Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2014, 09:36:14 AM
Giving the Poppintree Park Run a shot tomorrow. Not sure where I will be time wised but hopeful I'll do something decent.
Fair play you'll be grand.
Going to do one myself tomorrow. Either Lucan or Marlay park haven't decided yet.
Going on beer to watch match tonight so I won't be expecting any great times myself tomorrow.!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bridgegael

When you lads trained for the marathon, when you were doing say your 17/20 mile runs did you do one one long run or or say 2 laps of 8/10mile if you know what i mean.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

laoislad

I tried not to do laps/loops as much as I could.
It's hard finding a 20mile route where you don't double back on yourself at some stage though.
I often even just ran on the other side of the road coming back just to take the monotony out of it.
The problem I found also is I often miscalculated the route and still had a mile or two left to get home after the distance I intended to do was complete.

CD

Quote from: bridgegael on November 14, 2014, 03:42:59 PM
When you lads trained for the marathon, when you were doing say your 17/20 mile runs did you do one one long run or or say 2 laps of 8/10mile if you know what i mean.
I always lapped or did figure 8s or clovers with a central point where I'd leave water, gels, bananas etc. it always gave me something to look forward to and I hate carrying things when I'm running. Took a bit more planning on gbmapometer!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

magpie seanie

26:04 by my watch for the Poppintree parkrun. 2 seconds outside my pb. Thought I would nip under 26 but not to be. Improving but a long way to go to take 1:05 off that.

Lovely flat course. Well marshalled.

laoislad

Good stuff ms. Keep at it and that time will come down no bother. The park runs are fantastic.
Banging hangover for me this morning so didn't bother going  to my local one myself.

charlieTully

what distances should you start taking gels or drinks etc during a run, ive only ran ten ks and only took a few sips of water, im doing eight miles now which i hope to build on?

imtommygunn

I would have said it's more time based charlie. An hour and a half i think is a good barometer.

magpie seanie

Guys - you know these race calculators which tell you what time you should be able to do based on a time you have done - are they realistic? Not sure myself.

dec

Predicting a marathon time based on a 5K time is probably not going to be that accurate. Predicting a 10 mile race time based on a 10K is probably going to be close.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: charlieTully on November 15, 2014, 10:57:56 AM
what distances should you start taking gels or drinks etc during a run, ive only ran ten ks and only took a few sips of water, im doing eight miles now which i hope to build on?

Any distance over half marathon you'd take gels, prefer sweets myself
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2014, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on November 15, 2014, 10:57:56 AM

Any distance over half marathon you'd take gels, prefer sweets myself
Did u Tollymore today MR? One of those half marathons I'm told feels more like 16! Slowly recovering from injury myself. Might look to Seeley cup to see how the ankle is.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Didn't go. I'm away in England work till March. Home weekends so cant really do much. Bit disappointed as friends all done it and loved it ffs.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2014, 01:45:03 PM
Guys - you know these race calculators which tell you what time you should be able to do based on a time you have done - are they realistic? Not sure myself.

McMillan is accurate except for the Marathon I found.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2014, 10:34:25 AM
26:04 by my watch for the Poppintree parkrun. 2 seconds outside my pb. Thought I would nip under 26 but not to be. Improving but a long way to go to take 1:05 off that.

Lovely flat course. Well marshalled.

Flat, might check that out when I get a chance. Malahide is nice but a couple of small hills, particularly up to the finish. St. Annes has only one little hill but it knocks you out of your stride the second time over it.

The 25 mins will come quicker than you think. And then you will immediately be thinking 24!
MWWSI 2017