Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Can't wear those base layers at all. Grand for first mile or two but then all I feel like doing is taking them off as I'm too warm wearing them.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

I don't mind wearing a top, in fact if it's a long slow run a good warm top is needed on days like today. Have never tried the leggings and probably won't.

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 26, 2014, 12:10:52 PM
I don't mind wearing a top, in fact if it's a long slow run a good warm top is needed on days like today. Have never tried the leggings and probably won't.
Agreed, don't think I could ever go for the leggins either...

Bingo

Have to admit to wearing the leggings in the past but can't remember the last time I used them. Haven't this year and only used them the odd time last winter when it was very cold and a longer run was planned or was heading up a hill/mountain.

Nothing wrong with them really and if in a group, you'll not stand out. If they serve a purpose fair enough, why not use them.

Plus your arse looks cracking in them  ;)  ;D

laoislad

Easy to tell who has the cushy office jobs and who is used to the cold from working outside a lot!

Bingo

Quote from: laoislad on November 26, 2014, 01:16:21 PM
Easy to tell who has the cushy office jobs and who is used to the cold from working outside a lot!

In our 19th century building? I went outside there at lunchtime to warm up!!

moysider

Quote from: laoislad on November 26, 2014, 09:02:07 AM
Can't wear those base layers at all. Grand for first mile or two but then all I feel like doing is taking them off as I'm too warm wearing them.

Agree. Feel like I m wrapped in cling film when I warm up. I m a sweater and I prefer a long sleeved running top and gloves in cold conditions. I hardly ever bother with leggings. No issue with them though.

An Gaeilgoir

Something that i am involved in putting together;

We are a local group setting up a new sporting event (The great lakes challenge Series).It is a unique series of running/walking races open to all abilities to take place in Co. Mayo and Co. Galway in 2015.

In each of these events there will be a recording of peoples' best 1km time over each event leading for the person with the fastest 1km time over the five events winning the overall prize.  Mayo/ Roscommon Hospice, Mayo Sports Partnership, Run Ireland and several local businesses are coming on board with us.

The dates for the series are as follows;

Dates                           Venue                           Distance
22nd February            Tourmakeady                 8k  (Through the Tourmakeady woods and around the waterfall, a stunning route).
1st March                    Clonbur                       10k
7th March                    Carnacon                    10k
21st March                  Claremorris                 10k
18th April                     Ballinrobe                   10k

you can find us on facebook (great lakes challenge series) or register on runireland.com. Reduced price and a technical t-shirt if you book all five events.

muppet

Great idea, good luck with it.

I might try to get down for one or two.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Good stuff and seems like a decent idea. Are they all trail runs round lakes/forest parks or are they road races?

Your dates are fairly close together. Good for getting it out of the way and not clogging up the calendar with other events but might rule out the social/beginner runner who might be fearful of committing to it all. depends on the target audience though.

Out of interest, how is the fastest 1km time been recorded? Is their a timing mat at each 1km marker?

Would like to see that locally at that time of the year. Any franchises going for the North East?

An Gaeilgoir

The Tourmakeady, Claremorris and Ballinrobe races will be trail runs, we are chip timing all the races, and each race picks what kilometer they want to time, it will be done using the chip as well. It is like a race within a race, we are hoping to add a few more catagories to the 1k section, most improved time, fastest average over the five races and so on. We specifically chose to run the events off quickly, keeps the interest up and a lot of other events will be going on March/April time too. The local radio and papers are putting together weekly training programmes and we are also hoping to tie into operation transformation groups around the area. Launch will be early Janurary in Claremorris, we are hoping to get a few football/soccer/rugby/ celebrity heads out to set some 1k times. Willie Joe Padden and John Maughan have already committed to it. Should be good craic.

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 27, 2014, 04:26:59 PM
The Tourmakeady, Claremorris and Ballinrobe races will be trail runs, we are chip timing all the races, and each race picks what kilometer they want to time, it will be done using the chip as well. It is like a race within a race, we are hoping to add a few more catagories to the 1k section, most improved time, fastest average over the five races and so on. We specifically chose to run the events off quickly, keeps the interest up and a lot of other events will be going on March/April time too. The local radio and papers are putting together weekly training programmes and we are also hoping to tie into operation transformation groups around the area. Launch will be early Janurary in Claremorris, we are hoping to get a few football/soccer/rugby/ celebrity heads out to set some 1k times. Willie Joe Padden and John Maughan have already committed to it. Should be good craic.

Fair play and that makes sense. I'm sure you's have put a lot of work and thought into it, so don't mind me silly questions  ;) Race in a race is a good novelty idea and keeps the interest for everyone.

Best of look with it.

laoislad

Best of luck tomorrow Muppet.
Not going to make it myself as I have too much work to finish.