Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 28, 2014, 11:04:19 AM
Best of luck tomorrow Muppet.
Not going to make it myself as I have too much work to finish.

Cheers.

Weather forecast looks good so no excuses. I must say I am enjoying this tapering lark.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Flooding on the route!

MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Meant to say if anyone wants to use my race number tomorrow send me a pm. I haven't collected it yet but you could collect it tomorrow yourself and I'll send you on my details.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Jeeze, that the sand road down to dollymount muppet with the elevated walkway to the right? Bumpy enough at the best of times!

I'm going to give 17 a crack in a park run tomorrow...have a few sharp turns and a hairpin turn to navigate 3 times so it won't be easy. It's a 3 lap course so last lap you're lapping people and it can be hard sometimes to get a clean run at it. 17.12 six weeks ago and came back 2 weeks later and went out too hard and paid for it big time and came in 17.13 struggling. Fierce hard to take time off short races. No room for error whatsoever....

imtommygunn

Best way to take time off is lightweight racing shoes but guessing you have those already!

parkrun too early in the morning for fast stuff...

Good luck muppet.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 28, 2014, 04:25:03 PM
Best way to take time off is lightweight racing shoes but guessing you have those already!

parkrun too early in the morning for fast stuff...

Good luck muppet.

Cheers.

Ballinaman I reckon I couldn't finish 1k at the pace you are doing 5ks!
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Good luck muppet, no bother to ya..it'll be tough but it'll be worth it!
Good stuff tommy, you tipping under 17 these days?

laoislad

Well Muppet how did you get on?

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 29, 2014, 05:07:22 PM

Broke 1:50!

There was a long time on the sand which was a bit different for me. It sloped slightly towards the sea and loads runners seemed to drift with the slope towards the wet sand which didn't look good for running. I stayed high on the sand, even if it mean running on my own for while but I got a decent surface to run on.

Full of running at the end as well. I obviously didn't know what to expect so the fact that I seemed to pace it right was a bit of a fluke. Also, it was quite tight at times (no road closures) so that probably stopped me from overdoing it early on.

Very happy with it though. Pity you couldn't make it.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on November 29, 2014, 05:16:31 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 29, 2014, 05:07:22 PM

Broke 1:50!

There was a long time on the sand which was a bit different for me. It sloped slightly towards the sea and loads runners seemed to drift with the slope towards the wet sand which didn't look good for running. I stayed high on the sand, even if it mean running on my own for while but I got a decent surface to run on.

Full of running at the end as well. I obviously didn't know what to expect so the fact that I seemed to pace it right was a bit of a fluke. Also, it was quite tight at times (no road closures) so that probably stopped me from overdoing it early on.

Very happy with it though. Pity you couldn't make it.

That's fantastic fair play to you!
I knew you would be nearer to 1:50 than 2hrs!
Delighted for you.

laoislad

Well done to ballinaman also on his sub 17min 5k today.
Some going!

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 29, 2014, 05:33:27 PM
Well done to ballinaman also on his sub 17min 5k today.
Some going!

That is some running from where I am sitting. Well done.
MWWSI 2017

ballinaman

Brilliant muppet, great stuff..just shows you what can be done! That route is narrow enough too with the crowds I reckon.

Sound LL...mentally tough today because was out in front from the whistle, easy to lose concentration and then you're gone if you're going for a time. Just tried to relax and control breathing as much as could, if start grabbing for air you can loose rhythm..

ballinaman

Haha...stop. Be hard to top the pain levels that day I tells ya..jeeze. Just making each session count, quality not quantity and wait for it...wait for it..staying injury free.

CD

Brilliant running muppet and ballinaman! Sub 17 5km is brutal! I don't think it would ever be possible to shift that fast. Ran Seeley Cup in Belfast today. Good event but I don't like the 3 laps idea! Set a pb of 42.30. Happy enough with that as a marker for next year- love to go under 41 and then aim for sub 40! Made good progress this year. Took my 5k from 24 to sub 20 and my 10 from 50 to 42.30. Ran my first half marathon in 1.40 and got to 21miles in my marathon training before injury set me back. For my first year running, I've gone way beyond my expectations. Next year, run the half marathon series and complete 3 marathons.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!