 02, 2014, 10:02:25 PM
Have been training with the university club since september......said I'd go down to the local running club tonight (Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets) for a session on the same track the University uses...
Few GB lads and low 14 min 5K runners, about 40 in the group...all ages and abilities and all had to do the same session.

1200m at 10K pace with 1st 100m flat out to mimic start of a race/cross country to get position
70sec break
60sec break

x 5 sets...
Was able to hold my own in the 400m, 63s but they were gone in the 1200s....unreal stuff, stride length and cadence on a different level...great to see it up close....

Ouch. That's all good stuff. Stay injury free and you'll take big chunks of your times!

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2014, 10:29:05 PM

70sec break
60sec break

x 5 sets...

Ouch. That's all good stuff. Stay injury free and you'll take big chunks of your times!
Am in till 8 after Christmas so won't be able to get down to them unfortunately...will tip down again next Tuesday hopefully.
Was hilarious, was like a flash mob of runners at 7.25....people breathing down your neck on every rep when it started! Be sore tomorrow...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on December 02, 2014, 10:35:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on December 02, 2014, 10:29:05 PM

70sec break
60sec break

x 5 sets...

Am in till 8 after Christmas so won't be able to get down to them unfortunately...will tip down again next Tuesday hopefully.
Was hilarious, was like a flash mob of runners at 7.25....people breathing down your neck on every rep when it started! Be sore tomorrow...

Which begs the question, does working on the technique, cadence and breathing bring much more improvement than just heading out on your own (and working to internet training plans) than with these running clubs?  I haven't improved one bit in last year or so, while I've probably only run about 12 miles a week I haven't really got below 1.38 for half 42min for ten or in a 5K race below 20 (have managed it in a non race)

Hard to prioritize things nowadays, running at a decent level (like most things) is being done by the youth (under 30 ;) )

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

70sec break
60sec break

x 5 sets...

Good tight stuff when you're in with that quality.

What distance was the session aimed at? 5k - 10k distance or up to half marsthon? Or just a general blow out for a range of runners?

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on December 02, 2014, 11:05:20 PM
Good tight stuff when you're in with that quality.

What distance was the session aimed at? 5k - 10k distance or up to half marsthon? Or just a general blow out for a range of runners?
Ya, bit of a general distance session once a week....top lads have their own stuff to do during the week. It's a good idea though to develop a bit of club mentality to get everyone training together, rather than top lads off by themselves never interacting with the rest of the club. Good boost to know you doing same session as the fast lads...
Serious depth of talent though....a lad, early 60's/late 50's took me on the last 1200m rep...ridiculous stuff!

Denn Forever

I've narrowed the required scope of the Christmas Present to clothing. 

What are the must haves for running in the clothing line?  Do you need rain coat/windcheater?  I've heard Layers mentioned.  What this comprise of?  Are any branded clothes suitable or what are the best?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bingo

I may have mentioned it before but the club run an annual get fit programme called Operation TransFaughmation. It has proved to be massively successful for the club in terms of been a fundraiser but also for the work it has done in the community and people it has attracted to the club and goodwill in community it has created. Its basically a 12 week programme the finished with the 5km run - 12 weeks with a circuit class on Tuesday, bootcamp/yoga/boxercise etc on a Friday and running group on Sunday (with a couch to 5km or a further group for people past that).

We have won several awares for this programme - GAA and Non-Gaa. It also led us to be one of the GAA's 18 healthy clubs which they using to develop a health and wellbeing programme and this has won major praise.

They sent down a TV crew to put together a clip that is to be rolled out nationwide to encourage clubs to go down this route.

This is the clip that was debuted last night at the County GAA. I was left on the editing room  floor......thankfully  ;)

Anyways, have look for yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgKmSdmfHvg&feature=youtu.be