Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2014, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2014, 08:29:18 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 30, 2014, 03:15:25 PM
Guys - am due a new pair of runners. Have been wearing Asics Gel Virage without issue. I love them. Looking them up on the web it says they are designed for moderate overpronators and have a lot of support. My ankles wouldn't be the best from multiple sprains etc over the years playing gaelic football and soccer so the support is welcome. Not sure about the overpronation though. Where can I get a gait analysis done and is it necessary? Am I overthinking this - should I just stick with the brand that I have happily used before? Also, am heading to the the US in about 6 weeks so would it be better to hold off and buy new the new wheels over there?

So you have been wearing shoes designed for overpronation without ever having been screened? You may not overpronate at all?

Anyway you can get screened in minutes at amphipian king. Some Evelry stores do it too but don t know what quality is like. Mind you I got myself screened again last spring and told I was overpronating. I expressed surprise because I was screened normal in the past. Anyway it was double checked and  turned out that they got the film confused with the screening my missus had done before me, so mistakes can happen.
As regards runners I ve used several types over last 5-6 years. Sometimes using different ones from day to day with no ill effect. If you get used to a particular runner you ll probably think it s great but there may be others would suit you better/just as well.
In the last few years I ve worn Pearl Izumi, Brooks, Adidas, Saucony, Mizumo, Asics and Nike.The Asics were the only ones I didn t like.

I ve ran the last 3 DMs in 3 different makes of runner Adidas, Saucony and the last one in Nike Lunarglide 5.
Anyway back on the road just there. Got 6 miles done and moving parts back working again

Yeah. When I bought them I was just getting started from literally never doing any running at all. Saw this pair of Asics at a good price and got them.

Thanks for the replies, food for thought.

Might be harsh, but Asics are the VW Golf of runners. Sound but nothing special. If they were at a good price it is possibly because they were for a particular type of runner (pronator) and hard to move on. Most runners are normal but sometimes it seems ( possible not any more) that small independent shops were loaded with support runners at reduced rates. Normal runners ended up in unsuitable runners that caused issues in knees etc. because they were getting a cheaper runner.  Also pronating runners were using normal runners when they needed support. You may have been lucky and got a runner that suited you!

ballinaman

Re running shoes : I would be very wary of listening to some buck in elverys ect. No more "gait analysis" that I'm shep the dog. Podiatry has a fair bit more in it than that. Had a lecture from the Chelsea podiatrist yesterday, serious operator.
Running shoe manufacture is a multi billion euro industry so obviously it's in their interests to peddle different types of shoes but research is showing that any pronation control from a runner is tiny, force you put through your foot during contact with the ground is much higher than what a shoe can control. Pronation is a vital part of gait so unless yours is completely gross, ie..arch collapsing hugely and medial side of your ankle is nearly touching the ground then you'll be fine in whatever shoe you find comfortable. Watched slow motion analysis of top African marathon runners...ankles all over the shop but hey that's how they ran and were functional with no issues, no need to mess with them.
I'm in the Asics GT2000s...standard middle of road support and cushioning shoe but plenty others of similar ilk.

Savage reports lads. Mighty stuff...was like mission control with the amount of screens I had open tracking people!

laoislad

Half marathon in Clontarf at end of month Muppet.
Thinking of doing it myself.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on November 02, 2014, 04:29:02 PM

I did their 5 mile earlier in the year and enjoyed it. If I am off from work I hope to do it. Won't know about work for a week or so.
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on November 02, 2014, 04:29:02 PM

Might take you 2.30 hours though ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

I bought a Garmin 610 off eBay today for €88.
They're selling for over €200 here still.
Anyone got one? I'm guessing all Garmins are pretty much decent.

laoislad

Feckin hell BM that's some time. Is that a PB?

MiltownRow is always challenging lads to races on here maybe he should race you  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on November 02, 2014, 08:23:44 PM
Feckin hell BM that's some time. Is that a PB?

MiltownRow is always challenging lads to races on here maybe he should race you  ;D

Haven't challenged anyone. I've still to beat my official 20min 5k yet, have done it as part of a 10k race but I'll get there  ;) BM would beat most on here. Only a bitta craic keep your knickers on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

johnneycool

went for a 10 mile run on Saturday, a few miles more than I'd normally run and whilst the legs were sore, just purely fatigue, I've got an awful pain down the outside of my left foot, just below the ankle and would have trouble putting full weight on that foot.
There's a bit of bruising showing now as well, what would cause that? I'm blaming the camber of the roads.

mb80b60

I also went for my first ever 10 mile run on Saturday.  Building up the distances week on week.  I've entered the ballot for the Berlin marathon so hopefully I'm successful.

Has anyone done Edinburgh?

imtommygunn

Have you got any ankle issues JC? Almost sounds like you twisted it or something? What are your trainers like?

MB I know a few who have done Edinburgh and speak very highly of it. Supposed to be a very fast course (fastest in UK).

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 04, 2014, 10:48:41 AM
Have you got any ankle issues JC? Almost sounds like you twisted it or something? What are your trainers like?

MB I know a few who have done Edinburgh and speak very highly of it. Supposed to be a very fast course (fastest in UK).

Ankles are the only thing to not have taken a battering over the years strangely enough.

I do get a numbness in my feet, but I always get that even back in the day, bad circulation and flat footed I was once told.

imtommygunn

What are your trainers like? They more run down on one shoe than the other? I wouldn't have thought camber on the road would cause that...

Numbness in feet usually attributed to sciatica type issues.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on November 03, 2014, 04:16:54 PM

Its a good thing they don't run marathons in warmer countries