Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Anyone able to tell me what I should do this week and next week for my first half marathon (on the 29th Nov)? I haven't been following a plan as I didn't know if I would be doing it or not..

I did the distance a month ago and did a comfortable 10 miles on last Friday night. So I am thinking only 1 more run around 10 miles, say in the next few days and then a few short ones?

In particular what are the big no-nos that I should avoid?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

What time you aiming for Muppet?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Quote from: muppet on November 17, 2014, 06:45:53 PM
Anyone able to tell me what I should do this week and next week for my first half marathon (on the 29th Nov)? I haven't been following a plan as I didn't know if I would be doing it or not..

I did the distance a month ago and did a comfortable 10 miles on last Friday night. So I am thinking only 1 more run around 10 miles, say in the next few days and then a few short ones?

Aye, sounds like a reasonable plan. Even a 7 on Wednesday this week, 4 or 5 on Thursday/Friday, Saturday Off and an 11-12 on Sunday.

Rest on the Monday, 6 Tuesday, 5 Wednesday, 4 Thursday and Off the Friday the day before.
Very broad outline there with no idea of pacing obviously!

Milltown Row2

At least the warm weather won't cause any hassle for you lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on November 17, 2014, 07:59:42 PM

Aye, sounds like a reasonable plan. Even a 7 on Wednesday this week, 4 or 5 on Thursday/Friday, Saturday Off and an 11-12 on Sunday.

Rest on the Monday, 6 Tuesday, 5 Wednesday, 4 Thursday and Off the Friday the day before.

Cheers, all of that might be a little too much for me. I'll do as you say this week. Sunday will be the day after the rugby so there is as much chance of me coming on for Mike Ross on Saturday as there is of me doing 11-12 miles on Sunday.  :D

I might run Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday then 2 days off maybe?

Pacing will be along the lines of my currents runs. i.e. I have absolutely no idea what will happen until I get to about 5k, then the legs let me know. I hope to be close to or break 2 hours though.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on November 17, 2014, 09:01:59 PM

Cheers, all of that might be a little too much for me. I'll do as you say this week. Sunday will be the day after the rugby so there is as much chance of me coming on for Mike Ross on Saturday as there is of me doing 11-12 miles on Sunday.  :D

Pacing will be along the lines of my currents runs. i.e. I have absolutely no idea what will happen until I get to about 5k, then the legs let me know. I hope to be close to or break 2 hours though.
Pretty sure they are going to have pacers at the race so might be handy for you if you want to break 2hrs to follow the 2hr pacer.
Still dunno if I am going to be able do it. Would love to as I hear it's very flat!

ballinaman

You know yourself and see how you are feeling after the weekend is the best way to gauge it so! No bother to ya!

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 17, 2014, 09:12:06 PM

Pretty sure they are going to have pacers at the race so might be handy for you if you want to break 2hrs to follow the 2hr pacer.
Still dunno if I am going to be able do it. Would love to as I hear it's very flat!

The 5 mile is completely flat and the half just follows the coast out towards Howth before turning back so there are no hills there. I think some of the half may be along the beach so that might be a drag for a bit.

MWWSI 2017

moysider

The 1:50 crowd won t be hanging about at the start. You don t want to burn out the legs early and hanging in the last few miles.

laoislad

Just don't start off at your 5k pace and you'll be fine !

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 18, 2014, 09:52:02 PM

You sorted for it yet?
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2014, 09:54:11 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 18, 2014, 09:52:02 PM

You sorted for it yet?
Dunno how I'm fixed yet.
Started a fairly big contract there last week and under a bit a pressure to get a certain amount done in November,so will have to see how I'm fixed on Friday week and how much I've done and if I need to work the Saturday of the race.
I've done feck all running this month though so I'm hoping the marathon training fitness is still there!
I've already put up 6lbs since the marathon finished.

Milltown Row2

You'll be grand Muppet, half marathon is well within the distance of not fecking losing it. I stayed in front of the pacers I was using at Lisburn half and found I was getting stronger as the race unfolded.

As long as you have prepared (to a degree) you'll be grand and even surprise yourself. I found I was actually sprinting the last 2 miles (quickest miles I did whole race) and beat my pb by 5 odd minutes.

I got early to the event, did a half mile warm up with stretching and got in line early, the starting can be a feck up, too many people run off way to quick, if you have a Garmin/GPS watch then pace yourself early and you'll be grand, but be disciplined. and as Moysider said once you feel stronger kick on.

Need a fecking target myself, just too fecking busy

Good luck, half marathons suit me better with my wee legs!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

So it would appear I'm for Berlin next September for the marathon. Successful in the ballot entry.

There goes the no marathon plan in 2015  ;D

mb80b60

Quote from: Bingo on November 20, 2014, 12:34:29 PM
So it would appear I'm for Berlin next September for the marathon. Successful in the ballot entry.

There goes the no marathon plan in 2015  ;D

Myself and a friend have also been successful :)

Have you many marathons under the belt?  I've never done one before, but I intend to do at least one before then.