Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

Imtommygun, was following the P&D 12 week 55mile programme but did change a bit this year with more MP miles and less speed work.

I missed one 20 mile run but did do a 19 instead  :P Ran out of time that morning rather than legs. I had 20x 2 and a 21 mile last year. This year I'd have 20 and 19.

Cheers BM, i'll build that into the next few weeks and its much as the P&D plane outlines, same days running rather than cutting out days as some plans do. I'll likely wait till Friday and make a call. 4 miles recovery tonight and then 8 miles in the morning.

I haven't started looking at the weather forecast yet, I swear  :-[

ballinaman

Beer mile in 7.34.
Didn't puke...horrendously hard!

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on October 08, 2014, 11:20:17 PM
Beer mile in 7.34.

Fair play to ya for completing it without puking. The video of the guy doing it under 5 mins (the world record) was just ridiculous. What size are the cans of beer? What are the tips for getting it down quick? I know a guy who is mad to have a crack at it.

ballinaman

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 09, 2014, 09:54:22 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 08, 2014, 11:20:17 PM
Beer mile in 7.34.

Fair play to ya for completing it without puking. The video of the guy doing it under 5 mins (the world record) was just ridiculous. What size are the cans of beer? What are the tips for getting it down quick? I know a guy who is mad to have a crack at it.
Watched that on youtube yesterday, unreal. He had the baby size cans though....had to do with with those 440ml ones they have over here last night. There were about 50 in the race, I'm terrible at downing stuff so lost loads of time drinking. Tried to slow down about a 50m from the end of each lap to control the breathing so would be able to drink.Came 3rd over all, there was a guy in a lion suit ahead of me for the first 2 laps and was like fcuk this shit, not getting beaten by a lad in fancy dress!...
In the words of Stand By Me the movie, it was a total barf-o-rama....lads fulling puking and running at the same time, hilarious.

imtommygunn

Pollock did it in 5:40 or something like that (might even have been 5:20).

They did it up here on the local track but weren't supposed to be on it. A few boys put the photos on facebook and they were friends with some officials. Next thing a comment from officials - "guys when was this". Photos quickly went down!

Can't be good for you...

No1

Quote from: muppet on October 05, 2014, 10:13:48 PM
Quote from: No1 on October 05, 2014, 09:43:54 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2014, 05:39:42 PM
the wobbler your goals are 10k sub 50 mins and then 10k sub 44 mins.

I will gladly pay you for any advice as to how to knock 6 mins off a 10k time!

Not as smart as thewobbler but for what it's worth my first 10k was 56 mins and I thought I was close to death after that! My PB 2 years later was 43 odds, and the reason for that was tempo runs once a week and interval training once every two weeks. f**king horrible when you are doing them but the tempo runs sort you out big style. By no means am I an expert but that worked for me.

Wow. Quite an improvement. Could you elaborate on your tempo runs? Is it like my recovery runs i.e. hr below 70% or something like that?

Muppet I can't add much more than tommygunn has. Don't know anything about HR training but my tempo runs are 5 miles long, first mile warm up pace then 3 miles at about 85% of my maximum effort and then the last mile as a warm down.  I run 5/6 days a week and mileage depends on whatever race is coming up, never been further than a half marathon and don't intend going any further!

To tell you the truth I changed my diet (cutting out a lot of carbs) and lost over 2 stone in the 2 years and the lighter I got the faster I got. No great science to it but it's worked so far for me. I still like the pints and the odd cigarette so there is probably room for some more improvement!!

10k race at the end of November in Belfast and if I manage sub 43 there I might well give it all up and go back to the good bad old days!!

muppet

Quote from: No1 on October 09, 2014, 10:21:38 PM

Not as smart as thewobbler but for what it's worth my first 10k was 56 mins and I thought I was close to death after that! My PB 2 years later was 43 odds, and the reason for that was tempo runs once a week and interval training once every two weeks. f**king horrible when you are doing them but the tempo runs sort you out big style. By no means am I an expert but that worked for me.

Wow. Quite an improvement. Could you elaborate on your tempo runs? Is it like my recovery runs i.e. hr below 70% or something like that?

Muppet I can't add much more than tommygunn has. Don't know anything about HR training but my tempo runs are 5 miles long, first mile warm up pace then 3 miles at about 85% of my maximum effort and then the last mile as a warm down.  I run 5/6 days a week and mileage depends on whatever race is coming up, never been further than a half marathon and don't intend going any further!

To tell you the truth I changed my diet (cutting out a lot of carbs) and lost over 2 stone in the 2 years and the lighter I got the faster I got. No great science to it but it's worked so far for me. I still like the pints and the odd cigarette so there is probably room for some more improvement!!

10k race at the end of November in Belfast and if I manage sub 43 there I might well give it all up and go back to the good bad old days!!

Good man cheers. I might give that a try. Just did a comfortable 5 mile, starting slow and finishing quick (for me).

I like the sound of that beer mile though!
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Beer mile Gadderin??

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on October 09, 2014, 10:21:38 PM

Take that count fella with you a bit more as he's slowing up badly at the 5 asides on a Monday night.

I try to get out for a run once a week, want to up the distances rather than worry about the times just now.

last run was just shy of 8 miles in about 72 minutes, feckin hill on the home straight kills me, is once a week enough now with the nights closing in?
Hate gyms and thread mills with a passion!

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 10, 2014, 10:03:07 AM
Beer mile Gadderin??

There is an idea!

We could do it all dressed as Cardinals, in honour of Tony Fearon.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Can I just say ye all sicken my hole?

Thanks.

Obviously fair play to ye.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2014, 03:41:50 PM
Beer mile Gadderin??

There is an idea!

How about just a beer Gadderin and f**k the mile run?

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2014, 03:41:50 PM
Beer mile Gadderin??

There is an idea!

AZ turns up with the wrong idea completely.

No1

QuoteTake that count fella with you a bit more as he's slowing up badly at the 5 asides on a Monday night.

You can take a horse to water and all that!!!  As an old classmate and fellow sub keeper for umpteen years I can't be too hard on him!

I'd say that's an agricultural enough Monday night 5 a side!  ;D